Feedback on forward facing oceanviews on the Koningsdam

dirtgirl

Hi,

I am considering cruising in one of the larger forward facing oceanview cabins on deck 11 on the Koningsdam, which are under the Crow's Nest.  They are extra large cabins, but I am concerned about noise from the Crow's Nest above.  Do any of you who have stayed in these cabins have any advice?  I'm a little concerned about the motion as well, being all the way forward.  But the cabin size is enticing!

Thanks!

Edited by dirtgirl

Hello

Did 13 nights in 11001  last September.  No noise from Crow's Nest and experienced motion only during the first night  ( may be it was just getting used being in a cabin again) . Depending on where you will be heading ,  I liked it because early in the morning I was able to watch when the ship was entering a port , especially in the Adriatic Sea.

While I haven't stayed in one of the forward facing cabins, since the re-vamping of the Crow's Nest, there is so little activity in there at night, that you really don't have anything to worry about.  Enjoy the view!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

One thing to consider, not ship-specific, is that at night you're usually not allowed to open curtains in forward-facing cabins, because the light would interfere with navigation. There are blackout curtains that the cabin stewards draw in the evening.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dirtgirl said:

Hi,

I am considering cruising in one of the larger forward facing oceanview cabins on deck 11 on the Koningsdam, which are under the Crow's Nest.  They are extra large cabins, but I am concerned about noise from the Crow's Nest above.  Do any of you who have stayed in these cabins have any advice?  I'm a little concerned about the motion as well, being all the way forward.  But the cabin size is enticing!

Thanks!

With entertainment having been stripped from the Crow's Nest, it's pretty much a ghost town at night.  I wouldn't worry too much about noise.  Regarding motion, that would be the worst place to be if you are not into a lot of motion.  If the seas kick up, you'll certainly feel it there.  

kochleffel also made a good point.  If your lights are on at night, the curtains need to be closed to prevent compromising the bridge navigators' night vision.  

Edited by Aquahound

12 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

We likely will be assigned one of the two SC cabins (corner forward) on our cruise.  Anyone have experiences with these?

I was assigned one.  Would never take another guarantee that could potentially put me in those cabins.  The layout was awkward both on the inside and the balcony. Also had so much motion that I spent a day in bed with motion sickness. Also the wind whistled in the balcony doors several days so loudly that we could not hear anything else. But it did have great views during scenic cruising.

If none of those drawbacks bother you, then you would really enjoy the cabin.

Check out this link.  

We are booked in this suite for two weeks next spring.  We chose it for a few reasons.

We don't mind ocean motion.

We've had several aft suites, so looking forward to the change of perspective.

It was the only cabin that we were interested in available for both weeks of our self-made B2B.

2 minutes ago, janmcn said:

I"d worry about motion (tend to avoid forward cabins at all) as well as potential (depending on where you're sailing) of fog horns!

Doing a Southern Caribbean,  so unlikely fog horns.  We would rather a Neptune near the Lounge, but will happily take whatever is assigned to us  - the deal was too good to pass up.  Besides, it would be interesting to try something different (far forward cabin) as we have done the aft-wraps before.

• Like 1

We have had those SC rooms.  They are very nice and bigger than an SA. Yes, motion can certainly be an issue compared to center ship SA.  The balcony is VERY small, however.  Just enough to get out and sit....

2 hours ago, Mosaic said:

We have had those SC rooms.  They are very nice and bigger than an SA. Yes, motion can certainly be an issue compared to center ship SA.  The balcony is VERY small, however.  Just enough to get out and sit....

Thanks for the feedback.  By the way, how did you feel the cabin service was?  We have had some issues on our aft-wraps due to only having 2 Neptunes on the deck and the attendants not being up on the Neptune process (such as special mail, notices, and other perks).  

Good question.  It was not as good as the SA's.  It was the location.  If we asked for our room to be made up soon by our cabin attendants, it may have been 3 hours....lol