Who says the papers never get things right.

daiB

Can you imagine any other job that this would get past checks and signed off without someone getting in serious trouble... 

Total incompetence... 

Or, perhaps as cruising won't be an option for a while, they will utilise Iona for the booze cruises to Calais on some sort of lease basis... 😊

Andy 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Well if you must read papers like the Mail, what can you expect?

i get sick to death of all the 'Anti Cruise Brigade' who comment on the Daily Mail.  The paper puts up any story about a cruise ship and they come out in force.  The majority of them have never set foot on a cruise ship but just enjoy putting the industry down - hope they stick to their boring land holidays and never set foot on any cruise I am on!

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, alsa said:

i get sick to death of all the 'Anti Cruise Brigade' who comment on the Daily Mail.  The paper puts up any story about a cruise ship and they come out in force.  The majority of them have never set foot on a cruise ship but just enjoy putting the industry down - hope they stick to their boring land holidays and never set foot on any cruise I am on!

Confused as to who the "anti cruise brigade" are.  They can't be on this forum as this is a cruise forum.  Personally I do find the Mail has great cruise adverts.  Don't like their politics or their previous support of Nazi Germany.  Such a complex world sometimes.

If I want to read a comic I'll by The Beano.  I don't believe they have ever had to pay huge amounts for making stories up.

Huffington Post also decided to use photos of P&O cruise ships.  Must be so hard getting a photo of a P&O ferry.

Edited by Thejuggler

7 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Well if you must read papers like the Mail, what can you expect?

2 hours ago, alsa said:

I think you'll find it's not remotely to do with any 'Anti Cruise Brigade', as you put it.  Most, if not all, people here are regular cruisers.  Much more to do with a deep dislike of the Daily Mail for its inaccurate reporting (this is a prime example!), its Nazi-supporting past, and the hatred it likes to engender in its readers to sell its papers.  Also the constant claiming of credit for campaigns it says it's been running, when in reality the real work was done by others who claim no credit at all.

• Like 1

Forgive my ignorance, but how long ago did the Daily Mail support the Nazis, as this has been raised a few times? I know that Liverpudlians still hold a grudge against The Sun for commentary from around 30 years ago, but if that support goes back to the 1930’s then is it still relevant to hold that against them 90 years later? The only thing consistent with then would be the name of the paper. Doubt that any of the staff are still there!

39 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Forgive my ignorance, but how long ago did the Daily Mail support the Nazis, as this has been raised a few times? I know that Liverpudlians still hold a grudge against The Sun for commentary from around 30 years ago, but if that support goes back to the 1930’s then is it still relevant to hold that against them 90 years later? The only thing consistent with then would be the name of the paper. Doubt that any of the staff are still there!

Of course.  What else are grudges for?  They don't have to be rational.  Pretty certain some of the staff are still there.

4 hours ago, Dinglebert said:

Confused as to who the "anti cruise brigade" are.  They can't be on this forum as this is a cruise forum.  Personally I do find the Mail has great cruise adverts.  Don't like their politics or their previous support of Nazi Germany.  Such a complex world sometimes.

No I meant the people who comment on the actual Daily Mail Website - not from here.  There are loads of people who dont like cruising and make constant bad comments about it.

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

I think you'll find it's not remotely to do with any 'Anti Cruise Brigade', as you put it.  Most, if not all, people here are regular cruisers.  Much more to do with a deep dislike of the Daily Mail for its inaccurate reporting (this is a prime example!), its Nazi-supporting past, and the hatred it likes to engender in its readers to sell its papers.  Also the constant claiming of credit for campaigns it says it's been running, when in reality the real work was done by others who claim no credit at all.

No i was referring to people who comment on the Daily Mail Website who are not cruisers.  They just like to think they know what a cruise ship is like and put nasty comments on.  I was not referring to people on here - people on here are on here because they love cruising!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

2 hours ago, Selbourne said:

I found the comment regarding the Mail's Nazi-supporting past somewhat bizarre as well.  Maybe someone could enlighten me?

I drive a BMW.  I own a Hugo Boss suit.  Does that make me a Nazi supporter? It's a matter of public record that both those companies, in addition to many other companies trading today took an active part in supporting that vile regime.

There are millions of anti-cruisers out there, who object  to many aspects  of  cruising.  Pollution  (illegal oil discharges, exhaust emissions) , staff conditions, tax avoidance, adverse impact on small ports etc. 

And, to be fair, there is substance in all of these accusations - it would be naive to pretend otherwise. 

But to suggest that the DM alone is anti-cruising us ludicrous. 

Just now, Son of Anarchy said:

I found the comment regarding the Mail's Nazi-supporting past somewhat bizarre as well.  Maybe someone could enlighten me?

I drive a BMW.  I own a Hugo Boss suit.  Does that make me a Nazi supporter? It's a matter of public record that both those companies, in addition to many other companies trading today took an active part in supporting that vile regime.

It could be worse - at least you don't drive a Mitsubishi. 

6 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Oh dear. I’ve had loads of BMW’s over the years. I’m now worried that I might be hauled up in front of a war crimes tribunal.