Norwegian does it again

Nametag

4 hours ago, ray98 said:

#onlytellinghalfthestory

#nclwatercarrier

No reason other than deceit that a cash refund wasn't referenced in the letter had my cruise details in it. The reference to a refund wasn't even in the body of an email message, it was buried in the middle of a form letter that came as an attachment. That's a deliberate decision in hopes of having the cash refund option overlooked. That's what chickenbleep business do.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Waquoit said:

#nclwatercarrier

No reason other than deceit that a cash refund wasn't referenced in the letter had my cruise details in it. The reference to a refund wasn't even in the body of an email message, it was buried in the middle of a form letter that came as an attachment. That's a deliberate decision in hopes of having the cash refund option overlooked. That's what chickenbleep business do.

The information is everywhere and copies of those letters and notices have been posted all throughout this thread.  If you have to try this hard to be a 'victim' then maybe you are exaggerating.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ray98 said:

The information is everywhere and copies of those letters and notices have been posted all throughout this thread.  If you have to try this hard to be a 'victim' then maybe you are exaggerating.

You do realize about 98% of people cruising on NCL don't read these boards right?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Love my butler said:

You do realize about 98% of people cruising on NCL don't read these boards right?

People dont need to be spoon fed with the information. As things are rolling im sure most people at least googled on this subject. Right? at least I hope so...

On 4/7/2020 at 4:14 PM, BirdTravels said:

Instructions for a cash refund were in the letter sent to people.... if they took time to read the letter.... See letter above.... nothing slimy or unethical

So why when I called them did they only offer a FCC and a full refund.  They should have a one size fits all and not several different policies. 

STILL SLIMY AND UNETHICAL.

On 4/6/2020 at 1:21 PM, Liljo22 said:

NCL is giving the refund option to all cruises they cancelled after March 13th so if they cancelled your cruise you will be entitled to a refund.  They will convert it to FCC before the refund though.  Peace of Mind is for people who cancelled before NCL did.  If you cancelled the cruise, you will get a FCC.

This is where I am struggling. We had a cruise departing on March 21st for our kids spring break. Flight was leaving 2 days earlier (March 19th) so were obviously following all of this VERY CLOSELY as it evolved in those days leading up to the shut down. We waited to watch what would happen and finally decided that it would not be responsible to go on that cruises. Decisions needed to be made for us as the window to cancel our flight was imminent. This was on the night of March 12th, literally at 10pm. The next day Norwegian announced the cancellation. 

We have requested the refund and were denied. Its hard for me to see how anyone can look at the specifics of the situation and conclude that we are being treated in a way that is reasonable.

We are going to continue to push on this and so are curious how far others have taken this and what steps might be suggested. Dispute with credit card is for sure, and the BBB. I scoured through other boards here, but this is the only thread I saw on the topic, but happy to be shown others. 

8 hours ago, Nametag said:

So why when I called them did they only offer a FCC and a full refund.

Because YOU called and YOU canceled under the policy in force at the time - "peace of mind" - that allowed for cancellation up to 48 hours in advance of the cruise and your refund was in the form of FCC.  Everyone that cancelled in the same way you did received the same offer, nothing slimy or unethical about that.  ONLY THOSE THAT ALLOWED THE LINE TO CANCEL get the offer of a cash refund.

@WinesAtSea same applies to you - you called and cancelled under the policy in force at the time you called, accepting the terms of that policy which only offered the FCC.

The big difference is WHO cancelled the cruise.  If YOU cancel, they're only obligated to offer the FCC.  If THEY cancel I believe they actually are required to offer a cash refund.

I'm sorry that you feel like you were slighted, but just because you can't get what you want does not make it slimy and unethical to do this.

Edited by hallux
  • Like 3

19 hours ago, ray98 said:

I'm not playing victim. I didn't fall for their deceit. But I think about my parents, they probably would have fallen for it. They are not very computer savvy and they certainly don't visit message boards. That's why NCL hid the cash refund in an attachment, to increase the chances that it wouldn't be seen. I'm rooting for these guys go out of business. Right after I get money back, that is.

• Like 1

This is where I am struggling. We had a cruise departing on March 21st for our kids spring break. Flight was leaving 2 days earlier (March 19th) so were obviously following all of this VERY CLOSELY as it evolved in those days leading up to the shut down. We waited to watch what would happen and finally decided that it would not be responsible to go on that cruises. Decisions needed to be made for us as the window to cancel our flight was imminent. This was on the night of March 12th, literally at 10pm. The next day Norwegian announced the cancellation. 

We have requested the refund and were denied. Its hard for me to see how anyone can look at the specifics of the situation and conclude that we are being treated in a way that is reasonable.

We are going to continue to push on this and so are curious how far others have taken this and what steps might be suggested. Dispute with credit card is for sure, and the BBB. I scoured through other boards here, but this is the only thread I saw on the topic, but happy to be shown others. 

You are entitled to keep trying to get NCL to bend the policy, but I think despite your efforts you’re going to end up with the same result. There has to be a cut-off date, and if a company makes a single exception then they need to make thousands of exceptions.

