New to Royal questions (drink package + Independence)

Good Morning everyone,

I have my first Royal cruise booked for September of this year on Independence of the Seas. A few weeks ago I saw the Deluxe Beverage Package was $45 a day. I stupidly didn't jump on it then and now it's $65 a day. If I book now and then the price drops, can I call and rebook with the new price or am I locked in? 

Also, does anyone have experience with The Key on Independence? Seems pretty interesting especially since I was planning to get Voom anyways. 

If anyone has any tips or tricks, drink recommendations, etc for Independence or what you wished you would have known for your first Royal cruise, I'd love to hear that as well. I feel like I'm really going to like Royal and have my eye on a few cruises next year too. 

Thanks!

1 minute ago, natefish95 said:

Good Morning everyone,

I have my first Royal cruise booked for September of this year on Independence of the Seas. A few weeks ago I saw the Deluxe Beverage Package was $45 a day. I stupidly didn't jump on it then and now it's $65 a day. If I book now and then the price drops, can I call and rebook with the new price or am I locked in? 

Also, does anyone have experience with The Key on Independence? Seems pretty interesting especially since I was planning to get Voom anyways. 

If anyone has any tips or tricks, drink recommendations, etc for Independence or what you wished you would have known for your first Royal cruise, I'd love to hear that as well. I feel like I'm really going to like Royal and have my eye on a few cruises next year too. 

Thanks!

If the drink package comes down you can cancel the one booked and rebook at the lower price up until I think 48 hours before sailing

Just now, Scoobydobe7 said:

If the drink package comes down you can cancel the one booked and rebook at the lower price up until I think 48 hours before sailing

Awesome, that's what I assumed, but wanted to double check with the experts on here. 

Indy is a great ship.  It has Grease as a production show which is amazing (might not right now, don't know until they start cruising again).  We have a bunch booked on Indy right now.  We always get the drink package, but not the KEY, not worth it to us since we get the bulk of the perks anyway.  

Some people love the KEY and some don't.  If you are getting the VOOM anyway, probably not a bad deal.

• Like 1

There are two threads here about the The Key -- one is basic discussion, another is reviews of people who actually used it on a ship.  That might help you decide.  General consensus seemed to be that it was only worth the cost if you were on a shorter cruise.  

Keep in mind that The Key has to be purchased for everyone in the room age six and above, and also that Voom is heavily discounted if you're getting a multi-person/device package.  (I usually get a 4-device package and split it with others, often paying ~$9-$11/day per person.) 

So if you're getting the Key for four people for a five day cruise at $25/person/day, that's $500.  If you got a 4-person Voom package at $44/day, that's only $220.  It would be up to you to decide if the possible benefits of The Key are worth the extra $280, or if that money would be better spent on excursions, souvenirs, drinks, gambling, or a deposit on another cruise.  (And for longer cruises, the difference just gets higher, with no increase in benefits.)

I went ahead and looked up a thread of reviews for you, since I had the time and the search engine here can be... uh... "special":  

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

There are two threads here about the The Key -- one is basic discussion, another is reviews of people who actually used it on a ship.  That might help you decide.  General consensus seemed to be that it was only worth the cost if you were on a shorter cruise.  

Keep in mind that The Key has to be purchased for everyone in the room age six and above, and also that Voom is heavily discounted if you're getting a multi-person/device package.  (I usually get a 4-device package and split it with others, often paying ~$9-$11/day per person.) 

So if you're getting the Key for four people for a five day cruise at $25/person/day, that's $500.  If you got a 4-person Voom package at $44/day, that's only $220.  It would be up to you to decide if the possible benefits of The Key are worth the extra $280, or if that money would be better spent on excursions, souvenirs, drinks, gambling, or a deposit on another cruise.  (And for longer cruises, the difference just gets higher, with no increase in benefits.)

I went ahead and looked up a thread of reviews for you, since I had the time and the search engine here can be... uh... "special":  

Really appreciate that, I had not seen that thread when I searched a few days ago. I'm traveling solo, so it's not super pricey for just one on a 5 day. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, natefish95 said:

Really appreciate that, I had not seen that thread when I searched a few days ago. I'm traveling solo, so it's not super pricey for just one on a 5 day. 

You're very welcome.  I hope it's helpful.

4 hours ago, natefish95 said:

Lol I am a sporadic cruiser so I miss a lot of things. Did you know you will get double loyalty pts, except if you book a solo cabin. I've brought a lot of friends with me so I only have a few solo cruisers, but 10 pts for a 5 day is awesome.

Idk the future but imo people are "loyal to royal" as they say because of the perks. Platinum you get to eat breakfast in a side dining room and at night in a special lounge drink wine or some champagne I never tried. I'm a white wine drinker so was happy with this. Diamond gets free mixed drinks but I was happy with wine. Rack up those double pts.

Ignore the pizza upstairs, get it fresh from the oven. I think your ship has it in the promenade. Km so fuzzy on which ship has what. Rcl rules seem ever changing.

If you didnt get obc when you booked pick up 100 shares of rcl stock and get that extra $50 obc toward tips, then then dont sting. $100 for 7 day cruises. You dont have to hold the shares, just long enough to get your obc, though kve had mine forever.

I personally love the shows. Oasis is almost worth doing just for the shows, so I did it twice. The diving show is great. Ice shows, I love any dancing and music show. Some like comedy some the piano bar. 

Enjoy

• Like 1