IONA Maiden Voyage G024?

Findus Stander

16 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Unevidenced generalities.

What warnings from Italy were ignored?

its not PMs job to be at every cobra Meeting. Do you know what cobra is?

Please name the scientists you refer to.

Please evidence why lockdown was 2 weeks late? We entered lockdown on March 23 when reported cases rose to 967. Italy went into lockdown on 9 March when daily cases were 1797. In reality we learnt from Italy and locked down earlier. Lockdown has to be finely balanced to take the country’s economy into account too. 

PPE is normally stockpiled for a crisis or major incident within the NHS. In normal times absolutely massive stockpiling would not be practical or affordable. Seeing what was happening in Italy and Spain, the Health Secretary made massive preparations and contracts to get PPE. But please bear in mind all new sources and contractors have to submit samples for testing to make sure we are not giving the NHS sub standard equipment. Not all passed those stringent tests, Turkey PPE is a case in point.

Care homes are a completely different matter. These are typically owned by private individuals or companies and are not run by the Government or NHS. The PPE for care homes is the responsibility of the owners and before the pandemic they were buying their own. When care homes became overwhelmed, the government started to supply them with PPE, which put even more pressure on supplies.

Second worst death rare in the world. Time will show where the largest number of deaths occurred. Was it because of living conditions? In some cases 3 generations living under the same roof? Was it because of at risk occupations, e.g. bus drivers? Was because people ignored lockdown and started protest rallies?

in short, we’ve done better than most.

I really think you must be living in a parallel universe. Try looking at the facts, showing us very clearly to be one of the very worst performers in the world, rather than the filtered facts pushed out by Cummings.  

It comes to something when the government is heavily criticised by its own watchdog for putting out faked statistics!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Scratchrat said:

New Zealand reopening fully tonight due to no active cases! That's good!

New Zealand, with a female, caring, intelligent, involved PM, provides a very sharp contrast with what we’ve got.

Their record has been exemplary, everything ours hasn’t been, and one of the key reasons has been openness and honesty.  The public have trusted their government, they acted very quickly to lock down, and didn’t prevaricate as we did.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, batholiver said:

Corbyn wasn't the best alternative,  I'll give you that, but at least he isn't a celebrated liar like the current PM, and i honestly believe he'd have made a better fist of this than the clowns now making such a mess of it. This isn't a case of criticising not achieving 100% - the outcome's much nearer 0%.

Almost the worst death rate in the world,  and economic collapse  -  mostly because the supposed leader was too lazy and unintelligent to act sooner.  And now he's going too far the other way far too soon to try to correct the earlier mistakes.  Like a huge,  dumb  swinging pendulum that's completely out of control,  with Cummings pushing the buttons because Johnson can't. 

Posted in error.

Edited by majortom10

31 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

I really think you must be living in a parallel universe. Try looking at the facts, showing us very clearly to be one of the very worst performers in the world, rather than the filtered facts pushed out by Cummings.  

It comes to something when the government is heavily criticised by its own watchdog for putting out faked statistics!

All generalities I’m afraid. You’re not putting forward a reasoned discussion.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Unevidenced generalities.

What warnings from Italy were ignored?

its not PMs job to be at every cobra Meeting. Do you know what cobra is?

Please name the scientists you refer to.

Please evidence why lockdown was 2 weeks late? We entered lockdown on March 23 when reported cases rose to 967. Italy went into lockdown on 9 March when daily cases were 1797. In reality we learnt from Italy and locked down earlier. Lockdown has to be finely balanced to take the country’s economy into account too. 

PPE is normally stockpiled for a crisis or major incident within the NHS. In normal times absolutely massive stockpiling would not be practical or affordable. Seeing what was happening in Italy and Spain, the Health Secretary made massive preparations and contracts to get PPE. But please bear in mind all new sources and contractors have to submit samples for testing to make sure we are not giving the NHS sub standard equipment. Not all passed those stringent tests, Turkey PPE is a case in point.

Care homes are a completely different matter. These are typically owned by private individuals or companies and are not run by the Government or NHS. The PPE for care homes is the responsibility of the owners and before the pandemic they were buying their own. When care homes became overwhelmed, the government started to supply them with PPE, which put even more pressure on supplies.

Second worst death rare in the world. Time will show where the largest number of deaths occurred. Was it because of living conditions? In some cases 3 generations living under the same roof? Was it because of at risk occupations, e.g. bus drivers? Was because people ignored lockdown and started protest rallies?

Read this.  It may enlighten you on the actual facts, rather than the misinformation you're being fed:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-38-days-when-britain-sleepwalked-into-disaster-hq3b9tlgh

30 minutes ago, batholiver said:

Read this.  It may enlighten you on the actual facts, rather than the misinformation you're being fed:

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-38-days-when-britain-sleepwalked-into-disaster-hq3b9tlgh

https://order-order.com/2020/04/21/sunday-times-journalists-discredited-track-record/

https://healthmedia.blog.gov.uk/2020/04/19/response-to-sunday-times-insight-article/

Edited by PRINCESSTHE BEST
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, batholiver said:

Every journalist will express his own views based on his own political leanings.

That's why we have hundreds of differing versions of historic events.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Seriously? Better than Germany, France, Austria, Australia, New Zealand, Canada? There is a very short list of countries that have done worse than the UK. 

