Itinerary search engine

caribsun

19 hours ago, drsel said:

1. For some of the big online travel agents, commission varies from 10% to 16% in mass market cruise lines.

2. Due to their volume, they get the biggest commissions. Sometimes lower fares as well for a group booking.

3. Last minute cheap fares are provided by the cruise line to fill the last few cabins. Online travel agents merely pass it on to you.

4. They can save the client 8-14% if the fare is the same. Much more in group bookings, where the fare itself is substantially reduced by the cruise line for a large group.

5. You get the biggest or best saving first time also.

6. The deal is sometimes a few dollars less than big box. Sometimes its the same.

7. When the cruise line itself gives you an excellent deal, then the agents discount is zero or negligible.

One good deal right now--

Carnival Splendor Mar 25, 2021 starts at $218 + 96 taxes for 8 nights @$39 per night.

Really excellent value! 

Good information.  Thank you.

Re: #3, the ever interesting late booking: are the on-line agents the best way to search for these, or something else.  I sometimes look at those 90 day deals, but really haven't ever seen much that got my heart pumping.  I've also searched them out on that cruise fare site with the graphs of all the history for each fare that we can't mention.  Same result. What am I doing wrong? Should I sign up for more e-mails to stuff my inbox? Are these deals all they're cracked up to be?

Edited by jan-n-john

22 hours ago, jan-n-john said:

Good information.  Thank you.

Re: #3, the ever interesting late booking: are the on-line agents the best way to search for these, or something else.  I sometimes look at those 90 day deals, but really haven't ever seen much that got my heart pumping.  I've also searched them out on that cruise fare site with the graphs of all the history for each fare that we can't mention.  Same result. What am I doing wrong? Should I sign up for more e-mails to stuff my inbox? Are these deals all they're cracked up to be?

Just arrange the prices by cheapest per day and you will find a lot of bargains under $50 per day.

Carnival cruises from US ports are currently the cheapest, even cheaper than the transatlantic cruises.

Europe and the middle East are now around 60 to 64 dollars per day.

Asia is 84 to 90 dollars per day, except for the trans Pacific cruises between Japan and Canada, which are much cheaper.

All prices are starting prices for an inside cabin including all taxes and port fees, excluding gratuities and service charges.

Kindly pardon the use of the word cheap.

Edited by drsel

20 minutes ago, drsel said:

Just arrange the prices by cheapest per day and you will find a lot of bargains under $50 per day.

Carnival cruises from US ports are currently the cheapest, even cheaper than the transatlantic cruises.

Europe and the middle East are now around 60 to 64 dollars per day.

Asia is 84 to 90 dollars per day, except for the trans Pacific cruises between Japan and Canada, which are much cheaper.

All prices are starting prices for an inside cabin including all taxes and port fees, excluding gratuities and service charges.

Kindly pardon the use of the word cheap.

Yeah I've done that.  But I guess I wasn't clear, or just assumed things. Sorry.  Specifically, not to sound snooty, but Carnival isn't our cup of tea.  Nor are inside cabins. For us "cheap" is relative.  We're always looking for 5.5  or 6 star ships, and balconies. Celebrity is kind of our low end entry point (and not even the Millenium class but these days at least Solstice if not Edge), going up from there (Oceania, Azamara, then Regent, Crystal. etc.) .  So I suppose what I really mean is how, if at all, does one get great, or even decent, last minute deals at that level? Deal defined as meaningfully cheaper than the same cabin was six month or so ago. So far I've never found much.

Those rich cruisers who are looking to book premium lines like Regent, Oceania, Azamara crystal et cetera are not going to be given much discount.

There are no cheap deals on premium lines.

it's the Robinhood principle of life.

Cruise lines will obviously try to extract as much as they can from those who can afford it.

It's a business after all!

Edited by drsel

2 hours ago, drsel said:

Those rich cruisers who are looking to book premium lines like Regent, Oceania, Azamara crystal et cetera are not going to be given much discount.

There are no cheap deals on premium lines.

it's the Robinhood principle of life.

Cruise lines will obviously try to extract as much as they can from those who can afford it.

It's a business after all!

