Noordam Transpacific Vancouver to Tokyo

Floridastorm

4 hours ago, SilvertoGold said:

Staff staterooms.  I've seen the BBKings in these cabins.

4087 will be obstructed view (lifeboats).

Just to be clear as there is a difference. That area on each side contains 3 outside cabins that are generally occupied by entertainers.  At one time when there was a piano bar the third one in from the elevator on the port side was occupied by the piano bar entertainer. There are also 2 inside cabins in that area that are used by entertainers.

4 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

Good to know.  I will not be choosing G4087 because I would imagine that staff are party goers. By the way did a chat with HAL and as of now none of the ships that go west out of the west coast and Canada  will be cruising in 2020. Actually 4087 is an ocean view as it looks out between two lifeboats.                          

Would you say your "chat with HAL" was with a credible person in their hierarchy above a PCC or the supervisor of a PCC?  The reason I'm asking is that I'm booked on the Oosterdam 40-night sailing September 27 from Seattle to Auckland.  I have Canadian friends who are also booked on this same cruise, but I'm not sure any of them is privy to the information you are.

10 hours ago, DeeDee Groff said:

Would you say your "chat with HAL" was with a credible person in their hierarchy above a PCC or the supervisor of a PCC?  The reason I'm asking is that I'm booked on the Oosterdam 40-night sailing September 27 from Seattle to Auckland.  I have Canadian friends who are also booked on this same cruise, but I'm not sure any of them is privy to the information you are.

To tell you the truth I'm not privy to any info beyond this one customer service person. It may just be the cruises going out of Vancouver and visiting ports in Alaska. However, she did say that there would be no HAL cruises going west in 2020. I assumed that to mean also the west coast of the US. I have an uneasy feeling that HAL is going to cancel all of their cruises worldwide for 2020. I took FCC and OBC in lieu of a refund. However, if they don't cruise in 2020 I will be asking for a refund. The HAL ships are currently involved in repatriating their thousands of employees. That will take at least one month or longer as they are taking them home by ship. A couple of ships were schedule for maintenance and upgrades. There is uncertainty if and when many of the ports will open and what conditions will be placed on the ships. Also, HAL would have to re hire thousands of employees. Not something that can be done overnight. Many would have to be certified and trained to include the initial expense of contracting and travel. Not a pretty picture. 😒

On 4/25/2020 at 2:12 PM, Floridastorm said:

I'm thinking that this Covid-19 thing will be long gone by the end of June and definitely by August so the September 27th sailing to Japan should be a go. However, we never know when HAL will be starting up again. They have an entire industry to basically rebuild with things being delayed for all sorts of reasons even if they get the go approval. The ships will have to be mechanically inspected from stem to stern with any maintenance and repairs done. Probably entire new staffing will have to be hired and trained. Renegotiation and scheduling with ports and other contractual obligations made.  Not easily done quickly. 

There is NO information that it is going away this year.

On 4/25/2020 at 3:22 PM, Floridastorm said:

I had read that most of the cruise lines either fired or let their staff go. With no income I wonder how they would continue to pay thousands of employees, house them, feed them, and generally take care of them. I know that Carnival has let their employees go. At least that is what was reported. Covid-19 is still about 20,000 deaths short of the common Flu deaths that come around in the US every year. The common Flu normally disappears by late Spring. So, I'm banking on that schedule.

This is more like a plague, not the Flu.  Think of it more like AIDS than the Flu---as far as longevity.... we need a vaccine or most of the world to get the virus for it to "go away"

Also, It has killed more people in the US than the flu.  We had more deaths just in the last 2 days than previous/recent 2 day periods. MANY more will die from this coronavirus period. 

43 minutes ago, Mosaic said:

Also, It has killed more people in the US than the flu.  We had more deaths just in the last 2 days than previous/recent 2 day periods. MANY more will die from this coronavirus period. 

