Worst experience on a cruise ship

On 5/15/2020 at 11:08 AM, rattanchair said:

Cruise ship passengers do not take over-night bags that go in an over-head compartment or the seat in front of you on a ship. At least prior to 9/11 when we stopped flying. Though of late I have seen more and more hoi-polloi walking on and off ship with only the clothes on their backs. Now that's "funny"!

At my local airport, we have to take an escalator in order to get to an area to check our luggage.  So, people use it with all sizes of bags.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

At my local airport, we have to take an escalator in order to get to an area to check our luggage.  So, people use it with all sizes of bags.

Most airports use to have curb side check in of luggage (for a tip). Or a porter at curb side to assist passengers (for a tip) up to the ticket counter (as I recall pre 9/11). But I am not referring to airport escalators or air passengers. Being a cruise board we are talking about passengers leaving a cruise ship with huge carry-on luggage getting on the down escalator and then losing their grip on their huge bag which tumbles down the escalator, with increasing momentum due to the downward pull of gravity, their bag hitting passengers in front of them on the same escalator going down, knocking the passenger over on the escalator who is unable to get up off the escalator as the bumbling passenger falls on top of them followed by every other passenger behind on the down escalator creating a pile-up and screams for help. Terminal employees race over from whatever important job they were doing slamming the emergency stop button. Perhaps the emergency stop button needs a special terminal electrician to re-set the escalator? Whatever the reason, obviously the other terminal employees felt "it was not their job" to turn the escalator back on after the pile-up was sorted out. And we "Rubes" are simply not worth the extra effort if we can't manage our luggage on a 'down' escalator.

17 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

You're right. I'm  not an expert on airports, but I've needed to take an escalator to check baggage in more than one airport.

• Like 2

Here is what I came online to enlighten a 'few' of you. We took a cruise on a new ship, its 3rd or 4th sailing. Nice, but not finished. Not enough waiters, so the cruise line took deck hands that were painting, dressed them in waiter uniforms and  had them serve the passengers meals. They did not speak nor understand English. Our waiter had a great smile, but nothing else going for him. (Maybe the smile was because he was told he was in for tips in this new position). Anyway he brought over the foot long pepper grinder and proceeded to grind pepper on table mate's plate. Funny thing was the grinder was upside down and the waiter could not understand that nothing was coming out. Table mate complained that there was no water pressure in his cabin and that the plumber he had, spent all day trying to fix the problem. He discovered this plumber dancing in the disco that night with his daughter, but still no water.

Moral of the story, wait a few months before booking a new ship.

P.S. We had water and I don't like pepper.

Edited by rattanchair
P.S.
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, Sea Hag said:

You're right. I'm  not an expert on airports, but I've needed to take an escalator to check baggage in more than one airport.

Our home port is Minneapolis/St. Paul and it also has escalators. Not fun and can be a challenge.

• Like 1