$100 Upgrade from Interior to Balcony Offer...

NavyCruiser

Quick update from my post over a week ago:

"Just went to Carnival & other booking sites to see availability of balcony cabins & price difference if we want to upgrade from our current interior cabin for our upcoming late Aug cruise.

It shows the difference of only $115 pp between interior & balcony.  Great price, so I called Carnival.  They said the price difference to upgrade is $350 pp ($700 for us 2 in 1 cabin). Since we booked using VIFP Past Passenger discount, they said that's the price difference.   Even asked if other discounts (Military, Senior, AAA, AARP, etc...) were any better, they said VIFP was the lowest.  That eats up more than twice the $300 OBC for our 5 day cruise, so didn't make sense for us. Prices are much higher than when we booked back in March, when we were notified that our May booking was cancelled, otherwise we would cancel & rebook if pricing was the same, to get the less upgrade pricing for balcony..." 

Today, I received an email from Carnival, Subject:  You qualify for a stateroom upgrade.

Great News, You qualify for an exclusive upgrade offer!  

This offer is only available on a limited number of staterooms.

Starting at $100

Savings of 74%

I figured, Great, $100 per person, much better than $350 pp last week, So I clicked on the "Upgrade Now" Icon, 

Went & picked out new mid-ship Balcony cabin on the 8th Deck.  There were about a half to a dozen avail cabins on each deck.

Paid $100 TOTAL (for both of us, meaning only $50 EACH).

Received confirmation email a few minutes later, stating same reservation #, now with new balcony cabin #, and it shows it as an 8D Balcony.  Itemized charges now shows reservation cost are $100 more than previous.

Fine print on bottom of email said:  Offer is valid for guests with a qualifying VIFP Club Member number

Awesome!  

Now hope this late Aug sailing won't be cancelled...

Grea

• Like 7

When I signed in today it said upgrade offer, either 190 or 290, ... from inside to ov.

I'm midshipman deck 6 close to everything I picked on purpose. All the ovs are low decks. For oct 7 day freedom.

I thought are you kidding. Anything less than a balcony dont bother... and I'm solo.

Well first ever upgrade offer, but I clicked it off. I used a TA so maybe that's why they didnt email me dkrect. 

37 minutes ago, NavyCruiser said:

Quick update 

Fine print on bottom of email said:  Offer is valid for guests with a qualifying VIFP Club Member number

Grea

Turns out everyone has a VIPF number, even if you never cruised yet, you get one to book.

Found out vipf offer means nothing special 

Congrats.  Maybe by Oct offers for me will improve.

Edited by firefly333
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Found out vipf offer means nothing special 

Before online bookings here in Australia moved to the US-based Carnival site,  Carnival's Australian website would have specials and offers on for cruises.  When you clicked into the booking, the site would ask you then for your VIFP number and adjust prices according to any discounts the VIFP would offer.  Quite often, once I did that, the website would then remove some of the specials such as room upgrades, deposit discounts, or even lower prices.  It's almost like their computer system recognised me from my VIFP number and said, "screw this guy, we'll charge him more!"

I received the same offer for a Panorama cruise in late July. I took the offer and lo and behold 2 days later they cancelled the cruise. Seems pretty obvious they knew that cruise would not happen and took advantage to get some more cash flow. It's REAL easy to offer fantastic upgrades when you know the ship will NOT sail!

19 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

Congratulations NavyCruiser.  Nice upgrade.

Thanks,

I look at this 2 ways:

1.  Carnival generating cash flow now, as they may have to cancel it later in Aug

2.  Like the airlines blocking out middle seats for social distancing purposes , Carnival trying to empty out all the interior cabins & moving passengers to ocean views & balcony cabins

We like #2 better...