A Memory and an Anniversary: Royal Viking Line

As I write this, 40 years ago at this time--4:49 P. M.--Royal Viking Sky was preparing to slip her lines for a 5:00 P. M. sailing from New York to Copenhagen.  My traveling companion and I were aboard for our first trans-Atlantic crossing followed by a North Cape Cruise.  My Mother, Father, Brother, and Sister-in-Law had just left the ship after visiting the ship and joining us for our Bon Voyage Party in our stateroom.  It was a moment in time that is as vivid today in my memory as it has always been.  The Sky blew her whistle as we back out into the Hudson River from Pier 88 as the ship's orchestra played on one of the open decks.  My family chased us along the top of the Pier as we left the dock and entered the River.  Memories of seeing my family getting to the very end of the Pier and waving and waving and waving, etc.  It's hard to believe that it has been 40 years ago!  

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2020 at 5:00 PM, rkacruiser said:

As I write this, 40 years ago at this time--4:49 P. M.--Royal Viking Sky was preparing to slip her lines for a 5:00 P. M. sailing from New York to Copenhagen.  My traveling companion and I were aboard for our first trans-Atlantic crossing followed by a North Cape Cruise.  My Mother, Father, Brother, and Sister-in-Law had just left the ship after visiting the ship and joining us for our Bon Voyage Party in our stateroom.  It was a moment in time that is as vivid today in my memory as it has always been.  The Sky blew her whistle as we back out into the Hudson River from Pier 88 as the ship's orchestra played on one of the open decks.  My family chased us along the top of the Pier as we left the dock and entered the River.  Memories of seeing my family getting to the very end of the Pier and waving and waving and waving, etc.  It's hard to believe that it has been 40 years ago!  

Great memories RK.  You never forget your first cruise or your first transatlantic voyage.  Imagine how things have changed in those 40 years.  Your family was actually able to visit you onboard for an impromptu Bon Voyage.  

It was 55 years a week ago today that I sailed from New York on the world famous Queen Elizabeth I...the running mate to the iconic Queen Mary I.  The year was 1965. I was actually in a drum and bugle corps playing Anchors Aweigh on the aft deck while a film crew filmed us from a helicopter as we backed into the river.  We finished with God Save The Queen.  I was just 16 years old.  It was the experience of a lifetime for this budding ocean liner historian.  I really feel that I had an up-close encounter with history while crossing the Atlantic on that storied liner.  If you have ever seen the interiors of the Queen Mary you will know what I am talking about.  I never saw so much exotic wood paneling in my life.  I can still smell the fresh cut flowers and furniture polish.  We did our final performance onboard in the First Class Lounge under the portrait of Queen Elizabeth II.  

• Like 2

On 7/21/2020 at 6:30 PM, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Great memories RK.  You never forget your first cruise or your first transatlantic voyage.  Imagine how things have changed in those 40 years.  Your family was actually able to visit you onboard for an impromptu Bon Voyage.  

It was 55 years a week ago today that I sailed from New York on the world famous Queen Elizabeth I...the running mate to the iconic Queen Mary I.  The year was 1965. I was actually in a drum and bugle corps playing Anchors Aweigh on the aft deck while a film crew filmed us from a helicopter as we backed into the river.  We finished with God Save The Queen.  I was just 16 years old.  It was the experience of a lifetime for this budding ocean liner historian.  I really feel that I had an up-close encounter with history while crossing the Atlantic on that storied liner.  If you have ever seen the interiors of the Queen Mary you will know what I am talking about.  I never saw so much exotic wood paneling in my life.  I can still smell the fresh cut flowers and furniture polish.  We did our final performance onboard in the First Class Lounge under the portrait of Queen Elizabeth II.  

I appreciate you sharing your memories.  Thank you.

As a young teenager, I was able to visit with my family RMS Queen Mary during embarkation prior to a trans-Atlantic sailing.  The beautiful interior of the ship, her stately appearance, the excitement that I witnessed of those embarking the ship, and then, the moment of sailing!  As we departed from Pier 90 that morning, I knew that I "just have to do this"!  I have been blessed to be able to do so!

41 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I appreciate you sharing your memories.  Thank you.

As a young teenager, I was able to visit with my family RMS Queen Mary during embarkation prior to a trans-Atlantic sailing.  The beautiful interior of the ship, her stately appearance, the excitement that I witnessed of those embarking the ship, and then, the moment of sailing!  As we departed from Pier 90 that morning, I knew that I "just have to do this"!  I have been blessed to be able to do so!

Those were the days RK.  The memory of the Queen Mary ready for departure must have been wonderful and exhilarating.  I know I was hooked when I first saw the Queen Elizabeth berthed at the NY pier at night with her flood lights illuminating the stacks and her superstructure.  

