Would you use a TA for a 3 or 4 day cruise?

Britt1975

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

TICO would apply if rcl for instance or my TA went bankrupt and would cover me for the money I have deposited with rcl. Yes I dont have other insurance to claim with. My TA has been over TICO with me at least 3 times when people were saying the cruise lines might go bankrupt.

He assures me my money is safe and because of where he lives, his agency address is the address of where my cruise is booked so I'm covered. Maybe google TICO.

https://goingawesomeplaces.com/why-you-should-care-about-tico-when-you-travel/#:~:text=With TICO%2C there's something called,that you did not receive.

20210329_184822433.jpeg

This is the Ontario equivalent of our Travel Assurance Fund in BC. Since it is not Canada wide and only available in Ontario, it isn't something we have used.

If similar to BC, in addition to claiming first from Travel Insurance, we also have to claim from any protection from Visa, etc. That may also apply in Ontario, as the wording you posted is identical to the BC Plan.

• 1 month later...

You are always better off booking with a travel agent no matter how days the cruise is. A good agent will have much better rates than the cruise line, they may have special group rates. 

Additionally a good agent will be able to get you some decent on board credit and eventually snag you some decent perks like complementary specialty restaurant and or spa vouchers. 

Also, if you keep your eye on any pricing drops a good agent will always lower your rate whereas the cruise line is not so keen on doing this. 

Ask your friends who they use, do a Google search for the best cruise ship travel agencies online an speak to a few agents until you find someone you like. 

Good Luck and happy cruising. 

Jonathan

• Like 1

16 hours ago, cruiserking said:

You are always better off booking with a travel agent no matter how days the cruise is. A good agent will have much better rates than the cruise line, they may have special group rates. 

Your entire post is full of excellent advice!  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

You do not need a travel agent and, in fact, unless I have to use one, I won't because it places control of the booking in the hands of the travel agent who may or may not be at work on the day the cruise line has a flash sale where you could upgrade to a suite for very little money and if the booking is with a travel agent you can't do the upgrade without them.

No one has brought this up here, but I'm going to.  The 3 - 4 day cruises are usually on the oldest ships in the fleet with the least amenities and the ship may well be in serious need of redecoration.  The differences among ships in the same cruise line can be like a Motel 6 compared to a luxury hotel.  Be certain to check the reviews of the ship you plan to go on here BEFORE you book.

If you want to have a fantastic cruise vacation my suggestion is that you choose a ship that is fairly new (within 10 years old at most.) and go on, at minimum, a 7 day cruise.  Make sure you purchase and take Bonine (aka Meclazine) BEFORE the ship departs the dock so you don't get seasick.   There are 7 day cruises that only have 1 or 2 sea days, which means you will be on land going on tours most days.  Tell your husband to think of the cruise ship as a traveling all-inclusive resort.  Would he rather stay at Motel 6 or a much fancier resort that has lots of fun things to do onboard and many different restaurants to eat at?  If you are choosing a Caribbean cruise, be sure to choose the cruise based on the places it will visit and figure out what you want to do there.  If you can afford it, get a balcony cabin.  

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, fyree39 said:

I would suggest once you're on board, strike up conversations with other cruisers to see how they booked. That's how I started using an agent and I'm glad I have that experience.

Your post is an excellent one!  While I have always used a travel agent when booking a cruise, your recommendation to talk with others how they booked and with what agency is how I have learned about the agencies that I now use.  

For my first ever cruise I went with an agency.  The cruise was a promotional thing through the radio station I listened to at the time and was "hosted" by one of the DJs.  He'd come on and say "Join me as I cruise to Mexico, blah, blah, blah. Call so and so at this number for more info."

I haven't used one since.  I have never felt the need.  I have changed cabins, re-fared cabins to a better price with better perks, cancelled cruises and gotten either refunds or extensions for FCCs I had.  Usually the only thing you need is the patience to sit on hold when you call.  But, then again I've never had any real problems so maybe if I did I would think differently.  

Having said that, for a first cruise I think it's probably a good idea to have a go-between to help with all the things you are unfamiliar with.  Who knows, you may find that they don't do anything you can't do on your own.  Or.....you can't do it without them.  Neither way is wrong IMHO.

