Whale watching in Sitka?

disneyochem

Good morning.  I’m looking for some feedback for a family member.  We’re taking a multi-generational Cruise to Alaska in July 2021 (14-day Sun Princess from LA).  One person in our group is really interested in doing a whale watching/raptor center/fortress of the bear excursion in Sitka.  This is the only whale watching tour she’ll be doing on the cruise.  How is whale watching in Sitka?  I have been to Alaska numerous times and have whale watched in Juneau, Prince Rupert and Icy Strait Point but not in Sitka.

Is Sitka a good place to look for wildlife or should she look at another port?  Whale watching is important to her —as is kayaking, hiking, glacier/dog sledding and the White Pass train.  We will be visiting Sitka, ISP, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Prince Rupert.

Thank you!

Sitka is excellent for varied wildlife.   I don't consider it a place for "whale watching",  since, I've been out a few times, when no whales were seen.  🙂   But,  good chance whales will be seen.    My priority for this area-  actually is access to St.  Lazaria.   I ALWAYS charter,  since I am extremely picky.   I've gone myself,  and also have gotten Cruise Critic Roll participants,   boat is a 6 pack.

I don't give any interest in Fortress of the Bears-  since I only want "in the wild".   But, it does get good reviews.   The Raptor Center is an excellent organization-  certainly worth a visit.   

My opinion-   with a  wildlife priority (which I certainly have as well),   I take advantage of EVERY opportunity.  There are NO guarantees.  Every trip is unique.   Whale watching-  is VERY unpredictable, and a lot more waiting than watching.   🙂   (I'm heading out of Ma.  for at least 4 runs in about 10 days,   I'll also be in Alaska next month-  IF conditions allow,  and I'll be taking probably 4 trips out to Kenai Fjords, 3 runs to Eielson at Denali-  all for wildlife) 

I would be going out in Juneau,  Sitka,  and Hoonah.   Never would I consider picking one.  🙂   

• Like 1

Just to add a tidbit to BQs answer - in Sitka the water-based-wildlife big hit would be sea otters. Anyone booking only a single Whale-watching trip should choose ISP or Juneau from that list of ports - these both have 100% success rates across the board (though for most this does mean 'backs and blows' rather than bubble-netting, breaches etc. - BQ is absolutely right that you want to be out on the water in whale-heavy areas for as many hours as possible if it is a priority!)

Sure, your friend *might* see a whale off Sitka but even a full-length tour from there won't hit any of the common whale feeding grounds - and I suspect a triple-combo with raptors and bears might be skimping on the duration of the boat tour to fit everything in too... Given the wealth of options in Juneau compared to ISP, unless she wants to do a land-based bear tour there for in-the-wild viewing I'd whalewatch from ISP.

Assuming budget isn't an issue, Prince Rupert would be great for bears in the wild - the boat tours out to Khutzeymateen come as close to a guarantee as it gets, and the season runs mid-May to the end of July so should fit your cruise - and it also has comparatively little else to do; by going bear-watching here instead of Ketchikan you can do Misty Fjords flightseeing or even by boat there; whalewatch in ISP and if time, a light hike into town and along some of the woodland trails near the port; Sitka get a boat charter booked ASAP and go for the otters, and unless it's a really short port day the raptor centre would be easily added; Skagway is obviously the train - dog sledding could be combinable, but on land not a glacier, unless it's a really long port day or the short Summit-only train excursion would be good enough; leaving Juneau for glacier dogsledding and a ton of other stuff in and around town depending on timing.

Overall I'd be inclined to prep for disappointment on the glacier dogsledding - it's the most-canceled excursion because anything impacting flights impacts it as well as conditions on the glaciers themselves, even if it is perfectly safe to land a chopper on and walk about a bit does not mean a safe route for the dogsleds is available. Even early July there would have been a lot of melting already, unless it's a freakishly cold year - and in general temps are trending upward.

On 7/16/2020 at 11:42 AM, disneyochem said:

Good morning.  I’m looking for some feedback for a family member.  We’re taking a multi-generational Cruise to Alaska in July 2021 (14-day Sun Princess from LA).  One person in our group is really interested in doing a whale watching/raptor center/fortress of the bear excursion in Sitka.  This is the only whale watching tour she’ll be doing on the cruise.  How is whale watching in Sitka?  I have been to Alaska numerous times and have whale watched in Juneau, Prince Rupert and Icy Strait Point but not in Sitka.

Is Sitka a good place to look for wildlife or should she look at another port?  Whale watching is important to her —as is kayaking, hiking, glacier/dog sledding and the White Pass train.  We will be visiting Sitka, ISP, Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan and Prince Rupert.

Thank you!

I have taken this tour twice and saw both gray and humpback whales.  The gray whales feed along the coastline.  In addition, I saw Sitka deer, harbor seals, sea otters, and eagles during the boat portion of the tour.  The Raptor Center was very informative.  A handler held an eagle on his arm and warned the audience to make no noises or sudden movements as he talked about the center.  I enjoyed the Fortress of the Bears with the rescued black and brown bears who would otherwise be euthanized after losing their mothers (Alaska state law).  The Fortress does their best to recreate the bears' normal habitat while raising them for transfer to zoos. 

I would recommend this tour to get a snapshot of Alaska wildlife.

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/gallery/brown-bears/P7090185.jpg

• 1 year later...
On 7/16/2020 at 2:19 PM, Budget Queen said:

Sitka is excellent for varied wildlife.   I don't consider it a place for "whale watching",  since, I've been out a few times, when no whales were seen.  🙂   But,  good chance whales will be seen.    My priority for this area-  actually is access to St.  Lazaria.   I ALWAYS charter,  since I am extremely picky.   I've gone myself,  and also have gotten Cruise Critic Roll participants,   boat is a 6 pack.

I don't give any interest in Fortress of the Bears-  since I only want "in the wild".   But, it does get good reviews.   The Raptor Center is an excellent organization-  certainly worth a visit.   

My opinion-   with a  wildlife priority (which I certainly have as well),   I take advantage of EVERY opportunity.  There are NO guarantees.  Every trip is unique.   Whale watching-  is VERY unpredictable, and a lot more waiting than watching.   🙂   (I'm heading out of Ma.  for at least 4 runs in about 10 days,   I'll also be in Alaska next month-  IF conditions allow,  and I'll be taking probably 4 trips out to Kenai Fjords, 3 runs to Eielson at Denali-  all for wildlife) 

I would be going out in Juneau,  Sitka,  and Hoonah.   Never would I consider picking one.  🙂   

@Budget Queen, We've been following your advise since our 1st Alaska trip in 2007.  It's made all the difference in our getting to see the real Alaska.  Next month will be our 9th visit.  What do you like about St.  Lazaria.  It sounds very interesting but I haven't found much info, yet.  Is there a tour you'd recommend to get there?