The last time I saw the Queen Mary was in from the Queen Elizabeth in mid ocean.  she was going full speed heading for New York...what a great sight!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

The last time I saw the Queen Mary was in from the Queen Elizabeth in mid ocean.  she was going full speed heading for New York...what a great sight!  

There have been a few times when my ship overtook or passed another ship.  The one that is most vivid--for whatever reasons--was when the ship that I was on overtook the Chandris ship Amerikanis on sailing day.  She was belching so much black smoke from her funnel.  The contrast between what my ship's funnel was producing and the Amerikanis' was striking.  I was glad on whatever ship on which I was sailing.  

8 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

There have been a few times when my ship overtook or passed another ship.  The one that is most vivid--for whatever reasons--was when the ship that I was on overtook the Chandris ship Amerikanis on sailing day.  She was belching so much black smoke from her funnel.  The contrast between what my ship's funnel was producing and the Amerikanis' was striking.  I was glad on whatever ship on which I was sailing.  

The Amerikanis had that bad habit of belching when getting under way.  I saw it happen twice when I was onboard for 10 days...but it never lasted long.  The American Lady was a wonderful ship.  Every night was New Years Eve.  The Greeks really knew how to party.  The food was great!  One night they had baklava for dessert and we were unable to have it due to a birthday cake being served.  After a night of hellacious partying we went back to our cabin and found a beautiful plate of baklava waiting for us.  

Never sailed on a Chandris ship, but attended a Bon Voyage party for a friend who sailed on Greek Lines Olympia.  My overwhelming memory of that visit was the odor of warm olive oil throughout the ship.  I wondered if the wood paneling had absorbed that odor after being in service for many years.  (I thought it "reeked"; my friend claimed when he returned that he didn't notice it.)  I wonder if the Amerikanis had that same interior "aroma"?

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Never sailed on a Chandris ship, but attended a Bon Voyage party for a friend who sailed on Greek Lines Olympia.  My overwhelming memory of that visit was the odor of warm olive oil throughout the ship.  I wondered if the wood paneling had absorbed that odor after being in service for many years.  (I thought it "reeked"; my friend claimed when he returned that he didn't notice it.)  I wonder if the Amerikanis had that same interior "aroma"?

No aroma on Amerikanis.  The ship had been extensively renovated around 1969.  She was beautiful when I sailed on her in 1972.  Even the cabins were given a facelift.  Although the marble bathrooms remained and they were spectacular...sea green marble with chrome fixtures...beautiful.  The pool deck had two pools side by side with a foot bridge between them and there was plenty of deck space with new aluminum loungers. The Ameriknis had a party atmosphere with very decent live entertainment.  The Greek service was the best.  The dinner menus had more than 100 items every night.  One of our table mates complained to the table captain that there was no shrimp.  Every evening thereafter we had shrimp cocktails to start...not the puny ones that are offered today!  What great memories we have RK.  

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

What great memories we have RK.  

4 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Have enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks to both of you, as it brings back some great memories.

Ought we continue with more memories?  If so, should a new thread be started since the title of this one seemed limited, but our conversations have broadened the scope of my original post?

8 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Have enjoyed reading this thread. Thanks to both of you, as it brings back some great memories.

Thanks Heidi, it looks like all we have at present are our memories.  Since the Covid is raining on our parade I thought it would be a nice break to bring up some fun times past.  Thanks to RK.

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Ought we continue with more memories?  If so, should a new thread be started since the title of this one seemed limited, but our conversations have broadened the scope of my original post?

Sounds good to me RK.  What should we call the new thread?  

15 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Thanks Heidi, it looks like all we have at present are our memories.  Since the Covid is raining on our parade I thought it would be a nice break to bring up some fun times past.  Thanks to RK.

I was working on the ships back in the 70's & 80's, starting right out of school, so unfortunately many of my great memories of the life-style can't really be shared on a public forum. What was acceptable those days is totally taboo today. Suffice to say that on joining my 2nd ship (SS Oriana) all 7 cadets were marched into the Staff Captain's Office, standing rigidly at attention, as he delivered a stern lecture.

He ended with a statement I will never forget, "If you want to work hard, you can play hard, but .........". You better believe, as Senior Cadet, I ensured we all worked hard and he was as good as his word, as we also played hard.

Even though the Bon Voyage Parties were a real hassle for the crew, especially trying to ensure everyone not sailing, returned ashore. They gave the ship a real vibrant pulse for a few hours before departure. Hundreds of people milling around the ship, especially up on the pool decks and bars. Once they all went ashore, the party continued with streamers, singing, etc between ship & shore. Great times.

Captain's Cocktail parties, with everyone "dressed to the nines" and formal receiving lines. As a Junior Officer we were stationed at the end of the line and took pax to one of the many waiters. After some small talk, we headed back to the receiving line. We always managed to steer the younger single ladies to one section of the lounge. Overall, it was great times, where people could actually meet and mingle freely.