Nope. In 2018 there were over 70,000 deaths, 40 million cases, 300,000 hospitalizations. And those were the ones that were known and recorded. That was for the common flu. Bet you and a lot of others didn't know about it as there was no hysteria, no panic, no destruction of the economy, no media hype, etc, etc. Also,  the common flu does have a vaccine. It's 30 to 40% effective but does have quite a few side affects. The majority of Americans never become vaccinated as they feel it is not worth the effort. We have been through SARS, MERS, H1N1(swine flu), Ebola, Zika, H5N1 (bird flu) and have never once shut anything down or gone off the deep end with hysteria. The cruise industry is going to be destroyed. IMO I don't think they can recover. If a lot of cruisers are fine with that then so be it.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

Nope. In 2018 there were over 70,000 deaths, 40 million cases, 300,000 hospitalizations. And those were the ones that were known and recorded. That was for the common flu. Bet you and a lot of others didn't know about it as there was no hysteria, no panic, no destruction of the economy, no media hype, etc, etc. Also,  the common flu does have a vaccine. It's 30 to 40% effective but does have quite a few side affects. The majority of Americans never become vaccinated as they feel it is not worth the effort. We have been through SARS, MERS, H1N1(swine flu), Ebola, Zika, H5N1 (bird flu) and have never once shut anything down or gone off the deep end with hysteria. The cruise industry is going to be destroyed. IMO I don't think they can recover. If a lot of cruisers are fine with that then so be it.

Well stated. Thanks.

3 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

2 hours ago, DFD1 said:

Well stated. Thanks.

NOPE, per the CDC:   CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010.

I did not state since last year.  BUT I DO KNOW THE NUMBER ON THE FLU. AND I DO KNOW THAT THERE IS NOT HISTERA ABOUT IT.   I also know that the vaccine is only partially effective.

HOW IS IT THAT YOU KNOW WHAT I KNOW???????

2 hours ago, Mosaic said:

NOPE, per the CDC:   CDC estimates that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010.

I did not state since last year.  BUT I DO KNOW THE NUMBER ON THE FLU. AND I DO KNOW THAT THERE IS NOT HISTERA ABOUT IT.   I also know that the vaccine is only partially effective.

HOW IS IT THAT YOU KNOW WHAT I KNOW???????

I'm retired for a few years and spend a lot of my time researching things that interest me I would imagine just like yourself. I've been wrong a few times only because of the incorrect statistics that are thrown around the internet. However, I usually rectify my mistakes after someone takes me to task. All I know is that we have had diseases that were a lot worse and more numerous than Covid-19 but that nobody even paid attention much less stopped everything for. The governors and mayors drastically shutting down the country and ruining our economy have no clue how to do a cost-benefit analysis. All they did was react  without thinking things through. Now we have thousands of companies on the edge of bankruptcy and millions of people wandering around saying "what happened".

Edited by Floridastorm

On 5/2/2020 at 3:30 PM, Floridastorm said:

Good to know.  I will not be choosing G4087 because I would imagine that staff are party goers. By the way did a chat with HAL and as of now none of the ships that go west out of the west coast and Canada  will be cruising in 2020. Actually 4087 is an ocean view as it looks out between two lifeboats.                          

Per HAL call my TA had a few days ago, cruise from Vancouver to Japan has not been cancelled. If HAL is still selling this cruise it would be highly unlikely that it is cancelled yet.

We booked a few months ago and I am still keeping my fingers crossed,

2 hours ago, PattiHawaii said:

Per HAL call my TA had a few days ago, cruise from Vancouver to Japan has not been cancelled. If HAL is still selling this cruise it would be highly unlikely that it is cancelled yet.