My mom had a very similar situation on another cruise line, and has accepted it’s just her bad luck that she could have gotten more if she waited. She did what she felt like needed to be done for her peace of mind.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

7 hours ago, WinesAtSea said:

When you canceled    I'm assuming you KNEW the terms you were AGREEING to??    Sorry,  but once the cancel process was completed=   it's a done deal.    You are not entitled to any exception-  although you seem to think you are?       Sorry,  you made a choice that isn't ideal.    And hopefully you will enjoy another cruise.    

7 hours ago, hallux said:

Because YOU called and YOU canceled under the policy in force at the time - "peace of mind" - that allowed for cancellation up to 48 hours in advance of the cruise and your refund was in the form of FCC.  Everyone that cancelled in the same way you did received the same offer, nothing slimy or unethical about that.  ONLY THOSE THAT ALLOWED THE LINE TO CANCEL get the offer of a cash refund.

@WinesAtSea same applies to you - you called and cancelled under the policy in force at the time you called, accepting the terms of that policy which only offered the FCC.

The big difference is WHO cancelled the cruise.  If YOU cancel, they're only obligated to offer the FCC.  If THEY cancel I believe they actually are required to offer a cash refund.

I'm sorry that you feel like you were slighted, but just because you can't get what you want does not make it slimy and unethical to do this.

I understand everything being said, my point is they should not have multiple policies.

19 minutes ago, Nametag said:

I understand everything being said, my point is they should not have multiple policies.

The COVID situation, especially back in march, was changing literally daily.  At the time you canceled, they only had one policy - and that was a policy that you were happy to cancel under - it was certainly a whole lot better than the T&C that you originally signed up for.

At least Royal has similar dual policies.  It's a difference between offering a way out for the customer and offering what they're required to do.

Royal's "Cruise with confidence" policy makes no mention of the ability to get a cash refund.

Carnival mentions their cancellation policy applies to anyone cancelling cruises on or after March 6, either FCC or refund.  Princess, being owned by Carnival, has the same policy.  But, to be fair, Carnival led the cancellation party and did a proactive 60-day suspension rather than take it a month at a time.

MSC is only offering FCC if YOU cancel.  If MSC cancelled the cruise there is an option.

NCL isn't alone in the dual policies...

1 hour ago, Nametag said:

But they were evolving their policies, real time, as COVID-19 was coming crashing down on the world.

Would I have preferred a refund?  Of course.  But I made the decision to cancel.  I made the decision to cancel under the policy at the time understanding what I would get (FCC).  

If you cancelled, you are subject to the terms of the cancellation at the time.  I'm assuming you knew what you were getting when you cancelled?

I complained on this board myself about the insurance premium not being refunded, they did ultimately refund the insurance premium, but my complaint was more that it "sucked" they didn't refund my insurance premium.   I never said I was entitled to it, so for someone who is in a similar boat (no pun intended) as you, I'm confused why you think NCL should be obligated to apply a policy they instituted after you cancelled, to you.  I cancelled my cruise, NCL didn't.   If I waited, NCL would have cancelled and offered me either a refund or even better FCC deal.   Oh well, sucks to be me.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2020 at 1:46 PM, Cindy said:

You are entitled to keep trying to get NCL to bend the policy, but I think despite your efforts you’re going to end up with the same result. There has to be a cut-off date, and if a company makes a single exception then they need to make thousands of exceptions.

My mom had a very similar situation on another cruise line, and has accepted it’s just her bad luck that she could have gotten more if she waited. She did what she felt like needed to be done for her peace of mind.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I appreciate your perspective, as well as the others. 

I think the concern I have is that we had make decisions in real time about an imminent trip. That, to me, is the key distinction between our situation and others who might have proactively canceled for April or beyond. In that way I don't feel I should have to ask for an exception as it doesn't seem to be a distinction in the first place given the time frame. I certainly understand others who have commented here don't agree with that. 

My concern, as it pertains to future cruises with NCL, is being treated fairly. We plan to cruise many, many times over the next 40 years and how the companies handle this sort of situation is precisely how we'll decide how to spend our cruise dollars. In this case I do hope NCL will ultimately agree with me that enforcing a distinction between COVID forcing a cancellation on March 12th and March 13th is arbitrary. 

Thank you for your thoughts.

NCL is giving the refund option to all cruises they cancelled after March 13th so if they cancelled your cruise you will be entitled to a refund.  They will convert it to FCC before the refund though.  Peace of Mind is for people who cancelled before NCL did.  If you cancelled the cruise, you will get a FCC.

We cancelled our cruise on March 11th at the advise of our MD. My husband is 78 with a VP shunt and cardiac stents. Norwegian cancelled the cruise on March 13th. Originally we were under the Peace of mind losing our insurance. Norwegian must have gotten some backlash from this who cancelled first and were not getting a full refund that included their insurance like those who were cancelled by Norwegian because we received a letter announcing that we would now be credited back our insurance. Way to step up Norwegian!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
  • Like 1