ADVENTURE (Canada/New England) Sept 16-27,2019 REVIEW w/lots of photos

The driver instructed us to walk, and follow the Fundy Trail signs to our next stop Fuller Falls.

IMG_1982.JPG

So after a really quiet/peaceful 15min walk through the forest with no one else around, we arrived. Our guide was already there as he brought the mini-bus over.

IMG_1989.JPG

We made it down the trail to where the cable stairs are in order to get down to the platform. I was wondering where the falls were?

IMG_1991.JPG

IMG_1992.JPG

I am blessed to live in a beautiful part of the world in British Columbia, with several falls in many locations... I also just traveled to see  the 8th wonder of the world called Igauzu Falls (Brazil/Argentina)... 

Oh... this is the falls and a major viewpoint?

IMG_1994.JPG

Honestly I was disappointed. Especially with the rains I was hoping for something bigger/larger. My expectations were obviously way too high. We only stayed there for a couple of minutes, and climbed back up the cable stairs to the mini-bus

IMG_1998.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95

We headed all the way out to the Salmon River.

IMG_2003.JPG

There is an interpretive/info center there ....

IMG_2002.JPG

....with various (weak) displays and other information (ie. tidal info if you're walking the beach or the trails). Truthfully, not a whole lot here

IMG_2001.JPG

IMG_2005.JPG

Back into the van, we travel all the way back for a late lunch at St. Martins Beach at "The Caves" restaurant. We were told at any one time there are 10-12 buses lined up here with every tour imaginable stopping here at some point. Because we got here later in the day, it wasn't as busy with only a couple of large buses. Here's the view from the restaurant's open air seating area

IMG_2013.JPG

We were offered about an hour of free time here, enjoying a lobster roll and chowder for lunch, and then taking a quick walk over the beach towards the Caves for some photo ops.

IMG_2015.JPG

Getting on in the afternoon, having a delayed start to the morning and with a 3:30pm all aboard, it was time to get going as he called us back

IMG_2020.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95

Out tour ended with a final stop back at the viewpoint from where we started... where we are to be able to see the change in tides from the morning stop 6 hours ago. It was noticeable however  nothing major in my view... and the awesome industrial plant across the way was still there. Sigh, my memory of Saint John, very unfortunate.

IMG_2022.JPG

I was ready to get back to the ship, with the weather continuing to be brisk, rainy and foggy. Soon enough, we were pulling away 

IMG_2028.JPG

Barely any photos on this evening on the ship, again holding my promise to not be camera happy on board. I was happy to be on board this evening... DL drinks and company, a great Chops dinner again, and a great show again by the RC Singers & Dancers.

IMG_2032.JPG

IMG_2033.JPG

With the show over, we retired to rest up for our final early rise tomorrow morning in Boston.

Edited by Hoopster95

I'll keep my day in Boston short.... been there a couple of times myself, so I know the lay of the land. However, I never really truly walked up and down  the streets of historic Beacon Hill, so that was the plan for the morning.

Great sunrise and view from my balcony, under one of the approach vectors for Logan

IMG_2051.thumb.JPG.0b57914662e330f085a7c26f7e57c572.JPG

Getting closer

IMG_2055.thumb.JPG.4c7d3cce7d30a8cff9b0fef31b9e6cd7.JPG

IMG_2057.thumb.JPG.f3a75f099f26046b561e24a8b43c4113.JPG

IMG_2059.thumb.JPG.b20d2e4461bd72a22b54c0a88560d023.JPG

Super easy port to get in and out of. With an 8am arrival, there was hardly anyone getting off alongside us, so with an empty terminal outside, we picked up the first taxi in line as they were waiting for everyone else to get off the ship

IMG_2064.thumb.JPG.960ab0d2453dd1b64ae55fbf9892830c.JPG

I really loved our time in Beacon Hill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beacon_Hill,_Boston

Made for a great morning walk for a couple of hours, winding up and down the streets to view the historic buildings, read the placards of famous historical homes, and simply enjoy the sites. There was hardly anyone around us the entire morning pretty  much

IMG_2068.thumb.GIF.4d7fa52fbdce4bedec68232dd4ab558f.GIF

Famous Acorn Street

IMG_2083.thumb.JPG.518d301b885bdb117e8dfc383f64c4a7.JPG

IMG_2087.thumb.JPG.cf534e1958666da09ed903348b8c5424.JPG

Old school gas red street lights

IMG_2090.thumb.JPG.50815d6356b46cb9edd3dd73a766c4cc.JPG

In and around Louisburg Square

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisburg_Square

IMG_2097.thumb.JPG.8c7e7e24c983f5d74ff8fbfffed54312.JPG

IMG_2093.thumb.JPG.0255ec2dd4f13ec788c785c180651f4f.JPG

IMG_2101.thumb.JPG.7bbea584940518a8e5756aa5d1a299c9.JPG

IMG_2104.thumb.JPG.ea8b515c31bacd04db48b47350e9fb35.JPG

Another photo of Acorn Street from the bottom

IMG_2191.thumb.JPG.98ab5857821f146c9984e6cae577edf8.JPG

Onward through Beacon Hill neighborhood to Beacon Street, bordering The Commons.

