Hotels in Rome

Minniepnp

1 hour ago, -Lew- said:

It was this room on the fifth floor...

image.thumb.jpeg.6b90c919574198b921a02f0e3141c55d.jpeg

IMG_2684.thumb.jpeg.190d0da20818ebe4df44c0d4e211d0c0.jpeg

We've only been to the Albergo del Senato once and it was this past fall. Our room was also on the same floor (2 balconies over to the right in your photo) and the above floor plan suggests that our two rooms were the same size. Ours was small but I didn't think it was bad and figured that it was more in line with the norm in Europe. The funny thing was the room dimensions resembled a cruise cabin (I think I measured 200 sq ft not including the small balcony).

On the other hand, the nighttime views from the balcony were magical. 

What floors were you on during your other two stays?

image.thumb.jpeg.c43ec0c44e549847d99d8ce2b013b3bb.jpeg

A view of the Pantheon from our room at the Albergo del Senato.  Oct 18, 2022

image.thumb.jpeg.b8485ccdde56c0d529faebdbe4aa9c1c.jpeg

Late in the evening you can step out from the hotel to have the piazza to yourself.

Edited by mahdnc
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, mahdnc said:

image.thumb.jpeg.b8485ccdde56c0d529faebdbe4aa9c1c.jpeg

Late in the evening you can step out from the hotel to have the piazza to yourself.

That's a view I never tire of. 😍

Most older hotels in Rome will have small rooms. One thing I've found, especially in Rome and Venice, is that a "deluxe" room may be considered to be deluxe due to its position and view, not necessarily its size. 

FWIW, the smallest hotel room I think I've ever had was in Paris, in the Marais district. A twin bed in a room so narrow I could hold out my arms and touch the walls on either side. The bathroom had the sink cunningly located above the toilet tank so that any water you used in the sink was recycled to fill the toilet. And yet I'd stay there again because of its "Parisian charme"....and location. I've had rooms in London and in the Gothic quarter of Barcelona that would give it a run for size as well.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

“We've stayed at Albergo del Senato three times over the years...in a Superior Double Room each time.  The first two times we had excellent accommodations; however, last fall our room was the smallest room we have ever had in Europe...or anywhere.  There was just enough room for our bed and open luggage had to be slid under the bed so we could walk by.  There were a couple of other issues that prompted us to look elsewhere which is how we ended booking six nights at Hotel Smeraldo is a Family Suite Town House this fall.“

Still have not received a response from Albergo del Senato. From what I remember our last room was on the small size……they all vary greatly. Their rates for next May are not yet posted so I will compare when they are. They don’t even indicate room sizes on their website.

I booked the Hotel Smeraldo……reviews are really good and rates were ok. In order to get a little larger room 19sq,m. we took a room in their ANNEX across the street. Have not read any negatives other than breakfast is served in the main building. Another plus for us is a walk in shower…..not a fan of hurdling tub/shower combos.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mahdnc said:

Ours was small but I didn't think it was bad and figured that it was more in line with the norm in Europe.

I can understand you being satisfied with your room since it was you first and only stay at the hotel and you had no prior experience in a much nicer room for the same cost.  As I mentioned, this was our third stay...the first was in the one balcony room facing the Pantheon.  Below is a photo of the room interior found on Tripadvisor.

image.png.271e3d4adfd1f56c4a1c200a6aeb5ae5.png

For our second stay our room was comparable to the one pictured above, but without the balcony.  The two photos below show a room like ours on our most recent stay...same cost as the one pictured above, but hardly the same value.

image.png.91de24574b5263eb98954c241b30423f.png

image.png.fbcfdcf246999f5d787b9d81ef05e967.png

3 hours ago, martyap said:

Still have not received a response from Albergo del Senato.

Just FYI, it has been a holiday weekend in Rome, with Republic Day on June 2. They may have been quite busy.

Have you checked your spam folder?

Nothing at all from them……I’ll try again mid week. We are way ahead of ourselves our cruise is May 2024. Just returned from London/York>Paris/Reims>Brussels/Brugge with lots and lots of trains, metro, tube, buses……..We had this cruise booked a while and figured a week in Rome + a week cruise would be less hectic. I’m sure I will connect with Albergo del Senato.

in the meantime Smeraldo gets very positive remarks………Thank you!

