Is this refundable or do I have to pay them now for cancelling?

Ethanol95

I need to cancel my cruise in September which I can no longer make. Having a look at the cancellation schedule can someone please explain to me, does this mean my deposit is non-refundable from the start? Also if I cancel in the next few days, I have to fork out extra 25% of the total $2,507 cruise fare to pay for it?? Is this how it works? Seems like such a bad cancellation policy.

Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 1.45.32 AM.png

Yes, a portion of your deposit for most types of bookings is non-refundable from the time you book.  Your final payment date is July 12, so if you cancel before then, you will lose $50 per person.  Any deposit amount you have already paid over the $50 would be a Future Cruise Credit.  You do not have to pay more if you cancel before then.  The 25% would apply from after your final payment due date of July 12 until August 14.

I would want to know where this schedule came from.  This doesn't look like a Carnival cancellation schedule.  If you final payment date of 7/12, then there is no additional penalty from Carnival prior to then.  If you booked prior to March 10 (I think) of this year, then it should be 100% refundable.

Oops, I see now that you are in Australia.  Things are a little different there. Perhaps someone with AUS experience could help you here.

2 minutes ago, Schoifmom said:

If you booked prior to March 10 (I think) of this year, then it should be 100% refundable.

According to the letter they sent me for our September cruise, it is not refundable, but does go to a future cruise credit.

March 11, 2020

Dear Carnival Guest,

We continue to implement increased monitoring, screening and sanitation protocols to protect the health of our guests, crew and the residents of the destinations we serve. Our measures are designed to be flexible to adapt to changing conditions and recommended best practices. For your reference, you can read our Travel Health Advisory on Carnival.com.

Nevertheless, we know our guests have questions about their upcoming cruise and we have relaxed our cancellation policy to provide flexibility should you wish to reschedule your vacation, as well as incentives to proceed with your plans. The following applies only to guests who booked on or before March 10, 2020.

• Guests who choose to keep their booking, as currently scheduled, for departures June through September, 2020, will receive the following onboard credit (OBC) amount:
    • US$50, per cabin, for 2 – 5 day sailings
    • US$100, per cabin, for 6 day sailings and longer

If you choose to continue to sail with us, we will automatically apply your onboard credit to your Sail & Sign account. There is no need to call us. 

• You may also cancel up to 30 days prior to your scheduled departure date. Any cancellation charges will be held as a future cruise credit (FCC) to be redeemed on a cruise within one year of your original sailing*. 
    • If your reservation included Fly2Fun air, any monies paid for your air fare will be included in your FCC.  If you purchased independent air, please contact your airline carrier as they are being flexible with change fees.
    • Any pre-purchased Carnival shore excursions, specialty dining/spa or Fun Shop orders will be automatically canceled and refunds will be processed to your original form of payment by your bank within three weeks. 
    • We are experiencing higher call volume than usual and are currently focused on assisting guests sailing March and April, 2020.  We encourage you to contact your travel advisor, Carnival Personal Vacation Planner, or access “My Cruise Manager” on Carnival.com to cancel your reservation.  Any penalties will be held in your account as a FCC.  You may also get answers to Frequently Asked Questions here.

We appreciate your loyalty and look forward to welcoming you on board!

9 hours ago, Schoifmom said:

I would want to know where this schedule came from.  This doesn't look like a Carnival cancellation schedule.  If you final payment date of 7/12, then there is no additional penalty from Carnival prior to then.  If you booked prior to March 10 (I think) of this year, then it should be 100% refundable.

Oops, I see now that you are in Australia.  Things are a little different there. Perhaps someone with AUS experience could help you here.

Yea, I forgot to mention this was booked with CCL Australia. I'm wondering whether, holding off a while more would ultimately cost me more to wait for CCL to cancel more cruises out of Sydney in September and a higher chance of getting that refunded. Mine is the 25th September sailing. I might just give them a ring and inquire what my options are at this stage.

Edited by Ethanol95

If anyone is interested in CCL Australia, they are allowing cancellation with full refund (including deposit) up until 76 days before sail date. At least that's the policy that they used with me. I'll be getting my full deposit back, what a shame though. I was looking forward to trying my first Carnival cruise on Splendour 😞

4 hours ago, Ethanol95 said:

Yea, I forgot to mention this was booked with CCL Australia. I'm wondering whether, holding off a while more would ultimately cost me more to wait for CCL to cancel more cruises out of Sydney in September and a higher chance of getting that refunded. Mine is the 25th September sailing. I might just give them a ring and inquire what my options are at this stage.

I was actually going to ask if this was for Carnival Australia or Princess but you had clarified. That email format, including verbiage "Future Cruise Credits/Deposits" is definitely one used by Princess.

Very interesting that both are the same.