Maintenance of idle ships and restarting

cementhands

The process of recalling the crew back to the fleet's ships would also entails in-service training of new protocols for the officers & crew alike, and documented for compliance.  

Entertainers and the main theater show performers, etc. would need to be reassembled, do their rehearsals and get used to new guidelines and rules ... I cannot envision the dancers and singers wearing a mask for the performance.  It will be equally challenging to come up with ways of maintaining social distancing at 1 meter or 3 ft. apart on that small stage, alone alone the recommended 6 ft. or 2 meters.  

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Broadwaybb said:

Found it. Now I’m totally depressed! Hope they get things moving a little sooner.

One reason that I do think it's real is that even FDR had announced at least a month ago that they were going to take a phased approach to redeploying the fleet (a couple of ships per month.)  That is exactly what this file lays out. But like @mking8288 says, there are a lot of moving parts to restarting and that takes time (especially considering some crew members are not even home yet!)

17 minutes ago, Debberly said:

I can't find it.   Epic?   

It was removed from FB at the request of NCL (which seems to lend credence to its validity.)

I want to respect that so that I don't get in trouble here, but I do want to help you. I won't post the exact relaunch date on the file I saw, but based on the Epic roll call date in your posting history, you should be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Debberly said:

I can't find it.   Epic?   

I saw the list briefly but it has been taken down or at least I'm not seeing it anymore. Epic showed first week in December. We are looking at booking the Epic in January so I was curious about that ship specifically.

• Like 1

Epic was listed as Dec. 6, which coincidentally, was the date of debarkation from the transatlantic, so sounds like the TA is not going to happen. We requested a refund of money for the TA sailing (not paid in full) and received it within 2 weeks, for those of  you keeping track.

• Like 1

So now we have people saying ships won't be ready to sail based on the experience they have from closing their land based seasonal business?  LOL....the internet makes everyone an expert I guess.

42 minutes ago, ray98 said:

So now we have people saying ships won't be ready to sail based on the experience they have from closing their land based seasonal business?  LOL....the internet makes everyone an expert I guess.

These recent posts were about relaunch dates are based on the NCL file leak (which has now been posted in it's own discussion thread.)

On 6/7/2020 at 10:23 AM, pickle11 said:

Thank you for your words of encouragement.  You make it obvious that the cruise lines will not be ready.  How many times a day do you use the toilet on a cruise?  Normal smooth cruises I guess will not happen.  Maybe machines do not have to be used at 100% capacity all the time.

I guess you can use the same concern for the airline industry as a lot of planes are sitting idle now too.  Maintenance for equipment not being used regularly at 100% capacity. 

One of my best friends is a chief mechanic with American at a major maintenance base.  He said the mechanics have never been as busy as they have been during this slowdown.  They are constantly operating all engines, systems, rotating tires, performing minor repairs that were put off while they were flying 18 hours a day, etc.  With airliners all costing $100M+ a piece, they cannot afford to let them fall into disrepair.

On 6/8/2020 at 2:38 PM, pcakes122 said:

Speaking of schedules, there was an NCLH "relaunch schedule" (including ship names & dates of NCL, Oceania & Regent ships) posted on a FB group about an hour ago.  (It was a screenshot of an Excel file that was supposedly shared via email with some Breakaway crew.)  I won't share it here since I don't want to spread an entire list of unsubstantiated rumors (and if it is valid I'm sure it wasn't meant for public release!) but I will say that the earliest relaunch of an NCL ship was last week of September.  There was 1 ship in September, 4 in October, 4 in November, 4 in December,  2 in January, and 2 in February (if I counted correctly!)

The file is out there on the interwebs if folks want to see it.  I cannot link the FB group but the group topic is focused on cruises out of NYC.

PS Edited to add that I see the list is now also being cross-posted to some NCL FB groups.

That schedule is totally inaccurate. Someone made that up and spread it like wildfire... It just happens to be a coincidence that the Jewel was cancelled today and around the same date. The reason was for redeployment... not for restart. 

