Genie question?

I’m taking my In Laws and Mom on a Mediterranean cruise on Harmony next May. (Assuming all is well...etc.) I’m looking at a 2 bed aqua theater suite. 
I know my In Laws are going to be tired after our days at shore, and they might want food delivered in the room. Can you ask for specialty restaurant food to be delivered in room? I’ve only been Sky class, never Star, so I’m not sure what can be asked for. 

3 minutes ago, liberiben said:

I’m taking my In Laws and Mom on a Mediterranean cruise on Harmony next May. (Assuming all is well...etc.) I’m looking at a 2 bed aqua theater suite. 
I know my In Laws are going to be tired after our days at shore, and they might want food delivered in the room. Can you ask for specialty restaurant food to be delivered in room? I’ve only been Sky class, never Star, so I’m not sure what can be asked for. 

Yes

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, liberiben said:

You can, but don't have very high expectations. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

You can, but don't have very high expectations. 

On what exactly? I just know my FIL will most likely want to come back to the room and stay put some evenings. 

First off, there is not enough room for 3 people to enjoy a nice meal inside the cabin. Much less 5 or 6. Maybe on the deck, but that can be hit or miss depending on weather.

Secondly, the Genie will ask for your order the day before.  That puts you on a tight schedule.  In our case the meal arrived 45 minutes before we got back to cabin

Third, the food all arrives at the same time. Not a fan

Bottom line is it sounds better than it is

Edited by John&LaLa

For what it's worth, we have always had good experiences with in-suite specialty dining.  John does have a point about it all being delivered at once, but that's not an issue for us.  One thing to remember...and this goes for ANY in-room dining.  You must ask for EVERYthing that you want...salt, butter, jam, sugar, bread, ketchup, water, tea.  They will bring EXACTLY what you order and nothing more.

Some Genies are better than others when it comes to dining setup.  We have had everything from food only to table cloths, place settings, personal notes and lots of personal service.  You just won't know until you get there but don't be afraid to ask for what you want (and this goes for any Genie service, not just room service).  If you want the table set, be sure and let the Genie know that.

Bottom line...you will not get in-suite specialty dining any other time.  It would be a shame not to take advantage of it.  If it turns out to be a let-down, then you don't have to do it again.  We love it.

We never had a problem with ordering in.  On Oasis our genie gave us a special ordering number and one night we ordered early evening and got our HOT food about an hour later.  We also got the extras without asking, ie: salt, pepper, etc.  Always had a table cloth brought and everything set up.  Our A1 had a round table inside that would have been good for 5-6 people with room for any food.  You should have a great time with a genie to help you.

We've ordered food in through our Genie...was always pipping hot and fresh.  They came in, set the table with a table cloth and everything, laid out the food.

On our last sailing on Anthem....the Genie know our schedule in PR and actually about 5 minutes after we hit the stateroom from a shore excursion had the favorites the kids had been ordering from Johnny Rockets all week delivered without us even asking for it.  It was super nice.

• 2 months later...
On 5/5/2020 at 9:08 PM, liberiben said:

Thanks for the info. Most likely only the 2 of them would use it. My Mom and I would eat in the restaurant. Good to know though for an expectation standpoint. 

I think it sounds like a great plan.  I do travel for business more than I'm at home...except for this year, of course 😄 My guess is I'll probably have to start travelling again come this time next year.  I'm really looking forward to having to do nothing on our May cruise.  Quite frankly, dining on a cruise ship can become an extreme pain in the rump.  First of all, the restaurants serve average food, at best...Chops Grille is maybe like that of an Outback Steakhouse.  Not close to Ruth's Chris or Morton's where you'll get USDA Prime beef and nowhere near like experiencing a very nice restaurant in any of the cities you'll be visiting on your cruise.    In fact, the view from your Suite will be far superior to that of the restaurant, as you are guaranteed an ocean view. The cruising experience and atmosphere is all about the themeing.  The service IS outstanding, the food average, and crowds themselves can drain you.  More times than not, I'd rather serve myself and have a nice view versus sitting in a restaurant and being dependent of waiters, any day.  Furthermore, having to get dressed for dinner is the bane of my existence.  I'm on vacation, damn it. The real reason why I'm excited to have our Genie is to help eliminate the herding sensation that comes with cruising.  Waiting in line is not my idea of vacation...I'm hoping our Genie can take care of that.  I do think cruising is a great way to identify cities and regions that you'd like to return to and actually spend multiple nights exploring.  There's no way to immerse yourself in the culture of foreign lands, especially if you're only going to be there for less than 12 hours.  Quite frankly, these folks that do nothing but cruise haven't really even seen the world.   I also believe that cruising is a great way to unwind and rejuvenate yourself, if you let it.  For me, I look forward to doing nothing but letting the stress meld away.  I too will be staying in a 2 bedroom Aqua Theater Suite in May, maybe on the same cruise you are planning...I plan to be rubbing that Genie bottle as much as possible.  Right now, I just hope our Magic Genie can get us all back to cruising again.