MSC UK: Anyone got a refund

Vlad 1 of 4

I was booked on cruise direct with MSC UK which should have departed from Genoa 25th April. At the end of February the cruise was cancelled  because of the situation in Italy with COVID 19. The refund promised was the full cost paid less £100 deposit. I am still waiting for my refund. Its over  2 months despite promises that it would take 3-5 working days. I have phoned numerous times and sent numerous emails but still no refund. I've asked 3 times for their complaints policy with this being ignored in their email replies. 

Has anyone else experienced similar problems with refunds? How long did it take for you to get a refund?

The lack of a refund from them has made me reconsider ever cruising with MSC again. I will be travelling with another Company in future. 

Just received an acknowledgement email from MSC regarding a refund request for my cruise which should have taken place on 31st March and was cancelled by MSC. I submitted the request on 23rd April, which is the day they posted the email address on their website. The email says it can take up to 120 days (which is what it said on the website). I won't be holding my breath for it to happen any time before 120 days but at least I have something in writing.

Edited by Bobal

55 minutes ago, Bobal said:

Just received an acknowledgement email from MSC regarding a refund request for my cruise which should have taken place on 31st March and was cancelled by MSC. I submitted the request on 23rd April, which is the day they posted the email address on their website. The email says it can take up to 120 days (which is what it said on the website). I won't be holding my breath for it to happen any time before 120 days but at least I have something in writing.

I have their terms and conditions in writing plus an email stating the refund had been sent, that was February, still no refund. This is no different from P&O who we have a cancelled cruise with. They are all playing the same games. It doesn't take a genius to know things are going to take a lot of sorting out but when you are lied to and cruise lines are constantly changing their so called new terms and conditions they are not covering themselves in glory. Saying that I can't wait to start cruising again once it is safe to do so.

6 hours ago, yorkshirephil said:

I have their terms and conditions in writing plus an email stating the refund had been sent, that was February, still no refund. This is no different from P&O who we have a cancelled cruise with. They are all playing the same games. It doesn't take a genius to know things are going to take a lot of sorting out but when you are lied to and cruise lines are constantly changing their so called new terms and conditions they are not covering themselves in glory. Saying that I can't wait to start cruising again once it is safe to do so.

I'll be on the phone again tomorrow...... getting a bit fed up as I've been promised, refund, phone calls and emails from Managers but nothing materialised. I'll let you know if I get anywhere!

• Like 1

Please listen to LBC Nick Ferraris show today. (you can listen on catch up with the App) Simon Calder was giving advice on refunds. In the current climate 2 months is an acceptable time for refunds, 3 months is unacceptable and 120 days which is what MSC are telling me is in breach of the ABTA code of conduct. I will be complaining to them next. 

10 hours ago, Vlad 1 of 4 said:

Please listen to LBC Nick Ferraris show today. (you can listen on catch up with the App) Simon Calder was giving advice on refunds. In the current climate 2 months is an acceptable time for refunds, 3 months is unacceptable and 120 days which is what MSC are telling me is in breach of the ABTA code of conduct. I will be complaining to them next. 

Good luck with that, the travel companies are not too bothered what ABTA say, any court cases will unlikely be heard before 2021 so may as well sit tight !

On 4/30/2020 at 8:32 PM, cruiser man 60 said:

Good luck with that, the travel companies are not too bothered what ABTA say, any court cases will unlikely be heard before 2021 so may as well sit tight !

Thanks for that.... Constructive! I'll let you know what ABTA say when I complain. 

5 hours ago, Vlad 1 of 4 said:

Thanks for that.... Constructive! I'll let you know what ABTA say when I complain. 

Please do! Ryanair have announced they will take 6 months for refunds and basically said take any action you want as it won't change anything, everyone has millions of refunds to do and limited staff to do it. ABTA will do nothing only acknowledge your complaint.

On the news yesterday that the government have no intention of changing the law to allow holiday companies to give credit notes instead of refunds, and the regulator has said that they will be taking action against companies that refuse to issue refunds within the 14 day notice. Mind, who the regulator is I haven't a clue.

Finally after 2 months of chasing MSC I finally received my email for a refund request.We first sent email early March.We were meant to be causing March 12th Grandisoa.The email says refunds will take 120 from the email date request.We had to send another email last Monday and that's what they are counting the 120 from not the one we sent in March.

20200504_123405.jpg

3 hours ago, Shocked91 said:

Finally after 2 months of chasing MSC I finally received my email for a refund request.We first sent email early March.We were meant to be causing March 12th Grandisoa.The email says refunds will take 120 from the email date request.We had to send another email last Monday and that's what they are counting the 120 from not the one we sent in March.

