Carnival's July cruises and the CDC No Sail Order

rabidstoat

Carnival has about 8 or 9 ships that they intend to sail in July 2020 from three different ports, I think. States are starting to open up. Down in Florida, Universal Studio is opening on June 5th and Disney probably next month as well. Whereas before I've been skeptical about announced dates for sailing, this time I am more inclined to believe they really are intending to sail and not just booking cruises for the money to keep afloat.

But what weight does the CDC 'No Sail' order have? It supposedly expires July 24th, so these cruises are planned before it ends. Does the CDC have the authority to shut down cruises if the state government says the port can operate? I could see US Customs having that amount of authority, but can the CDC really shut things down?

Or is Carnival banking on it being lifted as states open up more and more? 

Or maybe I missed it and it was already lifted or there are exceptions that Carnival is leveraging?

Here is a link to the CDC's page on cruises, which summarizes the No Sail order and links to the full documents: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html 

4 minutes ago, rabidstoat said:

Carnival has about 8 or 9 ships that they intend to sail in July 2020 from three different ports, I think. States are starting to open up. Down in Florida, Universal Studio is opening on June 5th and Disney probably next month as well. Whereas before I've been skeptical about announced dates for sailing, this time I am more inclined to believe they really are intending to sail and not just booking cruises for the money to keep afloat.

But what weight does the CDC 'No Sail' order have? It supposedly expires July 24th, so these cruises are planned before it ends. Does the CDC have the authority to shut down cruises if the state government says the port can operate? I could see US Customs having that amount of authority, but can the CDC really shut things down?

Or maybe I missed it and it was already lifted or there are exceptions that Carnival is leveraging?

Here is a link to the CDC's page on cruises, which summarizes the No Sail order and links to the full documents: https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/index.html 

Carnival doesn’t plan to sail until Aug. 1

10 minutes ago, rabidstoat said:

There are no cruises sailing in july.    Carnival will start sailing on August 1st with limited ships in limited ports to start.

10 minutes ago, datolim said:

No way Carnival can sail with CDC No Sail Order.

No Sail Order will be extended if there is no compliance by the cruiselines to all the conditions imposed by CDC

They will show them

4 hours ago, ninjacat123 said:

The three ports are Miami, Port Canaveral and Galveston and Carnival has a few ships at each scheduled for sailing in August 2020.  That should be after the CDC "No Sail".

D'oh. Yeah, I somehow got confused on months, it's August and not July. I blame it on the shelter-in-place, I've lost all track of time.

August 2020 should be good to go. I mean, hopefully the CDC won't be extending with amusement parks and stuff opening up!

• Like 2