Hah!  Maybe so.  Although I never saw cruise lines as enforcers of the "take from the rich and give to the poor" principle -- the first part certainly, but the second, not so much.

One would think the premium lines have the same business incentive to monetize unsold cabins as the mass market lines, so one wonders why you don't see much of it, unless protecting the image is a really strong part of the business model, which I suppose for them it is.

BTW we're hardly "rich", although I readily admit that is a concept that depends a lot on one's economic vantage point. Let's just say that I would judge us as being in the lowest economic decile when we've been on the Crystals of the world.  For us that's a splurge and we can only do it occasionally, which I suppose is why I'd like to find a cheaper way to go about it.  A more typical cruiser in that group is the sort that can be found over on the "Luxury Cruises" board here in CC. Very snooty, and more concerned with the brand of champagne served or the obsequiousness of the butlers than anything else. They engage in lots of passive-aggressive "my taste is superior to your taste" discussions, like what is the most spectacular special meal they've managed to order in the MDR or which suite is best. Some of them agree that to achieve the highest place in the cruise pantheon you have to give up on "downscale" lines like Regent and sail on Europa 2, because Berlitz says so. It gets hilarious sometimes.

I see from your handle you have an affinity for Celebrity, which happens to be the line we've used most by far.  Have you spotted them doing the last minute price cut much? 

Edited by jan-n-john

Yes, Celebrity is my favourite!  Its excellent value for money, compared to the competition in the 5* category.

Never tried the super expensive luxury lines. How are they compared to Celebrity?

Why would you prefer them over Celebrity?

Edited by drsel

I agree with you about celebrity being good value, although I can't say it's because I have experience on mass market lines (Jan does since she's the TA, although it's been many years), but given their ratings that I see and their comparative pricing it looks good to me. 

I view Celebrity as plain premium (5.3*), and Oceania, Azamara, and probably Viking as "upper premium," (say 5.5 to 5.7*) give or take)i.e. a cut above Celebrity.  It will be interesting to see where Virgin ends up fitting in to that scale if at all. Then come the four 6* luxury lines.

As to the reasons for preferring the upper premium and luxury lines, of course  it's mostly subjective.  It's like trying to measure objectively  why Peter Lugar is better than Ruth's Chris or Outback, or Four Seasons than Marriott, or Volvo than Ford.  The only quantifiable thing is room -- the more expensive ships are definitely less crowded, and the cabins are definitely larger (on same-age ships); on Regent they even have walk in closets, and separate bathtubs and showers. The food is better at all types of restaurants, and on the lux lines they will make things to request if you give them a heads up; they have separate kitchens just for special requests and such. Booze is higher level and less charge.  Cabin service is more posh. It's just generally a higher level of service at all times. Of course the ships are smaller if that appeals.  Enrichment lecturers are generally more plentiful and more interesting. Entertainment is not as "showy" and elaborate of course, given the smaller size.  

Is it worth it?  The question always asked but can't ever really be answered.  All anyone can do is try it and see if he likes it.

For me, entertainment is a very important factor.

If it is not showy or elaborate as you confirm, then I would not be interested.

I read that Holland America has hardly any shows or entertainment. Is this true?

Which lines have the best shows activities and entertainment in your opinion

Edited by drsel

Well, I'm not a big show person, and I've not sailed on HA ever, so can't be much help there (anyway based on my impression from research it's a step down from X).  I'd say the shows on the higher level lines are good, but since the theaters are smaller and the staffing level for show types can't be as large as on the big ships (due to available crew space which is always a constraint) they can't be as big and spectacular as on larger ships.  It just goes with the territory. On the other hand there is a greater feeling of intimacy I suppose.  Suggest that might be a question to pose elsewhere on CC and see what reaction you get. I'm sure there are many who post on Celebrity board who could compare.

Edited by jan-n-john
  • Like 1

During these trying times, this is among one of my favorite threads.  I've learned a lot!  

Regarding entertainment, I've never been on HAL but find Celebrity's to be pretty good.  They have some enjoyable lounge type entertainers.  However, for overall entertainment venues, I would put RCI ahead of Celebrity.  Not much help I'm afraid.   

• Like 1