Black Watch RTW 8 Jan 21

mungopark

Hi,

We paid the first deposit last year and the second deposit is due imminently.

We have just now declined to pay the second one since we felt that if the cruise doesn,t ever happen then we will have lost even more money.

What do others think please?

Are you paying this second installment and hoping the cruise will happen, or pulling the plug?

You need to read the original terms and conditions and any special new options that Fred are offering.

Scarily I have just paid a cruise balance with another cruise line as not to do so with their terms of conditions would mean I would have lost that balance amount as I would have broken my end of the contract.  If my cruise is later cancelled I will get a full refund  of deposit and balance or credit voucher my choice.

It went against my instinct but in that case it protects my money if they cancel. Unless they go bust but the company is a big one.

You have to do what you feel comfortable with but I just suggest you make an informed choice. 

mungopark, I agree with jerseylily that you need to make an informed choice.  Would Fred. allow you to transfer your deposit to another cruise which sails later in the year, or the following year?  This might be a better option than losing your deposit.

3 hours ago, mungopark said:

Hi,

We paid the first deposit last year and the second deposit is due imminently.

We have just now declined to pay the second one since we felt that if the cruise doesn,t ever happen then we will have lost even more money.

What do others think please?

Are you paying this second installment and hoping the cruise will happen, or pulling the plug?

We are also booked on that cruise and have similar reservations.  We are also booked on the Black Sea cruise from Dover in September but really cannot see that one going ahead.

Thanks, folks.

The way we have thought about this now is to ask “would we buy this cruise today?”

Since we think “no” then we have written off the first deposit.

We are nervous of future cruises.  Luckily we have loved the cruises we have done.  Trying not to look back or forward atm.

I just hope that Fred Olsen are up front with passengers by not taking their money as a means of propping the company up.  We've also enjoyed cruising with them and have several booked for the future.  

There was an item on the TV just the other morning on this subject, and not paying final payments means you will be in breach of contract. Payments must be made, preferably with a credit card, you will have recourse to the credit card company and can get your money back that way. 

But, I would phone Fred Olsen first and ask them what cover you have if the cruise does not happen. To be honest, if this present dilemma is not sorted by next January, we will be in such a mess anyway.

Edited by ovccruiser

Regarding paying by credit card to obtain s75 Consumer Credit Act protection, I don't know if you are aware but there does not appear to be cover should the total cost of the booking exceed £30,000.  This is the cost of the whole trip not the deposit paid.

For many who have booked this cruise or another "Grand Voyage" the booking cost will exceed this.

Also be aware that next years price are high, as far as I can see. If you take a voucher and not transfer your holiday then check out about travel insurance. A cruise with no cover for CV19 could be an expensive holiday if the virus returns as many have suggested.