More great architecture and history as we head up towards the State House

IMG_2111.thumb.JPG.2c17094346dad61a7cb46fcdc887e5f2.JPG

IMG_2112.thumb.JPG.221abdeeb35d1e5141d4064639cedc88.JPG

At the upper end of Beacon Street, you cannot miss the awesome Massachusetts State House, a beautiful structure

IMG_2130.thumb.JPG.e7aa776533b1345fe0fc597018c472c0.JPG

IMG_2134.thumb.JPG.a65e63b76b03f729c11528579f079010.JPG

We entered the General Hooker entrance as per the map above, and went inside to enjoy the museum quality displays and the interior of this superb historical building

IMG_2143.thumb.JPG.f499700f89ce850db9ce3d3658be04dc.JPG

IMG_2146.thumb.JPG.7e9195cf1b7ba6d1ea44616ad4cccf39.JPG

This was well worth the stop for a visit

IMG_2153.thumb.JPG.e00956a4ccc46f92f7afb486c9371a71.JPG

I didn't know about this original flag design... interesting

Read the caption... this is the original as donated by the Fowle Family

IMG_2162.thumb.JPG.c04910f0619dcb7bd34b29bb244740c7.JPG

Beautiful place

IMG_2165.thumb.JPG.a54627a61637a38be6c1db96b7ec38d2.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95

Getting hungry for some lunch, we headed back down Beacon Street to get bite to eat.  We crossed over to go see and walk through the Commons a little rather than staying on the street.

Boston Foundation Monument

IMG_2195.JPG

Soldiers and Sailors Monument

IMG_2203.JPG

We cut our way through the Commons down to the main corner of Charles & Beacon

IMG_2207.JPG

Where were we going? 

For tourist, especially first time, you just can't miss this

IMG_2209.JPG

Plenty of memorabilia inside...

IMG_2217.JPG

IMG_2223.JPG

... and the menu is extensive as well as a really fun read.

IMG_2212.JPG

As expected for a tourist trap, the food was just ok, but not bad either. You're there for the notoriety. And yes, I sure did bring home a Cheers mug as a souvenier.

IMG_2222.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95

Leaving Cheers, we crossed the street to get back into the Commons so we make our way back through the Commons towards the Freedom Trail

IMG_2227.JPG

IMG_2229.JPG

IMG_2230.JPG

IMG_2232.JPG

Out of the Commons, at the corner of Tremont & Park, we passed by Park Street Church on our way to short visit at the Granary Burying Grounds.... amazing

IMG_2243.JPG

IMG_2245.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95

We continued along the Freedom Trail observing the many sites along the way... no way to include them all here in a review, would take way to long

DSC09063.JPG

Boston City Hall

DSC09036.JPG

Note the name of the building "Five Cents Savings"

DSC09043.JPG

Irish Famine Memorial and across the street the Old South Meeting House

DSC09047.JPG

DSC09050.JPG

DSC09052.JPG

The Samuel Adams Monument... Fanueil Hall & Quincy Market were open from the back

DSC09068.JPG

I loved this placard... specifically note the picture of the Old State House circa 1801, and the width of the square with the buildings all around it

DSC09074.JPG

Now look at this today, the state house dwarfed by the One Boston Place skyscraper. This was the location of the Boston Massacre 1770

DSC09075.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95

Paul Revere House... we didn't bother going in as we were enjoying the walk and seeing all the history. Freedom Trail needs a good couple of days at least to really experience everything properly

DSC09085.JPG

DSC09086.JPG

Paul Revere Statue

DSC09091.JPG

the Old North Church

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_North_Church

DSC09096.JPG

The thinnest house in Boston... 10.4 feet at it's widest point!

DSC09098.JPG

Copp's Hill Burying Ground

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copp's_Hill_Burying_Ground

DSC09097.JPG

DSC09100.JPG

DSC09101.JPG

It was a really enjoyable back through the Freedom Trail to the main part of town. It was here we hailed a taxi and headed back to Adventure for the evening

DSC09107.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95

Back at the cruise port... ghost town. Maybe many did not get off the ship today?