We booked a few months ago and I am still keeping my fingers crossed,

This is on Holland America's Website today:

Due to continued travel restrictions, port closures, and surrounding global health concerns, along with the recent recommendation by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to extend their previously announced “No Sail Order,” Holland America Line has made the difficult decision to delay the start of the Alaska, Europe, and Canada & New England cruise seasons through June 30, 2020. In addition, we have also made the decision to cancel all 2020 Alaska cruises on the following ships: Maasdam, Volendam, Oosterdam, Noordam and Westerdam. All 2020 Land+Sea Journeys are also cancelled. Although when I  talked with HAL yesterday they definitely stated the Noordam cruise was cancelled for 2020. However, the VTG website still has the cruise as current and in fact has "Reduced Again" in it's info. I never understood why they would cancel a ship that makes only two port calls in Alaska but makes 11 port calls in and around Japan in late September.

@Floridastorm... Noordam Alaska cruises are cancelled for 2020. However, this is not an Alaska cruise. Guess we have to wait until it is closer to June 30 when Canada makes a decision on opening cruise ports. Another option would be for us to embark in Seattle.

Edited by PattiHawaii

10 hours ago, PattiHawaii said:

@Floridastorm... Noordam Alaska cruises are cancelled for 2020. However, this is not an Alaska cruise. Guess we have to wait until it is closer to June 30 when Canada makes a decision on opening cruise ports. Another option would be for us to embark in Seattle.

I would imagine, since VTG (can't put the full name) has the Noordam cruise as current on their website, that it can't be cancelled. If it's on their website then that means you can book the cruise. I would bet that Canada will modify their shutdown currently for July 1st. Doesn't really matter as the Noordam is departing September 27th from Vancouver. Think I might just go ahead and book it using the FCC I have from the cancelled Zaandam cruise to Canada. Might even allow us to get a Signature Suite for an additional payment from our original Ocean View cabin cost. I think that HAL goes to Australia and New Zealand from Seattle on the Oosterdam.

15 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

I would imagine, since VTG (can't put the full name) has the Noordam cruise as current on their website, that it can't be cancelled. If it's on their website then that means you can book the cruise. I would bet that Canada will modify their shutdown currently for July 1st. Doesn't really matter as the Noordam is departing September 27th from Vancouver. Think I might just go ahead and book it using the FCC I have from the cancelled Zaandam cruise to Canada. Might even allow us to get a Signature Suite for an additional payment from our original Ocean View cabin cost. I think that HAL goes to Australia and New Zealand from Seattle on the Oosterdam.

I imagine that you are dreaming.  Just because an online TA has a cruise on its website that certainly doesn't mean that the cruise line cannot cancel the cruise.  Do you really expect the Canadian Government to open the Canada Place Cruise Terminal for one day in September for one cruise ship?  And Alaska to open its ports for one day at the end of a cancelled cruise season for one ship?  While the Noordam may cruise in Asia this Fall, I would expect HAL to publish a revised itinerary for her in the next couple of months.  

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I imagine that you are dreaming.  Just because an online TA has a cruise on its website that certainly doesn't mean that the cruise line cannot cancel the cruise.  Do you really expect the Canadian Government to open the Canada Place Cruise Terminal for one day in September for one cruise ship?  And Alaska to open its ports for one day at the end of a cancelled cruise season for one ship?  While the Noordam may cruise in Asia this Fall, I would expect HAL to publish a revised itinerary for her in the next couple of months.  

So, what is your point? This is a discussion forum and I gave my opinion based on what I know. No, I rarely dream these days. 🛳️

2 hours ago, Floridastorm said:

So, what is your point? This is a discussion forum and I gave my opinion based on what I know. No, I rarely dream these days. 🛳️

Well, I hate to admit it, but I may be wrong.  I had assumed that there was no Alaska cruise season this year.  I just went to the VTG website, searched Alaska cruises from July to September, and there literally hundreds listed from half a dozen cruise lines including the Koningsdam from HAL.  I had thought about (dreamed) taking the Noordam to Asia in September, but it looked less likely to happen, particularly out of Vancouver.  I have been following the price on VTG the past two months and haven't noticed any change, although a couple of weeks ago they deleted the first part from Vancouver and then reinstated it a few days later.  I won't consider booking it until it is more of a sure thing, particularly since I am still waiting on a refund from my 29 February to 14 March Westerdam cruise.

