Key West could vote no mega ships

firefly333

I lived in Key West for many years. In fact I was there when Mallory Square was a wood pier, when Christmas Tree Island and Monkey Island where trees, not condo's.  We went back and a lot of things have changed. It does seem more crowed than when we lived there (which I know that happens). I remember the cruise ships were approved to arrive when we left. There was a lot of mixed emotions then.  Key West has always been touristy spot, but relied on locals, military and Fantasy Fest as well for income. Maybe it's nostalgic, but I miss seeing the old Key West. OH! and we didn't have iguanas when we lived there. 

1 hour ago, evandbob said:

Cruisers should recognize that they are not always seen as being supportive of the local economy and that some port residents will see them as trashy and bothersome, costing the port more than they are worth.

This overtourism effect is seen throughout the world, in Barcelona, Rome, Venice, Santorini, the Phillipines and Thailand, Cairo, even in Mexico at Mayan Ruins that have been defaced by tourist graffiti.

There's a tipping point with cruising that locals understand when it has gone too far and becomes a nuisance and worse.

Try being a land vacationer in a cruise port and you will understand the feeling - you may be saying thank goodness when the cruisers return to the ship and let you enjoy your beach, bar, restaurant (or whatever) with just the others staying in your hotel.

Well said.

2 hours ago, evandbob said:

Cruisers should recognize that they are not always seen as being supportive of the local economy and that some port residents will see them as trashy and bothersome, costing the port more than they are worth.

This overtourism effect is seen throughout the world, in Barcelona, Rome, Venice, Santorini, the Phillipines and Thailand, Cairo, even in Mexico at Mayan Ruins that have been defaced by tourist graffiti.

There's a tipping point with cruising that locals understand when it has gone too far and becomes a nuisance and worse.

Try being a land vacationer in a cruise port and you will understand the feeling - you may be saying thank goodness when the cruisers return to the ship and let you enjoy your beach, bar, restaurant (or whatever) with just the others staying in your hotel.

This is absolutely correct.  And I think it's proper that all residents have a vote, not just business owners.

I think we could add to your list of list of ports that have deep regrets about allowing large cruise ships to dock.  I personally have read about Mediterranean cities and Iceland reconsidering current arrangements.

For those intent on visiting Key West, please note:

FACE COVERINGS:

Per the City of Key West, every person over the age of six (6), while physically located within the City of Key West, and who is away from their residence, shall wear a face covering at all times, regardless of whether social distancing is also maintained. There is an exception for restaurant patrons who are seated at a table and eating or drinking. Persons who are not seated and are on the premises of a business establishment, whether indoors or outdoors, shall wear a face covering at all times. For more information, please visit: cityofkeywest-fl.gov

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1