Doctors note

ranchette

3 hours ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

I would appreciate it if you could post a link to this form. I spent a lot of time on the NCL web site and could find no such form.

well sorry could not find it. It used to be in the required document section. My travel agent sent it to us when we still thought we were cruising on the 19th, maybe just maybe because they removed it. I would ask your travel adviser.

7 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

well sorry could not find it. It used to be in the required document section. My travel agent sent it to us when we still thought we were cruising on the 19th, maybe just maybe because they removed it. I would ask your travel adviser.

I would think the original 'over 70' letter NCL had will be go through modification if they are going to require it.

It makes sense that if/when CLIA comes to agreement with the CDC, all cruise lines would be posting the same requirements which might require such a letter.    However, my over 70 DH is in much better health than many under that age.   Will they give notice to all of any age that they must have such a letter if they have one of the co-morbidity factors?

13 hours ago, SouthLyonCruiser said:

You must have had some poor insurance. We had a similar situation where my father in law was diagnosed with cancer the week before the cruise so he and my mother in law could not go. AIG covered the cruise and air fare for the both of them.

This is the dr form that was required right before the last cruises. I meant to quote this to your other post.

805138493_NCLDoctorForm.pdf

Edited by Lorey2007

Rather than spend an untold amount of time on hold with NCL; I asked my travel agent to look into this for me. 

NCL is not, at this time, requiring a fit to travel form. But, if they do reinstate the policy, travel agents will be notified ahead of time.

I just love having a reliable travel agent.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Lorey2007 said:

This is the dr form that was required right before the last cruises. I meant to quote this to your other post.

805138493_NCLDoctorForm.pdf 935.02 kB · 27 downloads

Thanks, as per my post below, they have eliminated this requirement. But, I did run off a copy of this form. I can't thank you enough.

Lots of info out there. Male/African Americans are being hit hard.  Also obese people with diabetes fall into that category of deaths according to NY/NJ.

How do Cruise Lines put a form in place to protect themselves/passengers?  They don't!  Are you African-American, therefore you can not board since at higher risk?  What if over 70 years old and perfect health? Are you obese?!!  You can't board? 

Good grief. Civil Liberties.

No one should sign these forms. Screw these Cruise Lines who require it.  JMO.

Cruise Lines need to step up and PROVE how I/we will cruise again in safe conditions .

Good luck to all to who are persistent in cruising.  🙂

These forms will soon be nonexistent.  If they are required by Cruise Lines...count me out.

JMO 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OceanBlueWaters said:

Lots of info out there. Male/African Americans are being hit hard.  Also obese people with diabetes fall into that category of deaths according to NY/NJ.

How do Cruise Lines put a form in place to protect themselves/passengers?  They don't!  Are you African-American, therefore you can not board since at higher risk?  What if over 70 years old and perfect health? Are you obese?!!  You can't board? 

Good grief. Civil Liberties.

No one should sign these forms. Screw these Cruise Lines who require it.  JMO.

Cruise Lines need to step up and PROVE how I/we will cruise again in safe conditions .

Good luck to all to who are persistent in cruising.  🙂

These forms will soon be nonexistent.  If they are required by Cruise Lines...count me out.

JMO 🙂

I totally agree that is why I'm not putting any more money on my reservation which is only $100.

1 hour ago, ElvisTheCat said:

It's my understanding the RCI has rescinded this requirement.  I wonder if NCL will do the same soon.  I think the cruise lines would lose a lot of customers with this kind of requirement.