20200504_123405.jpg

Thanks for posting your update, and good luck! Did you book directly with MSC UK or via a travel agent?

22 minutes ago, alpha whiskey said:

Thanks for posting your update, and good luck! Did you book directly with MSC UK or via a travel agent?

Just to say we received the same email as Shocked91. We booked via a Travel Agent and when the cruise was cancelled (in mid March) we asked the TA to request a refund. We heard nothing else and when we chased it found out the agent we deal with had been furloughed. When MSC posted their update on 23 April with the operations email address I contacted the agency again and they told me I should apply direct to MSC, which I did using the email address on their website and got the identical response to Shocked91 4 days later.

I have no trust in MSC though and just hope that somewhere down the line (120 days?) they don't send another email saying we can't deal with you as you should have applied through your TA. One thing is for sure, we won't be getting the money back for a long time and I won't be booking with MSC in a hurry.

13 minutes ago, Bobal said:

Just to say we received the same email as Shocked91. We booked via a Travel Agent and when the cruise was cancelled (in mid March) we asked the TA to request a refund. We heard nothing else and when we chased it found out the agent we deal with had been furloughed. When MSC posted their update on 23 April with the operations email address I contacted the agency again and they told me I should apply direct to MSC, which I did using the email address on their website and got the identical response to Shocked91 4 days later.

I have no trust in MSC though and just hope that somewhere down the line (120 days?) they don't send another email saying we can't deal with you as you should have applied through your TA. One thing is for sure, we won't be getting the money back for a long time and I won't be booking with MSC in a hurry.

Really helpful information, thanks. I am being met with a wall of silence from TA. Unable to contact them by phone and not replying to my emails. Will definitely try your approach. We should have been on the cruise now, and it would have been our first time with MSC. I am not having a lot of luck with a refund owing by P&O either. 🙄

We phoned MSC again today to ask how they are prioritising refunds as I would have thought we were one of the first.The lady on the phone couldn't answer the question so she gave us another email address which we have sent an email to.What we can't understand is why they are saying its 120 days from now not March when we first emailed them.We had originally booked through Thomas Cook but MSC took the booking over and we had to pay them direct.

Edited by Shocked91

Still no further word from MSC since the original 'thanks for your request' email back on the 17th March.  We were also Grandiosa 12th March.  Even a generic email saying we are working on it would make such a difference to total silence!

10 hours ago, lovetoholiday said:

Still no further word from MSC since the original 'thanks for your request' email back on the 17th March.  We were also Grandiosa 12th March.  Even a generic email saying we are working on it would make such a difference to total silence!

Hi.We had an email from an actual person this week.They have acknowledged that we want a refund and will be 120 from that email.We started emailing them March 13th and even though they replied back they are now saying that the refund date will take place from last week's email not the ones from March.

Booked and paid for my cruise via TA in January. Supposed to be sailing tomorrow from Southampton on Preziosa :classic_sad:. After reading these boards decided to wait for MSC to cancel our cruise-which they did in April. Eventually got through to the TA and have been told that we can apply for our money back in July and then it will take a further 8 weeks for us to receive it !!!!. Also booked £400.00 excursions-so presuming I get that back with my fare. Why so flaming long ,it's ridiculous.

• 2 weeks later...

I decided I would try emailing them again as it's almost a month since they replied to my last email saying the FCC's would be sent out imminently!  For the first time I received an instant confirmation of receipt of the email - see below.  Looks like my imminently has just moved to 120 days from now!!!    

Thank you for contacting MSC Cruises Operations team.

Should your email be concerning a request for a refund of your cancelled booking, please accept this as acknowledgement of your request and no further action is required from yourself at this point.  All refunds will be processed within and up to 120 days of the date of this request. Please note no reply will be sent by us at this stage.

If your email is regarding redeeming your Refund Credit Note, please revert to the link given on the voucher where you can confidently request your move.  Please make sure you have included all information required to avoid further delays and include the ship and sail date.

Should your booking be with a travel agent, they will receive the credit note on your behalf and will discuss all your options with you.

Should you have a booking directly with MSC Cruises, the voucher will be sent to yourselves via the contact details you provided us at the time of booking.

Due to the high volume of requests we are working as quickly as possible to answer your queries if the above is not applicable to you, however due to the circumstances delays in response are possible.  

We appreciate your patience during these unprecedented times and we ask that you do not resubmit your request which may cause further delays in our response times,

Thank you again,

1 hour ago, lovetoholiday said:

Should your booking be with a travel agent, they will receive the credit note on your behalf and will discuss all your options with you.

4 weeks to the day when we should have sailed on Preziosa and not a word from Cr 1st ! Beginning to wonder if they are still in business as they are not answering phone lines nor emails.