Doctors note

ranchette

Despite anything that was required in the past no one knows at this point what the requirements will be for anyone who will be sailing whenever the cruise line starts operating again.

At this point a doctors note would be useless anyway even if you could find a doc that would actually give you one.

It should be interesting to see how this plays out.

Edited by ColeThornton
  • Like 3

The only requirement that I have read about so far is that anyone over 70 would be required to have a safe to travel form filled out by a physician dated with the 7 days of embarkation. But, of course, there is no form available on the NCL web site. So, I am waiting for a reply from NCL to my inquiry as to which form I would be required to bring. Bring the wrong one and, if you are over 70, you will be left on the peir.

2 hours ago, ranchette said:

Is NCL requiring a doctors note to get onboard?

I called on Friday to question the letter. The response I got from NCL was that since no cruises have left since the original Dr note came up they are not sure what the procedure will be. I pointed out that they still have it under piece of mind. I would take that with a grain of salt as the supervisor had no answer either.

2 minutes ago, ellasmomanddad said:

It is worth mentioning that I was told that if a passenger is denied that reservation will be refunded but anybody traveling with that party on a separate reservation would not.

It's a moot point now, but just out of curiosity who was it that told you that?

Ncl rep and there supervisor. I called for clarification. I called because I wanted to see if there was anyway of determining if my dad would get denied before he got to the port. He is in remission from lung cancer so I kind of assumed and hoped the answer would be he can’t come. The answer I got was we don’t know. The rep noted I had two separate reservations. The room with my parents would get a refund if the old man is denied I would not. I made the mistake of booking a week apart instead of two rooms at the same time. 

Edited by ellasmomanddad
Pronouns pal

11 minutes ago, ellasmomanddad said:

Ncl rep and there supervisor. I called for clarification. I called because I wanted to see if there was anyway of determining if my dad would get denied before he got to the port. He is in remission from lung cancer so I kind of assumed and hoped the answer would be he can’t come. The answer I got was we don’t know. The rep noted I had two separate reservations. The room with my parents would get a refund if the old man is denied I would not. I made the mistake of booking a week apart instead of two rooms at the same time. 

Not sure it would have mattered. When I was ill a few years back with the insurance because we were flying to the port (don't bother from home ports) I was covered if we cancelled. My husband wasn't ill and wouldn't be covered if he did't go on the cruise.

1 hour ago, latebloomer56 said:

Not sure it would have mattered. When I was ill a few years back with the insurance because we were flying to the port (don't bother from home ports) I was covered if we cancelled. My husband wasn't ill and wouldn't be covered if he did't go on the cruise.

Hi latebloomer56,

Which travel insurance policy did you have that told you your husband was not covered to cancel because you were ill?

Steve Dasseos

18 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Hi latebloomer56,

Which travel insurance policy did you have that told you your husband was not covered to cancel because you were ill?

Steve Dasseos

Just the standard one we take when we fly to a cruise port through the cruise line. That time it was Princess with extra coverage offered to Platinum level. I was covered he was not. We went the afternoon I had chemo and we still had a nice time just couldn't taste anything so lost out on all the stops in Europe. Excuse to go back again.

On 4/20/2020 at 7:59 AM, ranchette said:

Is NCL requiring a doctors note to get onboard?

they had a form on NCL.com, considering they are canceling cruise i doubt very much they required that note anymore, however some people are experiencing their doctors not wanting to sign that note, ours included.

I saw a form on the boards for one of the cruise lines, don't remember which one. My first thought was I would fill it out myself (not with my real doctors name) and hand it in. They're not going to check. Similar to the form we've always had to sign saying we haven't had a cold in 14 days or whatever.

On the other point when we  did the Pearl and Sun in March, they didn't check temperatures on the Pearl but when we heard they would on the Sun, our plan was if one of us gets denied, they go to a hotel and the other takes the cruise. Don't know if we would have followed up on that but we both passed anyway. 

