Flights By Celebrity - Refunds

HBDave

I had nonrefundable flights booked by Flights by Celebrity on JetBlue and Norwegian Air and both flights were canceled by the Airlines. Based on the US Department of Transportation Web Site, if a flight is canceled by the airline, you are entitled to a refund even if the original fare was nonrefundable. I contacted Flights by Celebrity and they put me on hold and proceed to cancel my reservations and came back on the line and said I have a 1-year future credit with each of the airlines. I told them I wanted to refund and they directed me to contact the airlines. I did, and they told me since the tickets were purchased by Flights by Celebrity, I'd need to contact my TA and have them request the refunds. (Catch-22). I'm really starting to regret that I used Flights by Celebrity and I would have been much better off using a real Travel Agent or booking them myself. I know this problem may seem trivial in today's world, but I'm just looking for any suggestions from folks who may have dealt with this. 

Edited by HBDave
  • Thanks 1

From personal experience I had some flights (non-refundable) booked with ChoiceAir for United and American.  In my case the flights weren't cancelled but the cruise was.    In both cases I was able to cancel myself by calling the airline and received a full refund under their revised waiver programs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

There have been multiple posts on this subject in a wide variety of threads. While waiting for answers here, I recommend that you use the search facility to look at past posts.

The search facility sucks.  Since you've noticed multiple posts on this subject, why don't you give him a few links.   That would be helpful.   He's not a frequent poster and probably doesn't know how to navigate the boards.  🍷

• Like 3

4 hours ago, HBDave said:

I had nonrefundable flights booked by Flights by Celebrity on JetBlue and Norwegian Air and both flights were canceled by the Airlines. Based on the US Department of Transportation Web Site, if a flight is canceled by the airline, you are entitled to a refund even if the original fare was nonrefundable. I contacted Flights by Celebrity and they put me on hold and proceed to cancel my reservations and came back on the line and said I have a 1-year future credit with each of the airlines. I told them I wanted to refund and they directed me to contact the airlines. I did, and they told me since the tickets were purchased by Flights by Celebrity, I'd need to contact my TA and have them request the refunds. (Catch-22). I'm really starting to regret that I used Flights by Celebrity and I would have been much better off using a real Travel Agent or booking them myself. I know this problem may seem trivial in today's world, but I'm just looking for any suggestions from folks who may have dealt with this. 

U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) requires any airline operating to/from the U.S. to refund you if the airline cancels the flight. You don't have to "settle" for a future flight credit. The airlines are trying to conserve cash and are banking on people not knowing their rights as consumers. In recent weeks the DOT has come down hard on airlines advising customers they are only entitled to future flight credits.

Call back to Flights by Celebrity. They are able to verify both airlines have cancelled your flights. They will open a refund request on your behalf. You need to mention the DOT rules, indicating to them you know your rights! This is what folks on the Roll Call thread for my cancelled cruise are doing. 

And just for your own information and curiosity, log into your credit card account and see who the charge went to when you originally bought your flights. Was the charge to Flights By Celebrity, or to JetBlue and Norwegian Air? 

https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/flight-delays-cancellations

Flight Cancellations

What happens when my flight is cancelled? 

• If your flight is cancelled and you choose to cancel your trip as a result, you are entitled to a refund for the unused transportation – even for non-refundable tickets.  You are also entitled to a refund for any bag fee that you paid, and any extras you may have purchased, such as a seat assignment.  
Edited by BEAV
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, BEAV said:

U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) requires any airline operating to/from the U.S. to refund you if the airline cancels the flight. You don't have to "settle" for a future flight credit. The airlines are trying to conserve cash and are banking on people not knowing their rights as consumers. In recent weeks the DOT has come down hard on airlines advising customers they are only entitled to future flight credits.

Call back to Flights by Celebrity. They are able to verify both airlines have cancelled your flights. They will open a refund request on your behalf. You need to mention the DOT rules, indicating to them you know your rights! This is what folks on the Roll Call thread for my cancelled cruise are doing. 

And just for your own information and curiosity, log into your credit card account and see who the charge went to when you originally bought your flights. Was the charge to Flights By Celebrity, or to JetBlue and Norwegian Air? 

https://www.transportation.gov/individuals/aviation-consumer-protection/flight-delays-cancellations

Flight Cancellations

What happens when my flight is cancelled? 

• If your flight is cancelled and you choose to cancel your trip as a result, you are entitled to a refund for the unused transportation – even for non-refundable tickets.  You are also entitled to a refund for any bag fee that you paid, and any extras you may have purchased, such as a seat assignment.  

Thank You very much for your detailed response.

22 minutes ago, Ontario Cruiser said:

I was denied refund for the air from Celebrity so have put in a claim with our credit card insurance.

Canadian government has protected  our airlines stating that only vouchers provided.

Stay safe everyone

OntarioCruiser

Where was your flight to have operated to/from?

4 minutes ago, BEAV said:

Where was your flight to have operated to/from?

Barcelona to Toronto May 9 2020 

No credit showing in my Westjet travel bank yet. I will check on Monday as mentioned before Westjet said they hadn't been paid by ChoiceAir which is the travel agent for the booking. 

OntarioCruiser

8 minutes ago, Ontario Cruiser said:

Barcelona to Toronto May 9 2020 

No credit showing in my Westjet travel bank yet. I will check on Monday as mentioned before Westjet said they hadn't been paid by ChoiceAir which is the travel agent for the booking. 

OntarioCruiser

Thanks. Had it been a WestJet flight from Ft Lauderdale to Toronto, for example, then US DOT rules would apply.

Edited by BEAV

Here's another thread where Flights by Celebrity is sending their customers back to the airline for resolution. 

HBDave, I hope the info in this thread will helpful to you.

Ontario Cruiser, I'm assuming EC261 would also apply to you?  Were your flights cancelled by WestJet?