IMG_2251.JPG

Back on the gangway for the final time on this cruise, tomorrow's final day is a sea day

IMG_2252.JPG

Look what I found waiting for me back in my cabin!

IMG_2259.JPG

Great view from the Viking Crown Lounge/DL prior to sailaway

IMG_2260.JPG

Final show of this cruise for us, back up to front row upper balcony again

IMG_2263.JPG

Drew Divine was a cruise director... pretty much one of the only times I ever saw or heard from him.

IMG_2264.JPG

We did the early show this evening, with a later dinner at Chops. Even though Giovanni's was a huge disappointment on this trip, We did not have any issue trying new things on the Chops menu, we very easily dined there on 6 of the 11 nights. I found a new favorite too, the Grilled Atlantic Salmon with mustard sauce was surprisingly very awesome!

As was this...the Seafood "Tower". This is the smaller "Grande" for $19. There is also the "Imperial" for $39

IMG_2272.JPG

Edited by Hoopster95

The final sea day was an experience....

Waking up was quite normal... sleep in a bit, get coffee, hit the gym.

beautiful day to enjoy

IMG_2284.JPG

And then all hell broke loose. 

IMG_2293.JPG

Shortly after starting to play pickleball, the GF partially ruptured her Achilles tendon.

IMG_2294.JPG

Of course the ship doctor didn't diagnose her with that.. they looked at her for 30 seconds and said "it's just a sprain. Here's some crutches on us. Enjoy the end of your cruise". She also hobbled around NYC for 2 1/2 days with the ruptured tendon... the doctor at home couldn't believe it.

Anyways, I put the camera away for the entire day and evening to tend to the issue and do my best to support her around the ship through the pain.

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 1

Sept 27, disembarkation day at Bayonne, NJ ... What a gorgeous morning to wake up to!

IMG_2305.JPG

I took a few photos top deck as I went up to get coffees.

IMG_2312.JPG

IMG_2315.JPG

I love these shots, with the reflection of Manhattan & the Verrazano Bridge on the VCL glass

IMG_2316.JPG

IMG_2317.JPG

Sunrise was gorgeous on this morning. We got prepared to heads off the ship. The night before we asked the DL, Rafael, for assistance. He was so awesome, he met us up at guest services and he himself wheel-chaired the GF down the luggage area, and also all the way past immigration, through the port lobby and out to the street where we had a driver waiting (Carmel Limo). He was awesome.

IMG_2328.JPG

I hadn't mentioned yet in this review, but it was here at guest services that I got once again bid farewell to one of my favorite cruise buddies on any cruise, Merion_mom. We got to have dinner a couple of time with the Queen of RCL... anyone lucky enough to hang out and sail with her knows she's super fun to be around. No pics of Merion-mom.... she hates them! Right Carol? 😉 Interestingly enough, because I know this, I never took any of you with us at all the entire cruise!!! I really should have... I thought I had, but I can't find any. Lucky you 😁

This cruise was great for many reasons... great itinerary and port times, great service (Rafael comes to mind immediately on several occasions), great company, and Adventure served as a great host and overnight "hotel" so to speak so that we can visit all of these new ports. 

I look back on it, and having sailed Adventure to the ABC's just before her drydock in 2016 as well as back in 2011 on a TA from San Juan to Malaga, I'm not so much a fan anymore of the "ship life" on Voyager Class anymore.I'm not a fan of the Sport's Court changes, not a fan of where Izumi is located, and I'm really not a fan of all the extra cabins installed to add to the crowding. Some of my best memories of my TA was in the old Jester's Nightclub, a two story nightclub located (where now Chops is and also more cabins). And the location of Chops is questionable as well... an enclosed space, no view of anything. Having recently sailed Quantum/Ovation as well as most of the Radiance Class ships, having the views in many of the public venues is awesome in comparison to Voyager Class.

Anyhow hope you enjoyed this short review during these crazy times we're in.

Stay safe everyone

Edited by Hoopster95

Thanks for sharing @Hoopster95. I really enjoyed following along and have now added that (or a similar) itinerary to my ever-growing bucket list.

It's interesting how onboard experiences differ; we sailed Adventure just a couple of months after you  (over Thanksgiving) and were disappointed with Chops but found Giovanni's to be excellent. 

Take care and stay safe. ☺ 

On 6/10/2020 at 10:27 PM, Hoopster95 said:

Look what I found waiting for me back in my cabin!

IMG_2259.JPG

Drew Divine was a cruise director... pretty much one of the only times I ever saw or heard from him.

IMG_2264.JPG

Got my Adventure block this past January. I was really happy that a cruise block finally landed on Adventure since we had quite a few sailings on the ship.

Drew Divine really grates on my nerves. 

Thanks for this thread. I really enjoyed it.