Pier 35 in San Francisco

Kallen

My husband has raised some interesting questions regarding the port setup in SF since we've only departed from Fort Lauderdale on previous cruises. How close do the taxis let you off to the building? Do we board the Dawn Princess in the open air (versus via the ramps inside the building in FLL) on those very steep ramps, lugging carry-ons? Is everything well marked inside the building so we'll end up in the right line-up? We'd appreciate any comments and enlightening facts from those who have sailed from Pier 35.

Can't comment on what's inside the building, but Pier 35 fronts on Embarcadaro. A moored cruise ship seems as if the bow is jutting over the road.

http://akeps.com/p35/cruiseshipterminal.html

Cabs shoud be dropping you off right in front, and maybe even inside the Pier bldg as there is parking inside the pier bldgs

The terminal is right next to Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf tourist attractions (traps).....

Google: Pier 35 San Francisco

My husband has raised some interesting questions regarding the port setup in SF since we've only departed from Fort Lauderdale on previous cruises. How close do the taxis let you off to the building? Do we board the Dawn Princess in the open air (versus via the ramps inside the building in FLL) on those very steep ramps, lugging carry-ons? Is everything well marked inside the building so we'll end up in the right line-up? We'd appreciate any comments and enlightening facts from those who have sailed from Pier 35.

We were there a few years ago as a port call. Terminal is almost 100% inside with ramps rather than stairs (returning to the ship was after a day in Wine Country... so it's a little fuzzy :) )

A cab can drop you off at the front door. Very painless.

There was only one ship in port the day we were there so it was easy to find our way. For you, I'm sure there will be lots of signs if there's more than one ship. The terminal reminded me of a huge poorly lit warehouse, but again, it should be a piece of cake.

http://www.sfport.com/site/port_page.asp?id=37373

here's the link to the port schedule.

( PS.... a breeze compared to Miami)

• 4 weeks later...

Can someone please tell me what the best way is to get to the pier is from the SF airport. We just booked April 19th on the Dawn Princess and am curious if there are shuttles or if we should cab it and how much that usually runs.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hi Charity...

'm a city person so a $4-$5. BART ride is no big deal to me. SFO to Embarcadaro is a breeze; however, you do have to haul you luggage on mass transit. It's (Embarcadaro) a few blocks to the pier or several hotels.

Taxi, it just depends on how many people & where you're staying. I don't recall how much ..$ 50. $60?????? plus tip.

Personally in almost ANY city I would rather pick a Mass rail system over a shuttle, but that's only if the boarding & exiting stations were to my convenience. Shutttles usually go round & round & round an airport until it's fillled up before it leaves the airport.

SF has great public transit : ) ... btw..... if your'e early check out fisherman's wharf....tourististy, but within walking distance( as long as you dump the luggage).

Enjoy... one of my fav cities.....

When we sailed from here, our ride dropped us off inside the building and we just wandered over to the Princess desk. We were really early, but they checked us in, took the luggage and that gave us time to wander the terminal - there are some chairs, a rest room, usual terminal stuff. It would be better to just take the necessary documentation and wander. We went down to the pier and had lunch at our favorite restaurant (Tartantino's) and just kicked around until they let us on board.

Charity Geo - The BART ride out from the airport isn't bad and it's easy to manuever with luggage (we BART in all the time from the Valley). The walk can be long with luggage(or in bad weather), but you always pick up a cab from the BART station.

Hope this helps!

Charlie

Thank you for your replies. I will take this into consideration. We will have a lot of luggage. I have taken the BART once many years ago but it was not from the airport. Is it pretty easy to find at the airport and well marked so as not to end up going to the wrong place.

Thanks again

Can someone please tell me what the best way is to get to the pier is from the SF airport. We just booked April 19th on the Dawn Princess and am curious if there are shuttles or if we should cab it and how much that usually runs.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks

I used to live in the Bay Area and also we cruised out of San Francisco in 2002.

I would recommend two options. Either take a tax cab (there are plenty of sedan cabs or if you have a good deal of luggage there is plenty of van taxi cabs. Another option is to use a shuttle service such as supershuttle. You can go to their website at http://www.supershuttle.com

I would think that you would want to be dropped off right at the cruise ship terminal so I would not consider mass transporation given that you will have luggage to worry about.

Keith

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

It all depends on your priority - if it is convenience - then call Super Shuttle. If you want to spend less then BART would be a good way to go. BART is easy to get to at the airport. You would get off at Embarcadero, and then you can grab a cab to go the rest of the way to the Pier. There is a bus you can take, but I wouldn't suggest it with a lot of luggage.

Then have fun!

Archived