15 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Seriously? Better than Germany, France, Austria, Australia, New Zealand, Canada? There is a very short list of countries that have done worse than the UK. 

It’s even worse than that. The one country with a worse record is Trump’s United States, with a very similar leader, who also delayed any action until too late.

Not a coincidence.

8 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

Again generalisations. I will gladly answer any well reasoned discussion.

OK.  Just for starters:

Why is the UK death rate per million the 4th highest in the world if we’re doing so well?

Why are so many dentists unable to undertake any drilling work, despite reopening, because they had to donate their PPE and emergency oxygen supplies to keep hospitals afloat?

Why have the testing results been faked to such an extent that an official government body has criticised the presentation of the figures as unreliable and misleading?

2 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I wonder what/who the entertainers will be once she gets going mid October? Gary is probably got other commitments by now, perhaps they will have pulse from Britannia.

We were booked on the Maiden voyage and the following 7 day cruise. It would be nice if we were offered ‘first dibs’ when she finally comes on line. I’m sure the entertainment will be first class, but I still hope Gary Barlow will be on board.

2 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

We were booked on the Maiden voyage and the following 7 day cruise. It would be nice if we were offered ‘first dibs’ when she finally comes on line. I’m sure the entertainment will be first class, but I still hope Gary Barlow will be on board.

Somebody else said they hope Gary will be on board.😂

18 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

The Observer view on the government's handling of the Covid-19 crisis

Observer editorial:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/jun/07/the-observer-view-on-the-governments-handling-of-the-covid-19-crisis

"The government has so far proved too willing to take reckless risks with people’s lives. It must be called to account for that sooner rather than later."

Or try an alternative view from the New Statesman, based on SAGE meetings earlier this year:  https://www.newstatesman.com/science-tech/coronavirus/2020/06/where-science-went-wrong

I agree with you that the whole thing has been a disaster, but some of the blame may lie elsewhere.

37 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

OK.  Just for starters:

Why is the UK death rate per million the 4th highest in the world if we’re doing so well?

Why are so many dentists unable to undertake any drilling work, despite reopening, because they had to donate their PPE and emergency oxygen supplies to keep hospitals afloat?

Why have the testing results been faked to such an extent that an official government body has criticised the presentation of the figures as unreliable and misleading?

I think I answered the first one in my previous post. It is suggested that there are various reasons. London, a prime example of overcrowding on trains, buses and other social reasons such as crowded accommodation with several generations living together. The lack of testing capacity was key also, but this country did not have the scientific resources to cope. Germany was clearly Europe’s leaders as they have a far larger scientific capability than us.

As far as I’m aware dentists weren’t forced to handover PPE and oxygen to the NHS. It was a voluntary gesture as all dentists were closing down. As with care homes, dentists are private concerns and not part of the NHS (although some take on NHS work). As such they are responsible for sourcing their own supplies of PPE. I understand a lot of the companies that supplied dentists in the past are now undertaking supply to the NHS, which has made obtaining PPE difficult. Honeywell is a case in point, they have signed a contract with the NHS to supply masks and as a result it is hard to get them now.

I’m not sure that I know what you mean by ‘faked results’. All I do know is that in excess of 200,000 tests per day are being issued. By that I mean, either administered (that may be more than one test per patient) or posted out. The posted out ones take longer to come back and some probably never come back, but at the moment statisticians (not politicians) are striving to give more accurate figures.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Giving up now and trying to find a cruise site rather than same old,same old bash anybody.com😠

Not all of us are like that.

Let's try and get back on track eh?

Iona is looking beautiful! Just watched a video of her sailing into Rotterdam and damn shes a pretty one 😄

• Like 1

11 hours ago, batholiver said:

Corbyn wasn't the best alternative,  I'll give you that, but at least he isn't a celebrated liar like the current PM, and i honestly believe he'd have made a better fist of this than the clowns now making such a mess of it. This isn't a case of criticising not achieving 100% - the outcome's much nearer 0%.

Almost the worst death rate in the world,  and economic collapse  -  mostly because the supposed leader was too lazy and unintelligent to act sooner.  And now he's going too far the other way far too soon to try to correct the earlier mistakes.  Like a huge,  dumb  swinging pendulum that's completely out of control,  with Cummings pushing the buttons because Johnson can't. 

What did he say----------You stupid women!!! The spoken words!

Edited by mercury7289

4 hours ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

He wasn’t due to be on the original Maiden though. 

8 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

He wasn’t due to be on the original Maiden though. 

No, I think he was due in July. I did get an email saying who the entertainers were on the maiden but you had to buy tickets to enter the theatre to see them.

Edited by PRINCESSTHE BEST

10 minutes ago, PRINCESSTHE BEST said:

No, I think he was due in July. I did get an email saying who the entertainers were on the maiden but you had to buy tickets to enter the theatre to see them.

Irrelevant now because the maiden didn’t happen but there were no charges planned for any of the entertainment apart from the Limelight Club. Tickets would have been issued for Tony Hadley’s concert to give everybody a chance to see him. They were free! Other concerts and entertainment were first come first served as usual. 

Talk about a thread being completing ruined by the exact problem currently dividing our country at a time when we should be showing solidarity. Please do not post any more political ramblings on this thread, create your own!! God forbid getting sat next to you boring lot (non political posters exempt) at the dining table during my next cruise.😘😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1