Wheelchair usage?

cterry

We are getting ready 3/6/06 to set sail on Sovereign of the Seas. We are getting so excited. My parents will be joining us to celebrate their 50th anniversary (this is their 1st cruise). Mom is having a great deal of problem walking. We have convinced her to bring a walker with her to help getting around the ship. We are concerned, however, about Nassau. Does anyone know if the ship has wheelchairs that it will lend out for a day of sightseeing? I really don't think she can manager all the walking.

I understand that they have sand wheelchairs on cococay. I hope we are able to utilize one of those.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

On CoCoCay, the special wheelchairs are in a little "corral" just to the left of where you get off the tender. Just ask the nice RC people at the landing, and they'll help you get one. (can't help with the Nassau question, except to second what new cruise r said about contacting RC's special needs dept.)

While they do have wheelchairs on the ship, they are reserved for helping passengers board and emergencies - they will NOT permit you to use them either on board or in ports as a rule. You should look into renting one for the week (check the disabled board for names of places that will deliver directly to the cruise ship and pick up afterward). Maybe your mom would be happier with a scooter so she can get around on her own? My friend who has difficulty walking distances rented one last year and was delighted to be able to get around on her own (no need to have someone push a wheelchair).

CareVacations is where we rented a scooter for my MIL this past October on the Voyager.

Depending on well the person moves around I might second thinking about a scooter. It was a bit pricey but it let my MIL enjoy the cruise and not be stuck in the room.

If you don't have an hc cabin check to see it they have scooters that fit through a regular door; you don't want to leave a scooter or a wheelchair in the hallway.

Calm seas,

Caroline

We've been thinking about renting a small scooter for my MIL, who had ankle surgery a year ago and still has trouble walking great distances. We're going on the Mariner on 2/19, and my husband and I are concerned that she won't be able to walk from her cabin to dinner, much less anywhere else on such a huge ship. After reading your post, I went the the CareVacations website and sent them a request. Thanks for such a helpful post...!!

We recently rented a wheelchair for my son from Care Vacations for my teen son who broke his pelvis. The wheelchair was delivered to our cabin. We were able to leave it there when we left and it was picked-up. It was very easy and their service was great! We completed a form they faxed to us and we faxed it back to them. Payment was by credit card.

We asked for a wheelchair in the terminal for him when boarding but never did get it. He was able to walk on crutches if it was not too farso we decided to do that rather than wait forever. I would recommend if you need a wheelchair in the terminal for embarkation to get there early, before it gets really crowded.

Archived