How many cruises would have to go before you will take a cruise

Shaver John

I feel fairly confident that it will not be individual cruise lines determining the timing of the restart of cruising or the measured needed for for protection. Too much of a liability.

Once all that is formalized, individuals can decide how much risk they wish to take.  There is almost nothing  concerning travel that does not have an element of risk.  

Personally I am having a hard time visualizing large groups of individual passengers from all over the world visiting many different places.  Cruise ships and places like Disney World are very unclear to me.  

Even a hope of some kind of vaccine that everyone in the world has to take before one feels safe, seems far fetched to me.  

3 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

COVID 19 is contagious and not fully understood.  There may be many people that have had it with no negative affects.

Comparing a  spike in daily deaths to a multi year average daily rate is absurd.  You actually think more people will die from the COVID-19 virus than Heart issues?  Over 350K a year?  The Heart issue deaths might be slightly lower during this short period because they were classified  or presumed as  COVID-19 impacted, but they will still be much more significant.  

Please  do not think that these facts are meant to imply that we do not need to be cautious and methodical as we open up our country.  There are many many positive things going on.  The work by many people in this country has been amazing including the Federal Government and many State Governments.  A vast majority of Americans have made many sacrifices for their fellow Americans.  The front line essential workers have been phenomenal.  It should make us both proud and thankful for those who’s work is often overlooked.  

Even if we do cruise again, someday, providing the criteria I mentioned on here weeks ago are met (which so far doesn’t seem imminent), it would most likely be to someplace close and easy, and for one cruise or just two B2B cruises only. However, except for (perhaps) Mexico, I haven’t seen any indication that any of the ports will be welcoming cruise ships for quite awhile. A friend lives on a sailboat at Nanny Cay in the BVI. They have to shelter at home without even trips to the grocery store. Many of the people on these islands don’t have the food storage options we have, and certainly those living on sailboats do not. It sounds rather dire, and now there are security concerns on top of everything else. 

Islands facing these kinds of issues will not be open for cruise ship business anytime soon. It’s not a matter of needing the money...they don’t have the medical facilities to handle anymore patients than they currently have and, especially after the hurricanes of recent years, they are having trouble meeting the daily needs of their residents. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, PescadoAmarillo said:

... A friend lives on a sailboat at Nanny Cay in the BVI. They have to shelter at home without even trips to the grocery store. Many of the people on these islands don’t have the food storage options we have, and certainly those living on sailboats do not. It sounds rather dire, and now there are security concerns on top of everything else.  Islands facing these kinds of issues will not be open for cruise ship business anytime soon. It’s not a matter of needing the money...they don’t have the medical facilities to handle anymore patients than they currently have and, especially after the hurricanes of recent years, they are having trouble meeting the daily needs of their residents. 

Coincidentally the NYT published an article on the boat situation around the USVI and the government there shares the concerns you posted above.  They can hardly handle their own issues, needless to say those of cruise ships.  And I suspect the USVI and BVI are in better shape than other islands, St. Maarten in particular.

"The islands do not have the resources to handle such an outbreak. Medical professionals say the two hospitals on St. Thomas and St. Croix are understaffed and together have 20 intensive care unit beds"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/17/travel/coronavirus-stjohn-caribbean.html?action=click&module=Editors Picks&pgtype=Homepage

Edited by bluesea321

We are looking at a Calif coastal cruise in October, low cost and no travel involved.   Listening to the CEO's talk on MSNBC, cruising will not start until it is socially acceptable, i.e. when people start going to the movies or large sports stadiums etc.,  We would not risk $$ flying to another country or even to the east coast in case things get weird again.  if cruises are going along with no issues, we will get on as soon as possible.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jagoffee said:

COVID 19 is contagious and not fully understood.  There may be many people that have had it with no negative affects.

Comparing a  spike in daily deaths to a multi year average daily rate is absurd.  You actually think more people will die from the COVID-19 virus than Heart issues?  Over 350K a year?  The Heart issue deaths might be slightly lower during this short period because they were classified  or presumed as  COVID-19 impacted, but they will still be much more significant.  

Please  do not think that these facts are meant to imply that we do not need to be cautious and methodical as we open up our country.  There are many many positive things going on.  The work by many people in this country has been amazing including the Federal Government and many State Governments.  A vast majority of Americans have made many sacrifices for their fellow Americans.  The front line essential workers have been phenomenal.  It should make us both proud and thankful for those who’s work is often overlooked.  

You lost me - what does the honourable work that so many people are doing have to do with the initial argument which was the incorrect comparison of Covid-19 to the seasonal flu?  

6 hours ago, jagoffee said:

You actually think more people will die from the COVID-19 virus than Heart issues?  Over 350K a year?  The Heart issue deaths might be slightly lower during this short period because they were classified  or presumed as  COVID-19 impacted, but they will still be much more significant.  

I do not get your point on the comparison.......heart disease is not contagious???