Yes that's the case (and I'm assuming for now that NCL will abandon it as well if they haven't already) Here's a portion of a copy of info for Royal folks:

https://loyaltoyoualways.com/service/coronavirusupdate/

• We are currently laser-focused on additional safety enhancements for our return to service.
  • To develop our future boarding screening process and updated health protocols, we are collaborating with government health authorities, the Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), and our own team of medical experts. These are not yet finalized, but when they are, we will be sure to advise accordingly.
  • We know that our 70+ guests and those with chronic conditions are especially eager to understand what cruising will look like in the future. While subject to change, via the Cruise Line International Association (CLIA), we have confirmed that the previous restriction requiring a doctor’s note was lifted in early April after cruise lines suspended service.
  • Please know that every decision we make, and all of the fine-tuning we do, has your/your client’s well-being in mind. We miss you and your clients – and can’t wait to welcome you back onboard.

That was never going to fly...the real question is what will be required before sailing starts up again....My bet is nothing goes until there is a vaccine available and you can prove that you have had it. But who knows?

So my take , not to offend anyone please forgive. Wife and I are in our early 70's and healthy with No sickness's as of yet ( perhaps too healthy for our age ).

So now I get my doctors note , no past history , no shown symptoms , no temperature ( maybe have my everyday cough ) and show up at the pier with 2000 other cruisers. Now lets say , they take Everyone's temperature. All- Good to go.

Someone during the cruise becomes really ill ( which has happened ) ( contagious - who knows )..

In all honesty , did I really need my doctors note then ?   My age might be considered high risk , but that would hold true for everything...

And not to add, my parents in their late 80's were still cruising, with my dad needing a wheelchair

Edited by magicmawk
  • Like 2

These forms are more for liability reduction. If you were to mislead the cruise line on the form, and then get sick from a shipboard source, you can bet they would use that form to block any legal action.

4/29,21

Spoke to my very knowledgeable NCL rep and she said there were several ideas being floated right now and one is the need for a physicians letter for passengers over 70. But no decision has been made as of yet.

76 past cruises

Upcoming:

CCL Dream 8/22/2020. Western Caribbean

NCL Breakaway 1/10/2021 Western Caribbean

CCL Dream 5/16/2021 Western Caribbean

NCL Star 6/27/2021 - Scotland, Norway & Iceland

On 4/20/2020 at 12:59 PM, ranchette said:

Is NCL requiring a doctors note to get onboard?

We don't know for sure, but it's a moot point because the first thing required is for cruising to open up again whenever that may be. When NCL, and the other cruiselines, begin to prepare for that we shall find out the new requirements for boarding a cruise ship.

On 4/23/2020 at 10:43 PM, Sand and Seas said:

.....my over 70 DH is in much better health than many under that age.....

We have heard similar repeatedly, in recent weeks, from family and friends. Whilst that may be true, in terms of general and outward health, it is a medical fact that the immune system begins to deteriorate with age....no matter underlying health condition.....and that is the huge issue for those who contract covid-19 in the over 70 age range.

Perhaps, IMHO (studying the success of other countries in managing their surge/outbreak) daily wellness check when traveling, whether it is at the port upon check-in/security screening for embarkation - as it will likely be done/enforced by other countries (outside USA) for port stops, before being allowed to go ashore, and, prior to disembarkation.  Out of an abundance of precaution, this will minimize the odds of someone infected in unknowingly traveling to additional stops/ports and spreading the virus while remaining asymptomatic. 

This is not going to be a popular protocol to suggest, consider and implement - until such time effective treatment is widely available and/or antibody testing is widely available.  It will take extra time, resources & personnel to carry out the screening - longer wait to get onboard and when coming off the ship.  If true, nobody is going like it nor popular - for maintaining this state of continuous readiness, until the medical and scientific community learn, know and come up with better & different strategies.  JMHO. 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, onetimearoundtheworld said:

IMHO huge mistake. 

If Covid doesn't end up bankrupting the cruiselines by itself....making it difficult or impossible for people 70 or over to cruise will definitely finish them off...and they all know that. Depending on what comes up medically in the way of vaccines etc in the near future will be the only way forward for them. It won't matter if you're a child, young adult, middle aged adult, or over 70...no proof of vaccine...no cruise for you. And that's the only fair or correct way to do it.

• Like 1