Odd cancellation letter from Carnival

dritan

Hi

Wonder if you can help folks?  When our Carnival Legend cruise was cancelled  on 1st April , I went on their website and selected the refund option ( for a $600 deposit).  We're based in the UK so are unlikely to use Carnival in the next 2 years. 

I got a letter via email yesterday which states that "as you know, your cruise fare carries a non-refundable deposit. However, we've extended a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit received less a $50pp service fee!!

At the bottom it lists our 4 names and a penalty assessment column with a $200 against both my kids names and 0$ against mine and my parents.  So looks like all they are offering is a $400 future cruise credit and have taken $200!

This sounds wrong. Has anyone else had this issue.

I've responded to the email but suspect it's a generic mailbox as the email address is gfaxnotify@carnival.com.  There doesn't appear to be a phone number I can call on the Carnival website as the Contact Us webpage is blank.

Thanks guys!

Actually just checked by credit card statement and we had paid $800 deposit and not $600 so I'm really not understanding this letter.  As it now seems that they are taking $400 off us for cancellation fees!  

You could call and ask. But as mentioned above I wouldn't worry. I took the fcc when carnival canceled my cruise and rebooked and everything shows correctly online. I also recieved an email saying I canceld my cruise and told me about the cancellation penalty.  

That's reassuring that others have had this weird letter.  I'll hold fire as the deposit refund will take some time based on what I see from this board.  Thanks to both of you for the support. 

Carnival cancelled my August cruise. When I got my first notification there was a $400 cancellation charge.  I contacted my PVP and he said that was a computer generated letter and to just igore the charge. A couple of weeks later I received another notification with the charge removed. So I would just ignore this for the time being.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bramptonroy said:

Carnival cancelled my August cruise. When I got my first notification there was a $400 cancellation charge.  I contacted my PVP and he said that was a computer generated letter and to just igore the charge. A couple of weeks later I received another notification with the charge removed. So I would just ignore this for the time being.

I'm interested in this too. We're on Panorama at the beginning of August and haven't heard anything about our cruise. Did they cancel it for something other than Covid?

3 hours ago, leen50 said:

We are booked on the Dream Aug 17, from Galveston TX. No cancellation as yet. What itinerary of yours was cancelled?

37 minutes ago, Mslynn79 said:

I'm interested in this too. We're on Panorama at the beginning of August and haven't heard anything about our cruise. Did they cancel it for something other than Covid?

20200417_184337.jpg

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mslynn79 said:

Carnival said our Panorama cruise will sail on June 27th. We are ready to go with fingers crossed that the no essential travel ban will be lifted and we will be able to fly to Long Beach.

Edited by Linda the Book Lover

10 hours ago, Linda the Book Lover said:

Carnival said our Panorama cruise will sail on June 27th. We are ready to go with fingers crossed that the no essential travel ban will be lifted and we will be able to fly to Long Beach.

Yeah, based on the guidelines currently for CA and the plan our Gov. laid out, I wouldn't bank on that cruise happening. Also, aren't cruise lines on a 100 day ban that goes until the end of July anyway? 

On 4/17/2020 at 12:17 PM, dritan said:

Hi

Wonder if you can help folks?  When our Carnival Legend cruise was cancelled  on 1st April , I went on their website and selected the refund option ( for a $600 deposit).  We're based in the UK so are unlikely to use Carnival in the next 2 years. 

I got a letter via email yesterday which states that "as you know, your cruise fare carries a non-refundable deposit. However, we've extended a future cruise credit in the amount of the deposit received less a $50pp service fee!!

At the bottom it lists our 4 names and a penalty assessment column with a $200 against both my kids names and 0$ against mine and my parents.  So looks like all they are offering is a $400 future cruise credit and have taken $200!

This sounds wrong. Has anyone else had this issue.

I've responded to the email but suspect it's a generic mailbox as the email address is gfaxnotify@carnival.com.  There doesn't appear to be a phone number I can call on the Carnival website as the Contact Us webpage is blank.

Thanks guys!

I did get a similar letter for my cancelled Radiance cruise.  I took the refund option but as you mentioned the letter said I will be getting a future cruise credit with a penalty.  I called Carnival and they said my record shows I will be getting a full refund, not the future cruise credit and no penalty. I would call to confirm but you should be fine.

1 hour ago, Mslynn79 said:

Yeah, based on the guidelines currently for CA and the plan our Gov. laid out, I wouldn't bank on that cruise happening. Also, aren't cruise lines on a 100 day ban that goes until the end of July anyway? 

The 100 day ban is from March 14th and was extended https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/No-Sail-Order-Cruise-Ships_Extension_4-9-20-encrypted.pdf I am hoping the phases work out and those out of work can go back and business owners can reopen and sooner rather than later all while we mend and get well. I am not a government official or even a good guesser but I can hope our cruise will sail on July 27th. I agree Mslynn79 about banking the on sailing but I sure am praying we do. 

47 minutes ago, Linda the Book Lover said:

The 100 day ban is from March 14th and was extended https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/pdf/No-Sail-Order-Cruise-Ships_Extension_4-9-20-encrypted.pdf I am hoping the phases work out and those out of work can go back and business owners can reopen and sooner rather than later all while we mend and get well. I am not a government official or even a good guesser but I can hope our cruise will sail on July 27th. I agree Mslynn79 about banking the on sailing but I sure am praying we do. 

No, it is a 100 days from the new publication date of 4/9, which puts it at July 24th. And you said June 27th in the post I quoted, not July. 

That said, it may not matter either way on the Panorama as I highly doubt California will allow it and out of it's ports in June or July. Our Governor has already said mass gatherings of any size (100s or 1000s) will be negligible for June, July & August short of some drastic changes. I would say embarking and disembarking a ship of that size falls into that. The cruise lines can claim whatever they want, they will have to refer to local government. 

I do however completely understand holding out hope. I think it's the only thing we can do to mentally get through this. So for you, I hope you get to sail!

12 hours ago, Mslynn79 said:

No, it is a 100 days from the new publication date of 4/9, which puts it at July 24th. And you said June 27th in the post I quoted, not July. 

That said, it may not matter either way on the Panorama as I highly doubt California will allow it and out of it's ports in June or July. Our Governor has already said mass gatherings of any size (100s or 1000s) will be negligible for June, July & August short of some drastic changes. I would say embarking and disembarking a ship of that size falls into that. The cruise lines can claim whatever they want, they will have to refer to local government. 

I do however completely understand holding out hope. I think it's the only thing we can do to mentally get through this. So for you, I hope you get to sail!

Mslynn - I forgot all about the mass gathering! Thanks for the reminder about the large groups of people. I think because I wanted to take this cruise with my adult children so much I focused on everything will be fine instead of the other points in the phases. Thanks for your well wishes. I hope we get to sail too!  

• Like 1

Leen50, the cruise that was cancelled was an Alaska cruise out of San Francisco. Mslynn79, it was a general cancellation of all cruises from San Francisco. I was rebooking on a cruise from Miami in Sep 2021 and expected to pay off the new cruise with the money from the cancelled cruise. I also expected a bunch of OBC so I was not thrilled to see the cancellation charge. But all came good eventually.

• Like 2

On 4/17/2020 at 2:28 PM, leen50 said:

We are booked on the Dream Aug 17, from Galveston TX. No cancellation as yet. What itinerary of yours was cancelled?

We are from Taylor May 11 Dream cruise was cancelled  Re booked Dream for Sept 15  so if you get to go we should as well. Here's hoping

Edited by 48traveler
  • Like 1