3 hours ago, -Lew- said:

I can understand you being satisfied with your room since it was you first and only stay at the hotel and you had no prior experience in a much nicer room for the same cost.  As I mentioned, this was our third stay...the first was in the one balcony room facing the Pantheon.  Below is a photo of the room interior found on Tripadvisor.

image.png.271e3d4adfd1f56c4a1c200a6aeb5ae5.png

For our second stay our room was comparable to the one pictured above, but without the balcony.  The two photos below show a room like ours on our most recent stay...same cost as the one pictured above, but hardly the same value.

image.png.91de24574b5263eb98954c241b30423f.png

image.png.fbcfdcf246999f5d787b9d81ef05e967.png

Thank you for the details.  Yes, of course with nothing to compare it to, my wife and I could not experience the discontent that you felt with the same room.  For your first stay, It looks like you were quite lucky to get the only other balcony room with a Pantheon view that was not on that floor (Room 204, which is the first photo in your post). 

The last two photos in your post were exactly like the room that we had--which by the way is actually located on the 6th floor.  Now that I understand from you the size variation with the Superior Doubles, I think the only way to guarantee that you will get a large room with a Pantheon view is to book one of the view suites (e.g. the Penthouse Suites also on the 6th floor, Senior Suite on the 4th floor).  Of course that is even more money.   

Still, I wouldn't hesitate to book the Superior Double again there although if we were to ever return my wife and I might be tempted to try a different location only for the sake of variety.

image.thumb.png.8cf615e558a677929ee46de4db852e75.png

image.thumb.png.d6163a2cb183b2861794216d94b0a019.png

IMG_3052.jpeg

Room 605 (Superior Double with small balcony)

Edited by mahdnc

30 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

The last two photos in your post were exactly like the room that we had--which by the way is actually located on the 6th floor.

In Italy, and Europe generally, floor numbering begins with ground floor, then first, second and so on.  The first floor in Italy equates with the second floor in the US.  The hotel's room numbering scheme further confuses their floor location.

image.thumb.png.5252971d1705d1fdddb7393b1ad155a2.png

I was lucky enough once, many years ago, to get room 608 (shown above) with its long, extended terrace along the side of the building. I was traveling with my mom and it was so special to have that terrace for relaxing as she was somewhat exhausted after a very active Med cruise. I could go off on my own exploring and leave her happily on the terrace enjoying the atmosphere for a few hours in the afternoon. We also had at least one dinner there (bread, antipasti, wine).

Like I said originally, I've stayed there many times and they know me. Probably have spent more than a month there altogether amongst various trips. Normally in a room like 203 (Deluxe single with Pantheon view).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I was lucky enough once, many years ago, to get room 608 (shown above) with its long, extended terrace along the side of the building.

Wow!  The luck of the draw certainly worked in your favor for that stay.  I didn't know that room existed.

19 minutes ago, -Lew- said:

In Italy, and Europe generally, floor numbering begins with ground floor, then first, second and so on.  The first floor in Italy equates with the second floor in the US.  The hotel's room numbering scheme further confuses their floor location.

I actually went to all 6 floors to photograph each emergency escape floor plan.  This does not count the rooftop terrace.

image.png.9392b918a569fa8145a27d00e12149d7.png

• Thanks 1

We stayed in 605 last year and it was small, but certainly not cramped.  It does seem to be the same size as 603, so I don't get the difference in size.  The view was wonderful.  The rooftop terrace was even better. This was the view from there last June 2.

AJFCJaXao-VJo_S5VFOEqJPvkMiYFgGOWrbQBoejcOjCE9KpZ5R16rl1MEC0zej1dNAA6Uakr73zbWvctU86hmZlURIy5oWYrC4EvMb8ZpVEPithyfm_efYDqgzMIQRsPvskJOx5tWYE3wKQZM0xN0h6rMMvgmyWcTSe9ew4aSLsjBvg-B2CK6GQCC_ZIupLChEmX4IQggwIscwh9pXb8J1DrTDOo3PdnQS0MEjo8uG9NUyjcX1zsdOJ0fQZWBviadoORaO9eKieY0xE9Tk657i3ry-6Req1DTiiWc77kaKKRsVnICSIDQNq36KB015BBM9k79oxpmpwWEz68d_LyilSOj-PiR2pFel4Mmf0NMgK_Ep-dP5tGUy3Gwxb6KJ_0CCSqmlr1YBuyI5sFQwp9a--tyQGGudqA3G5x7z6Wm-qxEygIblkjADJ17HpkF5B4IBalkNpVFjufjmtXv2pbG49uSvdUaVFM23vuySFFaaAI7Z0WQo9ez7TUpoXIF_KXqeE3fY5dsSEWFTX5Y4xvz5-s0PiYjQ1Fd7xUQlwC2tvRVaXpSQJfe8pu66o-tQRwB7UUssxPG-XNDzzFYG6X-QUqweREOl6cKQ9OqltIwLtweYIrb-gVSA7Y7Hc4rDazu2nfbL-Gnujn4WdkmNtPrWyXNnzWfwzAhj_wHdcfwGV4y5SIK6xONaQ02NHFu_zGuAgXCURtsQx3Fr2LCJzYSPbp7gqyzW_EPY_R_sJbdtntF_KUNO7XIxpAwzx1efkb_RdyV8yefmXuAc9dHB3zYMzu1ODjnPVa5IPEAxxAwkmMS9YxXznIIDe5Yc1C4pE-xutpCb5tU_XS8ghVBPw6IRqtIm4XocBSfm_uy-bIqTDvlT3XUucRBHVv9FVL5u3wMkdmPrNr7CZkczX7EnK5u1bPuAEYlbzbSIF3Srvahjet3MmyEOAFKKbakvD0nXUTJCf=w1217-h913-s-no?authuser=0

