ViVirgin Voyages plan to sail well - hint of our CCL future?

Out of Iowa

USA Today has an article about what Sir Richard Branson's new cruise line will be doing to keep everyone well and healthy.  Starting with all passengers and crew taking a rapid Covid virus task at boarding.  No buffets on their Scarlet Lady - they say they never had plans for a buffet (but it seemed like buffet stations to me!).  An electronic wearable will be used instead of a plastic card for onboard purchases, room "key," etc. 

The part that appealed to me is their partnership with an air filtration company that claims to provide 99.9% neutralization of the virus by bringing in fresh, outside air and cleaning the other air.  This had to be retrofit (already) - but it it is done.

I had no plans to sail Virgin Voyages (not my demographic) but I am impressed by their plans and hope Carnival will seriously consider the techie-bracelet and the air filtration system for indoor and all cabin spaces!

Their plan looks a lot less invasive than what Costa put out yesterday.  It does talk about their hope for rapid Covid-19 testing at the pier.  I have said from the beginning that that would be a way the cruise industry could get up and running sooner.  In my opinion, if you get that in place, you may be able to relax some of the social distancing policies.  It does seem like masks may be required from what they have put out.  

1 hour ago, Fredric22 said:

I have said from the beginning that that would be a way the cruise industry could get up and running sooner.  In my opinion, if you get that in place, you may be able to relax some of the social distancing policies.  .  

I agree.  A quick test prior to boarding would get things moving.

My only concern is what are they going to do with the positives?  Depending on which data you choose to believe, as many as 90 percent of those who are positive have no symptoms and therefore may never be tested.  I'd hate to show up and be denied boarding.

If you read the statement, they're just looking for an effective pre-boarding screening.  I don't think this will happen because rapid testing will not be reliable enough.  They can get sued over both false positives and negatives.

A safe bet would be that if you come to the pier with a negative test within a few days, you can bypass some of the screening procedures.

The thing is, by October it won't matter.  The disease will be so prevalent, active cases and recoveries, that cruising related incidents will be the equivalent of a clerical error at one testing facility.