I also miss the full dinning experience starting with the dinner chimes calling everyone to the dinning room, where we had proper silver service, vastly superior menus/meals and separate wine waiters. 

CGT & RKA - here is one of the memories I can share, which really highlights the differences between the cruise ships of today with the magnificent liners of the past.

I completed an entire Aussie cruising season aboard SS Oriana in 1977/78. On the final evening, P&O hosted a farewell party for local travel agents. Today it would be run by the Hotel department, with slick entertainment, etc, Not back in those days.

The Captain wanted something on deck with entertainment, food & drinks, so the Staff Captain gave me a day to present a proposal, enlisting other departments, as required. Since we were cruising to the South Pacific, I proposed a Tropical Night, building a stage in the middle of the pool for entertainment, making BBQ's from used drums, lots of lights and decorations and temporary bars with tropical drinks. Make it happen was the response.

We pumped out the pool before arrival, then the cadets built a stage in the middle of the pool, with a platform from the edge of the pool providing access. The entertainers worked on the deck, trim and lighting. Engineers welded some BBQ's from old drums and the galley cooked a plethora of various meats. Drinks flowed like water, as the party extended well into the night, long after the TA's left. The entertainers put on a brilliant show and we had live music the remainder of the evening.

It was a very quiet ship next day, as I disembarked for my flight back to UK.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

CGT & RKA - here is one of the memories I can share, which really highlights the differences between the cruise ships of today with the magnificent liners of the past.

I completed an entire Aussie cruising season aboard SS Oriana in 1977/78. On the final evening, P&O hosted a farewell party for local travel agents. Today it would be run by the Hotel department, with slick entertainment, etc, Not back in those days.

The Captain wanted something on deck with entertainment, food & drinks, so the Staff Captain gave me a day to present a proposal, enlisting other departments, as required. Since we were cruising to the South Pacific, I proposed a Tropical Night, building a stage in the middle of the pool for entertainment, making BBQ's from used drums, lots of lights and decorations and temporary bars with tropical drinks. Make it happen was the response.

We pumped out the pool before arrival, then the cadets built a stage in the middle of the pool, with a platform from the edge of the pool providing access. The entertainers worked on the deck, trim and lighting. Engineers welded some BBQ's from old drums and the galley cooked a plethora of various meats. Drinks flowed like water, as the party extended well into the night, long after the TA's left. The entertainers put on a brilliant show and we had live music the remainder of the evening.

It was a very quiet ship next day, as I disembarked for my flight back to UK.

Hi Heidi,

So you worked for the real P&O...how exciting!!  If we can get RK to respond we will start a new thread...something like Great Cruising Memories...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi Heidi,

So you worked for the real P&O...how exciting!!  If we can get RK to respond we will start a new thread...something like Great Cruising Memories...

I agree.  I'll start the thread.

2 minutes ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Thanks RK!

Posted as you posted your reply.

Maybe with such a title for the thread, there will be others who will reply.

I have puzzled over what such a title ought to be and appreciate the suggestion for the new thread.

Edited by rkacruiser

6 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Hi Heidi,

Affirmative, I started as a P&O Group cadet, initially sailing on the Cadet Training Ship MV Otaio - 55 cadets and the equivalent of military boot camp. 2nd ship was SS Uganda, which was an educational ship with about 1,000 kids and 300+ pax. Later I sailed on Oriana x 2, Canberra & Uganda, before being assigned to the new Princess fleet, sailing on Island & Sun.

Was meant to fly out to Sydney to take Arcadia to the breakers, but that got cancelled.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Affirmative, I started as a P&O Group cadet, initially sailing on the Cadet Training Ship MV Otaio - 55 cadets and the equivalent of military boot camp. 2nd ship was SS Uganda, which was an educational ship with about 1,000 kids and 300+ pax. Later I sailed on Oriana x 2, Canberra & Uganda, before being assigned to the new Princess fleet, sailing on Island & Sun.

Was meant to fly out to Sydney to take Arcadia to the breakers, but that got cancelled.

Hi Heidi,

I remember the Uganda, Oriana and Canberra.  I almost did a transatlantic on Canberra.  Oriana was a beautiful ship.  Island Princess was one of the original Sea Venture/Island Venture.  I remember seeing them in NY Harbor in 1971 when they were brand new.  

Come on over to the new thread and we will recall some of those great times.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, CGTNORMANDIE said:

Island Princess was one of the original Sea Venture/Island Venture.  I remember seeing them in NY Harbor in 1971 when they were brand new.  

I remember seeing Sea Venture in New York in 1971 and was a ship that I considered for my second cruise.  I enjoyed my visit to Bermuda on Rotterdam V the year before that made a Bermuda cruise attractive.