Edited by marazul

6 minutes ago, marazul said:

We stayed in 605 last year and it was small, but certainly not cramped.  It does seem to be the same size as 603, so I don't get the difference in size.  The view was wonderful.  The rooftop terrace was even better. This was the view from there last June 2.

AJFCJaXao-VJo_S5VFOEqJPvkMiYFgGOWrbQBoejcOjCE9KpZ5R16rl1MEC0zej1dNAA6Uakr73zbWvctU86hmZlURIy5oWYrC4EvMb8ZpVEPithyfm_efYDqgzMIQRsPvskJOx5tWYE3wKQZM0xN0h6rMMvgmyWcTSe9ew4aSLsjBvg-B2CK6GQCC_ZIupLChEmX4IQggwIscwh9pXb8J1DrTDOo3PdnQS0MEjo8uG9NUyjcX1zsdOJ0fQZWBviadoORaO9eKieY0xE9Tk657i3ry-6Req1DTiiWc77kaKKRsVnICSIDQNq36KB015BBM9k79oxpmpwWEz68d_LyilSOj-PiR2pFel4Mmf0NMgK_Ep-dP5tGUy3Gwxb6KJ_0CCSqmlr1YBuyI5sFQwp9a--tyQGGudqA3G5x7z6Wm-qxEygIblkjADJ17HpkF5B4IBalkNpVFjufjmtXv2pbG49uSvdUaVFM23vuySFFaaAI7Z0WQo9ez7TUpoXIF_KXqeE3fY5dsSEWFTX5Y4xvz5-s0PiYjQ1Fd7xUQlwC2tvRVaXpSQJfe8pu66o-tQRwB7UUssxPG-XNDzzFYG6X-QUqweREOl6cKQ9OqltIwLtweYIrb-gVSA7Y7Hc4rDazu2nfbL-Gnujn4WdkmNtPrWyXNnzWfwzAhj_wHdcfwGV4y5SIK6xONaQ02NHFu_zGuAgXCURtsQx3Fr2LCJzYSPbp7gqyzW_EPY_R_sJbdtntF_KUNO7XIxpAwzx1efkb_RdyV8yefmXuAc9dHB3zYMzu1ODjnPVa5IPEAxxAwkmMS9YxXznIIDe5Yc1C4pE-xutpCb5tU_XS8ghVBPw6IRqtIm4XocBSfm_uy-bIqTDvlT3XUucRBHVv9FVL5u3wMkdmPrNr7CZkczX7EnK5u1bPuAEYlbzbSIF3Srvahjet3MmyEOAFKKbakvD0nXUTJCf=w1217-h913-s-no?authuser=0

Very nice photo.  I think we are all in agreement that 603 and 605 are of the same size.  There is a difference of opinion on how suitable the size is compared to other Superior Doubles such as Room 204.

5 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Very nice photo.  I think we are all in agreement that 603 and 605 are of the same size.  There is a difference of opinion on how suitable the size is compared to other Superior Doubles such as Room 204.

Actually, 204 appears to be wider than 603 or 605 in the floor plan.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 9:34 AM, martyap said:

Nothing at all from them……I’ll try again mid week. We are way ahead of ourselves our cruise is May 2024. Just returned from London/York>Paris/Reims>Brussels/Brugge with lots and lots of trains, metro, tube, buses……..We had this cruise booked a while and figured a week in Rome + a week cruise would be less hectic. I’m sure I will connect with Albergo del Senato.

in the meantime Smeraldo gets very positive remarks………Thank you!

Did you hear from del Senato?  I just sent a request to them yesterday afternoon and had a reply waiting this morning. If you did not hear, I have to think something went astray....

Never heard from them and sent a bunch of emails. I made a reservation at the hotel Smeraldo, annex, 19sq.m., 7 days for €1996 w/breakfast and more important a separate shower which we prefer.

