CDC unveils new grading system for cruise ships. It could help crew get home

Through out my 61 years I’ve known 1 person to die from the flu. In the last 3 months I’ve had 2 friends die from the virus, one of which had absolutely no underlying condition, and 8 residents of my mother in laws independent living facility have passed away from it. I will agree it’s not as deadly as they expected, but please don’t tell me it’s no worse than the flu. 

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I have used the infirmary and it is just as good as any medical center I ever ever used. 

I am sorry, but the infirmary on a cruise ship in its current state is nothing like a land hospital in the US.  You must be using some pretty sad hospital systems for their ICU care to be on the same level as the infirmary.  

I will not elaborate on every single nuance, but they are not equivalent.  Not in the least.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I have used the infirmary and it is just as good as any medical center I ever ever used. Plus, by the time we cruise again. I am sure they will be ready for anyone to come down with it. Still. The FLU no one cares about anymore.

I'm sorry but no. A cruise ship infirmary is a gloried clinic. Anything serious would require additional help, ala heli transport out or specific medical personnel coming in.

As an ex Sartech working out of Comox (Vancouver Isand), during my time there, I must have flown out to cruise ships at least 6-12 times a year.