They would lose too many customers if they required everyone to have a doctor’s note. There’s a lot of uninsured people, people who wouldn’t want the hassle, people who wouldn’t on principle (it’s invasive), and people who couldn’t get one. They won’t start requiring them unless the government orders them to. As for only certain populations having to have one, that’s discrimination and a class-action lawsuit would be sure to follow.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, latebloomer56 said:

Just the standard one we take when we fly to a cruise port through the cruise line. That time it was Princess with extra coverage offered to Platinum level. I was covered he was not. We went the afternoon I had chemo and we still had a nice time just couldn't taste anything so lost out on all the stops in Europe. Excuse to go back again.

I'm surprised to hear that the Princess Platinum doesn't include coverage for a traveling companion or family member. Even the not very good third party trip cancellation plans include coverage for a traveling companion or family member.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, iamtrustworthy said:

I'm surprised to hear that the Princess Platinum doesn't include coverage for a traveling companion or family member. Even the not very good third party trip cancellation plans include coverage for a traveling companion or family member.

Well things change hope we never need to find out. Still sail with them as we book by where and when not on which line for the past few years.

22 hours ago, StackSkipton said:

My guess is when they start back up, its going to be temp checks at check in unless rapid test is available. Maybe even daily temp checks when you enter any of the restaurants. 

I can only imagine if someone’s temperature is high when tested at the entrance to the dining room.  My guess is that everyone will scatter like cockroaches when you turn on the lights. will those within 6 feet of them be quarrentined now too?  What will happen when the cruise ship pulls into port with suspected corona virus cases?

• Like 1

If any of these these things that are being discussed on this thread come to pass we are done with cruising. On to new adventures.

We have one cruise booked for April 2021 but only 2 cruisenext certificats that we will lose if we have to give up cruising. I am hoping for the best and that we will get to go but this is looking less and less likely. I will not jump through hoops to cruise.

• Like 3

The restrictions in regard to age and chronic conditions will not be decided upon by the individual cruise lines.  CLIA will negotiate the guidelines with CDC and others.  All CLIA lines will need to adhere to the requirements.  Currently, we are looking at a Dr. Authorization for those over 70.  Such authorization might read "I hereby certify that this patient does not suffer from any chronic illness (e.g. heart, lung, liver or kidney disease or immunodeficiency status due to HIV/AIDS, cancer or diabetes) which would make this patient susceptible to complications arising after infection with the Novel Coronavirus (2019- nCoV)/COVID-19"

Prior to embarkation each guest will also be asked if they have are under treatment for or known to have any chronic conditions or conditions which lower their immune system.  IF the passenger answers yes, they will be sent for secondary screening.  They should only be denied boarding if they have a contagious disease or are obviously too ill to cruise.  This could be temporary and the over 70 letter could be modified to a self-declare type of authorization.  One thing for sure, and this is my opinion, if people lie on this form, such as they say they do not have any conditions and it comes to be known they do, they should be put off the ship at the next port and held in the "lower cabin" aka the brig until such time.  May be harsh, but why is their vacation more important than the health of others.   Princess and Celebrity have all the above posted on their site.

• Like 2

On 4/20/2020 at 12:15 PM, latebloomer56 said:

You must have had some poor insurance. We had a similar situation where my father in law was diagnosed with cancer the week before the cruise so he and my mother in law could not go. AIG covered the cruise and air fare for the both of them.

On 4/21/2020 at 10:52 AM, spanishguy1970 said:

they had a form on NCL.com, considering they are canceling cruise i doubt very much they required that note anymore, however some people are experiencing their doctors not wanting to sign that note, ours included.

I would appreciate it if you could post a link to this form. I spent a lot of time on the NCL web site and could find no such form.

Since no cruises are going to sail anytime soon, probably for months, if then, and the note must be issued no more than 7 days from the cruise date, this is all way to much up in the air to put much effort into at the moment....my opinion.   So much subject to change.