I would imagine, since VTG (can't put the full name) has the Noordam cruise as current on their website, that it can't be cancelled

Bolding is mine.  Just because a cruise is listed on VTG or on the HAL website for that matter doesn’t mean that it can’t be cancelled.

. If it's on their website then that means you can book the cruise. I would bet that Canada will modify their shutdown currently for July 1st

Well, being Canadian, I wouldn’t bet on them being modified.  They may even be extended.  Canada is having relatively good success with covid 19 - more than the U.S.  I have some doubts if it’s not under control in the U.S. if the borders will be opened and I can just about guarantee that B.C. will NOT want the port opened if isn’t under control in North America.

JMO of course.  We’re cautious here in Canada and our results show it 😉 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, kazu said:

Bolding is mine.  Just because a cruise is listed on VTG or on the HAL website for that matter doesn’t mean that it can’t be cancelled.

Well, being Canadian, I wouldn’t bet on them being modified.  They may even be extended.  Canada is having relatively good success with covid 19 - more than the U.S.  I have some doubts if it’s not under control in the U.S. if the borders will be opened and I can just about guarantee that B.C. will NOT want the port opened if isn’t under control in North America.

JMO of course.  We’re cautious here in Canada and our results show it 😉 

I meant to say "won't" be cancelled. My mistake. I guarantee that if Canada maintains it's shutdown until July 1st or even longer that Canada's economy will be in shambles just like it would be in the US. Have you spoken with a business person lately to get their take on all of this? Being Canadian has nothing to do with it. Businesses, jobs, and eating regularly have everything to do with it.

12 minutes ago, Floridastorm said:

I meant to say "won't" be cancelled. My mistake. I guarantee that if Canada maintains it's shutdown until July 1st or even longer that Canada's economy will be in shambles just like it would be in the US. Have you spoken with a business person lately to get their take on all of this? Being Canadian has nothing to do with it. Businesses, jobs, and eating regularly have everything to do with it.

Well, time will tell.  We’ve taken a different strategy than the U.S. and here the Federal Government is united and working with the provinces.  There is financial support for businesses, people who need it, etc.  It’s worked much better than where you are to put it mildly.

our networks aren’t crashing and are banks already implemented strategies to help people and businesses long ago.  Our banks are strong so they can do this stuff without suffering long term.

And yes, I have spoken to business people - I spent my life in business.  Most would rather not open if they or their employees are at risk.  All kinds of businesses have found ways to operate with curb side service and no contact.

Rather than revolt about this, people have gotten innovative and try to do a “chin up” attitude.  

And forgive me, but being Canadian has EVERYTHING to do with this.  It’s our health, our risk when the ports open.  Our Government is acting wisely on the advice of scientists and physicians as our provincial authorities.  

We’re going to have a huge deficit when this is over (as is the U.S.) but at least the money is getting to the people who need it and our military is being put into use to assist if needed.

I digress, sorry.  But, Canada has made a stand that our health or the health of our mothers, sisters, fathers, brothers, next door neighbours is valuable.  And we are doing our best to protect it.

Of all the ports, I suspect B.C. would be the last to open but again, that’s JMO.  If we eliminate the virus (with luck)  with our strategies, I doubt anyone wants it back if other countries haven’t and Fall threatens a second wave. 😞 

• Like 6

Well, as a Vancouverite I can say that I highly doubt that our outstanding Public Health Officer will open our port to cruises for the remainder of this year.  We took a bit of a hit with travellers from Wash. state bringing cases our way early on and It is highly unlikely she will want to take a step back after all the work B.C. has done in flattening our curve.

By the way, New Brunswick kudos to you, your curve has flatlined. 

• Like 2