ex Celebrity Horizon to India

johanc

I noticed that the Horizon (now Pullmantur but still owned by RCL) is now heading for India.

She was layd up in Dubai and should go to Greece for the summer season. Instead she is is now listed as going to Mumbai.

Is this the end or what?

Wouldn't be surprised. We sailed on her in 2005 in her final season. She was a great ship then very well maintained. Not sure about what happened after that in terms of quality

Edited by pumpkin 11

The Horizon was our first Celebrity cruise and was in Alaska in 1996.  Also sailed on her 2004 on their Ultimate Caribbean itinerary.  We also sailed on her sister, the Zenith, several times.  Enjoyed both ships!

Our first Celebrity ship too.  Went to Bermuda in 2001.  It was my husbands first cruise and it rained every day but 2 out of 7.  Very rough seas over and back.  Well he loved it anyways and we haven’t stopped yet!

Also sailed the Horizon for our honeymoon back in January of 1995. This was my new wife's first cruise (my fourth). She has been sold on cruising ever since. Funny thing happen that I told my wife that would never happen again; we got invited to the Captain's Table for dinner. No idea why, just nobodies in a standard outside cabin. The following year we sailed on the then brand new Century and once again we were invited to the Captain's Table. Again, no reason why. We felt way out of place when we met our table mates for both cruises. Others were obvious choices, high-end suites, travel agents, wealthy, etc. Actually, we are kind of gald that we have never been invited since. Overall, not a great experience, but very glad that we got to do it twice.

3 minutes ago, sptrout said:

Also sailed the Horizon for our honeymoon back in January of 1995. This was my new wife's first cruise (my fourth). She has been sold on cruising ever since. Funny thing happen that I told my wife that would never happen again; we got invited to the Captain's Table for dinner. No idea why, just nobodies in a standard outside cabin. The following year we sailed on the then brand new Century and once again we were invited to the Captain's Table. Again, no reason why. We felt way out of place when we met our table mates for both cruises. Others were obvious choices, high-end suites, travel agents, wealthy, etc. Actually, we are kind of gald that we have never been invited since. Overall, not a great experience, but very glad that we got to do it twice.

Why was it a "not a great experience"?  Because you felt out of place?  Or something else?

1 hour ago, pumpkin 11 said:

Wouldn't be surprised. We sailed on her in 2005 in her final season. She was a great ship then very well maintained. Not sure about what happened after that in terms of quality

We also sailed on Horizon during that final season (Apr 2005).  One of her starboard cabins towards the aft was outfitted with a trial balcony!

9 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Why was it a "not a great experience"?  Because you felt out of place?  Or something else?

Yea, we felt way out of place. The tables were long and the couples were mixed-up so your immediate table mates were total strangers. I am shy and am not one to start, or carry on, a conversation with a person that I do not know. My wife is the exact opposite, she has never met a stranger.

Since the Horizon cruise was my wife's first, she decided to "premedicate" for possible sea sickness by wearing the "patch". Later that evening when we received the official group photo, my wife just happened to look at that moment liked she was totally stoned (was not). Patches, never again LOL. 

20 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

We also sailed on Horizon during that final season (Apr 2005).  One of her starboard cabins towards the aft was outfitted with a trial balcony!

Oh cool! We were March or April. We couldn't leave Tampa until the next day since the fog was too thick. We ended up skipping Grand Cayman all together and had 3 sea days to get to our next port which was costa rica I believe. 

33 minutes ago, sptrout said:

We were also invited to the Captains Table on Horizon and  Mercury and I think that at the time Amanda Reid was the Hostess and she was responsible for choosing the table guests.  We are not wealthy, nor were we in a high end suite,  but we managed to dress the part LOL!  Great memories for sure.

Zenith was one of my first.  Great ship.  Century was also fun, wish they kept that class of ship, even tho layout was very funky on it.  I just remember going up a flight and then down a flight to get to a lounge area, no direct way

3 hours ago, sptrout said:

I am shy and am not one to start, or carry on, a conversation with a person that I do not know. My wife is the exact opposite, she has never met a stranger.

The same could be said of my wife and me!

3 hours ago, pumpkin 11 said:

Oh cool! We were March or April. We couldn't leave Tampa until the next day since the fog was too thick. We ended up skipping Grand Cayman all together and had 3 sea days to get to our next port which was costa rica I believe. 

Oops, I am kind of wrong.  The sailing was on March 25, 2005 and it finished in April--it was an Easter cruise.  We may have been on the same 10 night sailing because we were also fogged in at Tampa and was forced to stay overnight there and then left the following morning.  And, yes, Grand Cayman got scrubbed because of it which was disappointing.  I am guessing we were on the same sailing!

d Horizon at Roatan Honduras.jpg

Edited by mahdnc

13 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Oops, I am kind of wrong.  The sailing was on March 25, 2005 and it finished in April--it was an Easter cruise.  We may have been on the same 10 night sailing because we were also fogged in at Tampa and was forced to stay overnight there and then left the following morning.  And, yes, Grand Cayman got scrubbed because of it which was disappointing.  I am guessing we were on the same sailing!

d Horizon at Roatan Honduras.jpg

Yes friend! We we're on the same cruise. I remember the sailing being relatively choppy. The itinerary was great.