11 month old...are we crazy?

Blueeyes101817

We had an Alaskan cruise booked that we cancelled before the pandemic due to getting pregnant-I would have been too far along to travel. Now that the cruise itself has been cancelled, the rest of my family is rebooking for next summer. My husband and I are trying to decide if we should bring the baby or if we are crazy to consider it. We have both been on many cruises and know it will be different than any other cruise we have taken. We will be traveling with my parents, brother, sister in law, and 3 other kids with the youngest being 7.  Any tips and tricks would be greatly appreciated as well!

Are you saying possibly go without the baby, or just not go at all?  I would book with the baby since it can be harder to get a cabin for 3 as dates get closer.  If you end up deciding that the baby's temperament isn't compatible with cruising, you can cancel.   If you do a search here, you'll find lots of threads about cruising with babies - mostly very positive.  I found cruising to be the most relaxing way to travel with a baby.  If you'd like,  you can choose a cruise with a nursery (some RCCL ships, maybe others) to provide some babysitting time, but it sounds like you'll have lots of family along as well.  A good stroller is my best tip - ships are big with lots of walking and a comfortable stroller will allow baby to sleep while you keep going.  Happy to answer any other questions.

Thank you so much. It would be with the baby or not at all.

I know we are going Royal Caribbean since that is who we were booked with before we had to cancel. I did not even think about booking and then cancelling if his temperament does not seem like we could do it. Thank you so much!

21 hours ago, cb at sea said:

This is a vacation...and as a family, why wouldn't you take your child?

The question was not if we would take our child or leave him home--if we go, we are taking him. We were just looking to see experiences from other people that have taken a child of similar age to Alaska. 

If we do not go on the cruise, we would be choosing another vacation spot. We are not talking about not bringing him if we go.

1 hour ago, Blueeyes101817 said:

The question was not if we would take our child or leave him home--if we go, we are taking him. We were just looking to see experiences from other people that have taken a child of similar age to Alaska. 

If we do not go on the cruise, we would be choosing another vacation spot. We are not talking about not bringing him if we go.

Pay no attention toCB.  This  "advice" is just another of her constantly repeated stock posts.  Her favorite line is "you're a family now, so that's how you vacation"  She doesn't get it that some vacation options are more suited (or not) to young  children.  Speaking from personal  experience, our grand-daughter accompanied us and the rest of the family on a cruise at about 20 months, and my daughter said "never again".  It all depends on the child and the family make-up.  I hope whatever you choose results in a wonderful vacation for all.  🙂

Edited by Rala
typo

1 hour ago, Rala said:

Pay no attention toCB.  This  "advice" is just another of her constantly repeated stock posts.  Her favorite line is "you're a family now, so that's how you vacation"  She doesn't get it that some vacation options are more suited (or not) to young  children.  Speaking from personal  experience, our grand-daughter accompanied us and the rest of the family on a cruise at about 20 months, and my daughter said "never again".  It all depends on the child and the family make-up.  I hope whatever you choose results in a wonderful vacation for all.  🙂

Thank you so much for your response! I appreciate it!!

• 4 weeks later...

We've been cruising with our kids since 6 months, including 11 months to Alaska on Celebrity. Everyone had a great time, you'll love it. Enjoy and congrats on your new bundle. 

Edit to respond to the post above. 

My kids are older now, but we found that cruising was the most challenging, though still fun, when they were between 18 months and 3 years. Babies are much easier to travel with. 

Edited by linz98144