My question for Senato was the size difference between their Superior Double vs. Junior Suite AND if any Junior Suite rooms have a separate shower. Last night I noticed that our May 2024 dates opened and the Junior Suite was not even available……..so I booked the Superior Double with the shower request, same 7 days, same breakfast but €1000 higher than the Smeraldo. Don’t even know the average size of the Senato rooms. Would not mind for 2 days but we are staying a week.
Is the del Senato worth the extra€€€???? TBD

Won’t finalize hotel until I book air in about three weeks

Thanks for following up.

Edited by martyap

8 minutes ago, martyap said:

Is the Albergo worth the extra€€€???? TBD

That's up to individual choice. I've stayed at a number of hotels in Rome and keep returning to the del Senato over time. But as a solo I am in a very different situation and I realize that. Not too many hotels in Rome offer prime view "solo" rooms. Many, many times I have faced alleys, walls, fire escapes et al in single rooms (not just in Rome....). For me it is a "sweet spot" -- plus I have many favorite restaurants in the near vicinity, which is important to me as a solo female traveler at night. 

I have recommended Hotel Smeraldo to others as a good budget choice and it makes sense for longer stays. I haven't stayed there personally but have friends who've stayed several times and have been very happy with it.

(With your email issue, you might try a different email account if you have one. I found that with my old Bellsouth email address, emails from Europe didn't always make it to my inbox. With gmail, I don't seem to have that problem...)

Thanks……we basically use the room to sleep and shower. Would probably rather spend the €1000 on dinner, wine, specialty tours etc. I know we plan to do a day trip to Florence one day and possibly one other.

it was too complicated to split our time in Florence/Tuscany and Rome without renting a car which we did not want to do. For us if Senato could at least offer some assurance of a room with a separate shower rather than a tub/shower combo that requires gymnastics skills it would help deciding. I will eventually email or call.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

(With your email issue, you might try a different email account if you have one. I found that with my old Bellsouth email address, emails from Europe didn't always make it to my inbox. With gmail, I don't seem to have that problem...)

thanks again……I used another email address and heard from del Senato this morning. They placed a priority on my reservation request.

58 minutes ago, Seaworthy71 said:

Hello All 🤗Anyone stayed in the Trastevere area of Rome italy? any info about area appreciated or suggestion of an area in Rome

I've stayed there several times and recently posted about a place I've stayed before and will be staying again in November:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2756652-hotels-in-rome/?do=findComment&comment=65430021

It was the first place I stayed in Rome, more than two decades ago, and I keep going back because I like the atmosphere.  For the most part, once you get away from the main drag (Viale di Trastevere) it's pretty quiet. 

Trastevere covers a lot of ground, for a tourist the areas closest to the Tiber river are most convenient.

I personally avoid the area around John Cabot University and Ponte Sisto, I'm well beyond the years when I found drunk, loud college kids humorous.  Other folks aren't bothered by that atmosphere, to each his/her/their own.

Edited by euro cruiser

3 hours ago, Seaworthy71 said:

Hello All 🤗Anyone stayed in the Trastevere area of Rome italy? any info about area appreciated or suggestion of an area in Rome

If you're not familiar with Rome and you are staying for a few days to sightsee, I usually suggest people stay in an area that is a bit more central for easy access to the main tourist draws. That area is sort of the "bulls-eye" of the central historic area, from roughly the area near Trevi Fountain, to the Campo dei Fiori and including within it the Pantheon and Piazza Navona. If you look for hotels within that area you'd be able to walk to most places or (for the Vatican) take a short taxi ride.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Seaworthy71 said:

We recently stayed there our last night post cruise.  Lots of graffiti which kind of surprised my husband and he gave me a WTH have you gotten us into look when the driver dropped us off at air b&b but we loved the area!  Hubs and I did a little exploring then he went to nap and I ventured out on a 3 hour journey alone.  Had the time of my life walking over to the Tiber River and beyond, finding picture perfect alleys to take pics.  Our first two nights pre-cruise we stayed in Piazza Navona (walking distance to most of what we wanted to see) so it was neat to see how different the areas were.  I have to admit I am officially obsessed with Rome and my doesn’t like change husband said if he won the lottery he would move there the day he won 😁

We are only going to have a day and half in Rome before boarding our cruise. Before leaving for the cruise ship, we are going to see the Vatican, so that really only leaves us one day to see the Trevi, Colosseum, and whatever else is nearby. What hotel would you recommend? A/C is a must. It will be the end of June.

Edited - We do currently have the Smeraldo booked. Just wondering if this is the best choice for our situation

Thanks!

Edited by CruisingSince1982

Thanks to all for Your helpful insight.  I have never been to Rome so not very familiar with the city layout.   We are staying at Relais Le Clarisse, on Via Cardinale a Trastevere Merry del Val 20, Rome.  For Cruisingsince1982  You could google it, I usually look at suggestions and reviews.  I know Trastevere is a closer area to the Vatican, as Cruisemom42 mentioned.

Regards to all!