7 hours ago, romalley99 said:

That schedule is totally inaccurate. Someone made that up and spread it like wildfire... It just happens to be a coincidence that the Jewel was cancelled today and around the same date. The reason was for redeployment... not for restart. 

Can anyone separate truth from fiction right now??? Unless you are a corporate exec. with inside information, No One knows it's all speculation.

And I'm not sure Corporate Execs know the final plan yet.

As a side note and a little off topic , the advice of our lawyers for our Condo Association pool changes weekly.

Can't imagine what cruise lines lawyers are supporting/changing.

Edited by beerman2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, romalley99 said:

And you know its totally inaccurate how???

• Haha 1

I don't believe this was "made up."  (I saw the original "original" (before wildfire spread) post on FB and - not that you can know someone from their online profile - but the OP definitely didn't seem like someone who would make up something to deceive the masses about NCL - and she didn't even CREATE a post to share it.  She shared it in RESPONSE to someone who asked what the chances were of their particular cruise actually sailing.  I do believe she does have a friend on the Breakaway crew and was innocently trying to help.  I don't know her at all, but if this was intended to deceive I believe it would have be shared to the internet in a much different way (and it would have looked much more "official" - what she shared doesn't even say it is an NCL file - it just shows NCLH ship names.)

That said, a couple of other observations.  1) It is clear NCL didn't want this shared in public at this time.  2) We have no idea what "re-launch" on that column in the spreadsheet means to NCL (e.g. relaunch crew, relaunch a process, relaunch ????, etc.)  If you notice, there are also what appears to be dates in the NEXT column (and we can't see the heading on that column.)  So,while this does maybe give us a general idea of what NCL is planning, it is by no means a clear-cut schedule of actual sailing relaunches.

I will also add that while NCL didn't want this shared (they asked FB admins to remove it), I don't really think it is negative publicity at all.  In fact, I was actually happy to see it.  First, I was curious (as we all are) of what NCL's relaunch plan was (August, September, 2022, etc.??) and now I feel like I have a better idea.  Second, I think the plan makes alot of sense.  Staggered and steady relaunch - just like FDR outlined in public statements.  While I love to cruise, if NCL cruises in August I still think it's too soon, in my opinion.

So I think this was a good thing for NCL overall from my perspective and I think it was just an oops, not someone intentionally making anything up to stir drama across cruise groups.  I also believe that there are folks who also may have crew friends who have NOT seen this file (because perhaps it was only shared among specific departments,, i.e. engineering or mechanical), so that may be why they think it is false.

Of course, time will tell. 🙂 

Edited by pcakes122
  • Thanks 1

On 6/8/2020 at 2:38 PM, pcakes122 said:

Speaking of schedules, there was an NCLH "relaunch schedule" (including ship names & dates of NCL, Oceania & Regent ships) posted on a FB group about an hour ago.  (It was a screenshot of an Excel file that was supposedly shared via email with some Breakaway crew.)  I won't share it here since I don't want to spread an entire list of unsubstantiated rumors (and if it is valid I'm sure it wasn't meant for public release!) but I will say that the earliest relaunch of an NCL ship was last week of September.  There was 1 ship in September, 4 in October, 4 in November, 4 in December,  2 in January, and 2 in February (if I counted correctly!)

The file is out there on the interwebs if folks want to see it.  I cannot link the FB group but the group topic is focused on cruises out of NYC.

PS Edited to add that I see the list is now also being cross-posted to some NCL FB groups.

Here is what NCL advised me regarding the circulating image:

"We here at NCL are as eager to set sail as you are! Regarding the circulated image, there are still a few unknowns but we are planning for a variety of relaunch scenarios. We continue to work across several plans and time frames to ensure we are best prepared for the resumption of sailing and we will, of course, share information as it becomes available. If it’s not directly from us, it is fair to say the least, it is not credible information. We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding as we continue to navigate through this evolving situation."