Island Princess Internet

weedpindle

Thanks

30 minutes ago, atchisog said:

We were on the Island last Oct thru the canal, internet was great. It has the medallion net on board.

We have reserved the 24 day Oct 2021 trip from London to Rome, its a wonderful itinerary

Thanks.

Edited by weedpindle
  • Thanks 1

I was on the ship for the 58 night cruise just before everything went down the toilet in March.   I  was far from impressed with the internet connection and speed.  Many times I would as soon as I signed on to the web site I wanted I would loose connection.  I was doing a 'live from' posting and a few times just as I would try to post the connection would go.

I talked to a couple other people and they did not have as much of an issue.  We were on deck 5.  Sometimes location on ship can impact response.

There seems to be two conflicting viewpoints here on the speed.  I cannot say for 100% certain that ISLAND has Medallion Net already.  I do know that it was due to have it by/before end of 2020 because ISLAND is set to be the World Cruise ship from North America in Jan 2021 and as such was being upgraded to OCEAN Medallion in time for that.  I suspect the Medallion Net is already implemented and believe I have read that previously.

We have done the South America round trip (60 nights) in 2018 and the ship had the old internet then.  Whether old or new internet, when @Waynetor mentions having issues, the Medallion Net does not perform as well in extreme latitudes due to satellite connection availability, so that could explain some of it.  Otherwise, should be a big improvement over the old one.

We were on the first leg of the cruise @Waynetor was on in an aft-facing vista suite on the Caribe deck and for us we had no issues except when we were in a 4 day stretch between Easter Island and SA where we totally lost connection for about a day. But other than that, sometimes the bandwidth might be slow depending where we were, but we never lost our connection to the network. Overall, we were quite pleased with the service.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

I would think any ship that has medallion net; and sails at certain lattiude would have lost the internet signal; or perhaps had slow internet due to satellite connection

We were on the last itinerary before everything closed, the one after Wayntor. I was not impressed at all. Although I never lost my connection it was often times very slow. I only had 250 mins as a platinum perk. Often I would give up as not to use up my precious minutes. The “best wifi at sea” was not very good in my opinion

Cruiserkenn;  Princess says there are certain parts of the world where the ships wifi gets spotty with satellite connections.  One is in Northern Europe; like Norway, Sweden, etc.  Most of the Med should be fine.