HAL reneged on agreement

During the first week of March when HAL first announced that they had liberalized their cancellation policies due to the Covid -19 virus I contacted my cruise broker agent to discuss my options. The HAL agent informed my agent that if I cancelled my cruise scheduled for April 4 on the Maasdam, my FCCs would be $644.36 and would include $438.00 that I had paid for the Platinum Protection Plan.  This was in addition to a cash payment for 90% of the cancellation penalty. Therefore, I went ahead and cancelled the cruise. This agreement was later documented in an email from my agent. Yesterday I received a memo from HAL which informed me of FCCs of only $226.00. When I notified my agent of the discrepancy she contacted HAL. They confirmed the earlier statement to her that I would be reimbursed for the PPP but said that she had been misinformed by their representative and that they would not reimburse for the PPP, despite their earlier agreement. Backing out on an agreement seems to me to be very poor customer relations when they should be doing everything they can to retain customers.

OP,

If you used a TA or FCC to make your original booking, they should be 'fighting it out with HAL' for you. 

THAt is seriously something for which they are paid their  commission.

Edited by sail7seas
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sail7seas said:

OP,

If you used a TA or FCC to make your original booking, they should be 'fighting it out with HAL' for you. 

THAt is seriously something for which they are paid their  commission.

Yes, for all the do it yourself people, when things go wrong, you actually want someone fighting for you.

• Like 1