Interim guidance for restarting cruise operations

Aspidestra99

6 minutes ago, mcloaked said:

So yes percentages are low - but the numbers are big and the impact on the activities of the people across the world is huge. For those whose loved ones have died the personal impact is not sensibly measurable. Let's hope this virus really is brought under control for all our sakes.

Nothing can be said of comfort to those who have had loved ones pass away because of Covid. That of course, is a given.

Huge numbers involved, as you say but statistically,  the chance of Covid killing down healthy individuals with no underlying issues is very low and will continue to lower thanks to the growing knowledge on how to treat Covid patients. Couple that with anything put in place by the travel industry, and I'll take my chance when Cunard ships sail again.

13 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Nothing can be said of comfort to those who have had loved ones pass away because of Covid. That of course, is a given.

Huge numbers involved, as you say but statistically,  the chance of Covid killing down healthy individuals with no underlying issues is very low and will continue to lower thanks to the growing knowledge on how to treat Covid patients. Couple that with anything put in place by the travel industry, and I'll take my chance when Cunard ships sail again.

We are more than ready to sail as soon as we possibly can, but I would bet that Cunard will only set sail when the risks will be low enough to not lead to another repeat of what happened to several cruise ships at the start of the pandemic, and to the recent Hurtigruten cruise that was supposedly ready for post-covid voyages and made the news for all the wrong reasons. Yes if you are healthy, and don't have underlying comorbidity conditions known to exacerbate the severity of covid if infected, and are physically fit, and not overweight then you will be much less at risk of serious illness if you are unlucky enough to be infected. Let is hope that enough knowledge and drug/vaccine development lets the sars-cov-2 virus be controlled not just on the cruise ships but across the globe.. but it will take time.

On 7/3/2020 at 10:58 AM, Colin_Cameron said:

I've only reached page 3 but cruising already looks like a non-starter under these rules.

+1                                Why put yourself through all of this - does not sound like a holiday to me.

24 minutes ago, mcloaked said:

We are more than ready to sail as soon as we possibly can, but I would bet that Cunard will only set sail when the risks will be low enough to not lead to another repeat of what happened to several cruise ships at the start of the pandemic, and to the recent Hurtigruten cruise that was supposedly ready for post-covid voyages and made the news for all the wrong reasons. Yes if you are healthy, and don't have underlying comorbidity conditions known to exacerbate the severity of covid if infected, and are physically fit, and not overweight then you will be much less at risk of serious illness if you are unlucky enough to be infected. Let is hope that enough knowledge and drug/vaccine development lets the sars-cov-2 virus be controlled not just on the cruise ships but across the globe.. but it will take time.

I am positive Cunard ships won’t sail until the company is sure no repeat of the 2020 cruise ship Covid disasters will take place as they might as well hand the company over to the liquidators ( or whatever) if that happened and that’s why I think this year will be a write off.

I have my fingers crossed for sometime next year, but I don’t hold out much hope for the long itineraries. I will watch with interest.

24 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I am positive Cunard ships won’t sail until the company is sure no repeat of the 2020 cruise ship Covid disasters will take place as they might as well hand the company over to the liquidators ( or whatever) if that happened and that’s why I think this year will be a write off.

I have my fingers crossed for sometime next year, but I don’t hold out much hope for the long itineraries. I will watch with interest.

We are also hoping next year will see a possible restart - though of course it isn't just what Cunard do with regard to keeping the ship safe as well as its occupants, both passengers and crew, but it also depends on what any potential port of call does with regard to letting the ships in at all, and also what the town/city there has in place for keeping people safe too - and that is not really under Cunard's control.  But we live in hope!

13 minutes ago, mcloaked said:

We are also hoping next year will see a possible restart - though of course it isn't just what Cunard do with regard to keeping the ship safe as well as its occupants, both passengers and crew, but it also depends on what any potential port of call does with regard to letting the ships in at all, and also what the town/city there has in place for keeping people safe too - and that is not really under Cunard's control.  But we live in hope!

Cunard will have the logistics of the itinerary in mind before they recommence. They already point out the itineraries are subject to change so even now they are aware the reality might be different from an initial offering.

A cruise to nowhere  anyone? 😀

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

While another outbreak would cause a very bad PR situation, it would not likely break the company.  Lawsuits for injuries or death at sea have a pretty high standard to meet showing negligence on the part of the carrier.  Provided Cunard was following all protocols set forth by flag state, all port states, etc, then someone coming onboard and infecting a lot of people would not necessarily result in massive class action law suits.

1 minute ago, Victoria2 said:

Cunard will have the logistics of the itinerary in mind before they recommence. They already point out the itineraries are subject to change so even now they are aware the reality might be different from an initial offering.

A cruise to nowhere  anyone? 😀

Now, since Cunard's ships are Bermudian flag, that makes them UK ships, and they could do cruises to nowhere out of the UK, but not the US or Europe.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2020 at 4:12 PM, Roger Ackroyd said:

Having read the various new on board protocols issued by a number of cruise companies that are planning limited cruises around Europe we have come to the conclusion that cruising has now become an experience that is to be avoided. Mask wearing in supermarkets is bad enough but having to wear one throughout the ship would be unbearable. Add in the distancing at meals and all social events as well as the probability that many of the ports will refuse docking and where they do shore excursions will be severely limited and one has to say that lobbing ££££££s into a “holiday” that would be nothing more than moving from A to B in the most unpleasant way imaginable makes no sense.

We are due to take part of the world cruise in February (the start is ex Southampton in early January). Even if it does sail - unlikely in my opinion - we would not want to be part of a cruise with such restrictions. 

You’ve probably heard today that P&O cancelled their January 2021 world cruise, so I would imagine there’ll be a similar announcement from Cunard soon 

10 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

While another outbreak would cause a very bad PR situation, it would not likely break the company.  Lawsuits for injuries or death at sea have a pretty high standard to meet showing negligence on the part of the carrier.  Provided Cunard was following all protocols set forth by flag state, all port states, etc, then someone coming onboard and infecting a lot of people would not necessarily result in massive class action law suits.

Now, since Cunard's ships are Bermudian flag, that makes them UK ships, and they could do cruises to nowhere out of the UK, but not the US or Europe.

Funnily enough, law suits didn't enter my thoughts. My reasoning was on the difficulty they would face in filling their ships if they ended up in a  Diamond Princess situation.