Covid-19 Antibody Test

Bruin Steve

So...I had a strange illness a while ago now...that, at the time, neither my doctor nor I could figure out...The symptoms (including a red rash over the torso and legs with only minor itching and appearing and disappearing fairly quickly) were strange and it all went away in about a week-10 days or so.  Recently, I read where the "rash" appears to be a symptom of Covid-19 that appears in just over 20% of all Covid patients--even those with few other noticeable symptoms...But, at the time, no one was discussing this particular symptom...It was a bit early in the Covid-19 timeline and I had not traveled outside the country to China/Asia or Italy in the time frame immediately preceding...

Thought little of it at the time (though I easily might have come into contact with someone else who may have recently traveled to LA from China), but, in light of the recent stories on this particular symptom, I figured I'd email my health provider...I thought, if an Antibody test may show that I've already undergone some form of the virus and now have antibodies/immunity, I would feel a lot more comfortable cruising again as soon as any restrictions are lifted...

Anyway, today, I received a response to my inquiry from another doctor at my health provider.  The gist of the response was:

1)  They believe the antibody test shows too many false negatives AND false positives since it often doesn't detect antibodies after a mild case of Covid-19 and that the Covid-19 virus is so similar to some other recent coronaviruses--so, any antibodies may be to some other form of the virus--even the common cold...

2)  They don't have any antibody tests to give anyway, at present, so, basically, I am not getting one any time in the foreseeable future.

Well, I had a little hope for a moment or two!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Even when a reliable antibody test comes along, it may not tell you how long any immunity will last. Dr Birx made that point today during the White House press briefing. 

Edited by RICCruisers

Our next door neighbour had Covid. He had a very high temp up to 40C and was very unwell for about a week. He is in his mid forties. Muscle ache and fatigue. And - diaorhea! I guess anyone's body can react in any way it sees fit to this goddam virus!

I dont think the antibody test is all that helpful but what would be of great value for cruisers and travellers, is a very quick (less than an hour) diagnostic test for it.

I don't think people should put much stock in the antibody tests for the foreseeable future in terms of opening things back up.  Too many are too unreliable at the moment and there is still some question as to whether or not having antibodies protects you from getting COVID19 again. These things are more useful for research purposes but are being oversold as a silver bullet. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are a lot of AB tests by many different companies developed and being developed.  In the US it is the FDA (not the CDC) that evaluates and approves them in a "normal" process.  Unfortunately with the rush to get these tests out there in use, there will be fewer standards and consistency with them.  That will cloud the results and do more harm than good in the short term in trying to evaluate if positive antibody results are protective or not.  Everything is so complicated!

• Like 1