8 hours ago, peanut head said:

Do you think trip insurance will cover "pandemics" in the future?

Hi peanut head,

None of the trip cancellation companies I sell exclude pandemics nor epidemics. And, none of these have made any changes to their policy wording. There are other companies that already had pandemic / epidemic exclusions.

I will be surprised if many companies do exclude pandemics / epidemics in the future. I don't think there's any need to exclude these because there are other Exclusions that govern specific situations as you will see below.

I started writing about the Coronavirus on TripInsuranceStore.com on Feb. 5, 2020. Since then, I don't know how many of our customers (it's well over 2,000) have had their trips cancelled, rescheduled or affected by the Coronavirus.

On March 30, 2020, I wrote a Blog post called "Overlooked Travel Insurance Exclusions" (https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/overlooked-travel-insurance-exclusions/) because even though our plans do not exclude pandemics or epidemics, there are other Exclusions that are the reason most people have not been covered.

Here are some common ones:

• A government regulation, mandate or prohibition
  • Failure of any tour operator, common carrier, person or agency to provide the bargained-for travel arrangements. If a travel supplier changes the itinerary, but still gives you a similar trip or a future travel credit or waives the change fees, there’s no payable claim.
  • Changes in plans by the Insured, a Family Member, or Traveling Companion, for any not-covered reason; unless the optional Cancel for Any Reason coverage was purchased.
  • Fear, worry, concern about something that might happen on the trip. Read this if your doctor’s suggesting you don’t take your trip: Don’t Cancel for Your Own Medical Reasons If You’re Not Ill or Injured .

I don't want to duplicate that blog post here, but it's worth reading.

I hope this makes sense.

Steve

• Like 1