32 minutes ago, Blondilu said:

For my first ever cruise I went with an agency.  The cruise was a promotional thing through the radio station I listened to at the time and was "hosted" by one of the DJs.  He'd come on and say "Join me as I cruise to Mexico, blah, blah, blah. Call so and so at this number for more info."

I haven't used one since.  I have never felt the need.  I have changed cabins, re-fared cabins to a better price with better perks, cancelled cruises and gotten either refunds or extensions for FCCs I had.  Usually the only thing you need is the patience to sit on hold when you call.  But, then again I've never had any real problems so maybe if I did I would think differently.  

Having said that, for a first cruise I think it's probably a good idea to have a go-between to help with all the things you are unfamiliar with.  Who knows, you may find that they don't do anything you can't do on your own.  Or.....you can't do it without them.  Neither way is wrong IMHO.

Perhaps for a discount 3-4 day boat ride out of Swamplandia, anyone with ANY knowledge of travel challenges and solutions would be just fine with DIY cruise booking.

But, for long, “expensive” (5 figures?) cruises, why would anyone not want to benefit from TA commission sharing (e.g., 5-10% of the commissionable fare) AND having an advocate who books $ millions with your cruise line (and who has the regional sales rep on speed dial) while you (as a DIY booking) are only a rounding error in the cruise line’s daily “bottom line” who waits “on hold” with a “luck of the draw” functionary. (I always chuckle when someone posts “I want to own my booking.”)

NB: Not all cruise line phone reps are created equal. Some long-term knowledgeable ones are very helpful/useful. But, there’s no “commission sharing” with them. That said, using cruise line reps in certain situations (like “book onboard” for discount/perks) makes sense as long as you then transfer to a TA for their added perks/$$$. 

• Like 1

I admit I have zero understanding of how TAs work and therefore know nothing at all about their commissions or the perks they offer.  I used one for my first cruise and used a couple before that for 2 or 3 land trips.  I have no complaints but cannot honestly say I got any benefit at all besides my tickets.

The longest cruise I've taken to-date is 12 days.  Thinking ahead I have given thought to longer cruises, maybe even a world cruise.  I am not 100% locked into doing it myself, so in that case a TA might make more sense.  On the other hand, as stated phones reps are not all equal and I am pretty sure that TAs (being just people) are not all equal either.  Both are basically sales persons.  And like all salespeople, if they do their job right you will never know you are just a number and a commission or paycheck to them.  

So far I have been happy with my bookings and satisfied with the costs and perks of my cruises.  Not sure why it matters to anyone else whether or not I could have gotten it for less if I done it this way or that way.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Blondilu said:

I admit I have zero understanding of how TAs work and therefore know nothing at all about their commissions or the perks they offer.  I used one for my first cruise and used a couple before that for 2 or 3 land trips.  I have no complaints but cannot honestly say I got any benefit at all besides my tickets.

...Not sure why it matters to anyone else whether or not I could have gotten it for less if I done it this way or that way.  

What are your personal choices are of zero interest to me. Rather....

Some posters, including me, often offer comments intended to educate folks (particularly cruise newbies) about issues new to them, complicated, subject to much misinformation, etc. I am sure you’ll agree that many CC users have never thought of asking a TA “What can you add to the deal?”

5 hours ago, Blondilu said:

It's freedom of choice.  And, of course, neither way is wrong.  Until a cruiser learns that their choice could have been better.

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Some posters, including me, often offer comments intended to educate folks (particularly cruise newbies) about issues new to them, complicated, subject to much misinformation, etc.

I am among the CC posters that Flatbush Flyer mentions.  I enjoy sharing what I have learned over 52+ years of traveling.  I fell into pitfalls;  I completed trips where everything went just as was expected;  I learned from these experiences.  If I can, I want to try to help others to avoid the "bumps" in the road and to enjoy a travel/cruise experience to be the best that it can possibly be.  

I have also learned a lot from my travels.  And I have learned a great deal on these boards, some of which has nothing to do with cruising.  Grateful to all who contribute.  It is an adventure and I hope to get the chance for more.  Stay calm and cruise on!

• Thanks 1