Port Everglades Sailing Watch Parties Done For The Summer

rjbean4

My mom and I have been watching the videos from past cruises that we still have on VHS tapes as I have been working on capturing the video to convert to MPEG's and DVD's. Just finished another one from our 1991 Alaska cruise on the old Nieuw Amsterdam. Decided it was time to check on the ships off the west coast and those still in the Bahamas. When it comes to the remaining ships in the Bahamas there was another crew transfer and starting sometime earlier today they have all set out to get more crew home. According to the AIS for the ships on Marine Traffic,

Zaandam  - Rotterdam

Nieuw Statendam - Rotterdam

Zuiderdam - Cape Town

Rotterdam -  I think also Cape Town as her AIS says CPT

Not HAL but also in the area the Sky Princess is also headed to Rotterdam.

On the west coast there was another transfer involving the Westerdam, Noordam, Oosterdam, Koningsdam and the Seabourn Sojourn in All Saints Bay at Ensenada, Mexico. Maasdam wasn't involved in this one. The AIS for the Maasdam (PH MNL), Westerdam (Manilla Island) and the Noordam (Manilla)  indicate they are all headed to Manilla. Oosterdam appears to be heading to Puerto Vallarta (MX PVR) and Koningsdam is TBA as she now has non Asian crew on board. And speaking of we did see on the NBC national news at dinner tonight a story about the American crew still on board and HAL was a part of it. Sure hope they can figure something out. So with the ships that were still in the Bahamas now headed where they are there won't be any more sail aways  form Port Everglades till the fall. Hope all the ships and the crew on board now on the way home have a safe journey in doing so. I also like using https://www.cruisemapper.com/  as its just cruise ships and cruise lines are color coded with HAL being yellow.               

Thanks for this - good health and safe passage to all those onboard Holland America Line ships; I hope they are all able to be reunited with their families.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

• Like 1

At this point there are no HAL ships at the anchorages in the Bahamas as all the ships that had been there are now en route going somewhere to take crew home. There is now a very large group of Carnival ships that have met up in that area to do crew transfers as they start doing the same thing to get crew home. It includes the 2 ships (Carnival Legend & Paradise) that sail from here at Port Tampa Bay. Both had been hanging around either docked over at Sparkman Warf (formerly known as Channelside) or out at the anchorage in the gulf that is west of the Skyway bridge.

12 hours ago, rjbean4 said:

My mom and I have been watching the videos from past cruises that we still have on VHS tapes as I have been working on capturing the video to convert to MPEG's and DVD's. Just finished another one from our 1991 Alaska cruise on the old Nieuw Amsterdam

I commend you for keeping the VHS format alive. 👍 We still have a DVD player that we use once every other year, but watching tape is awesome.

Just think. There's an entire generation that'll never understand, "Be Kind. Rewind."

• Like 3

12 hours ago, POA1 said:

I commend you for keeping the VHS format alive. 👍 We still have a DVD player that we use once every other year, but watching tape is awesome.

Just think. There's an entire generation that'll never understand, "Be Kind. Rewind."

Thanks. I have a lot of video since we have done a lot of cruising.  I just really want to keep all of it but in a newer format. One time I was in Best Buy and found a VCR/DVD combo and came home with it. Since then have slowly picked away at all the cruise video and other video to get it off the tapes. Because of having so much it would be very expensive if we had it done. So using the VCR/DVD combo Along with Pinnacle Dazzle software I am able to capture the video off of the VHS tapes. At that point its a MPEG video file and can also make DVD's so more current than the dated and space consuming VHS tapes. With the cruise video I started with the video that is the oldest. Oh and I have  the negatives for the pictures from all of these cruises too and want to do the same thing and I have a scanner to use to scan the negatives to digitize them. No deadline to get it all done and just something to pick away at. When I want to take a break there are other things to do and that includes a number of Lego Star Wars Kits that I have had  and have yet to do. One is the Millennium Falcon which is over 1,000 pieces.

When it cones to the generation thing I volunteer at a Y that we live very close to with the Tennis program and yes I do get to play. The person that teaches the classes did play professionally for a short period of time and is a lot of fun to be with. We have also hit it off because we both have a very strong interest in aviation as my dad flew for NWA for 31 years. He did so much more than just fly he carried a management pass. At one time was the youngest commercial pilot in the country and one of the first certified to fly the DC-10 for NWA. Back to the generation thing is that I have told the older kids in the classes we do about when we were their age we didn't have all the technology that we have today like cell phones, computers, Wi Fi, Blurtooth, and all the social media like Facebook, Twitter, Skype, Face Time, Zoom, Etc. and it's like "Wow" to them.

See you are in Ft. Lauderdale. Hope you are OK since the virus has been more of a problem down in your area. For us, Pinellas County beaches will re open on Monday with strict guidelines and monitored by the Pinellas County Sheriff's Dept. so will see how it goes. I certainly hope I can get to my re scheduled Orthodontist appointment the end of May that was supposed to be the end of March. My mom also badly needs a haircut.

• Like 1

Not the same to be sure, but the Port web cams still supply views of ship movements with some VHF audio as well on some of them.  A cruise ship once in awhile sails in/out.  Port Everglades had a RCL ship sail this afternoon.  Port of Miami has a few docked.  Virgin Cruises had 2 tenders docked from Scarlet Lady early today.  I find watching the regular cargo/tanker traffic interesting and sometimes the VHF audio concerning some of the "Sunday Sailors", etc., is interesting as well.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 4:49 PM, St Pete Cruiser said:

I just commented on the post regarding NA and RT heading to Cape Town.  Sorry to see them leave, as I was hoping one would stay and do Caribbean itineraries and Canada/New England.

No HAL ship sails the Caribbean in the summer, and Zaandam (and Amsterdam, I think) is due to sail the Canada/New England itinerary this summer.  If I'm incorrect, please let us know, somebody.

HAL hasn't had a ship year round out of Florida for about 15 years now. Princess has the last few years, but most of the Caribbean summer runs are left to Carnival and Royal who sail full with much younger guests.

We did a Cuba itinerary in 2018 in August and I was surprised how pleasant it was at sea. Those deck chairs on the promenade were great in the afternoon with a breeze.

If this had been a normal year, it would be the end of the Seasoon.  The fleet would either in Europe, on its way to Europe, on its way Noth for the Astern Canada season or on its way to Alaska.  Today was the first day The Koningsdam and the Eurodam were to dock in Juneau.