The Beginning of The End?

KennyFla

10 minutes ago, cruiser man 60 said:

this is a great article, thanks for sharing. Time to capitalize on Greece opening ports! 

On 7/29/2020 at 12:13 AM, Hlitner said:

I do not see much positive about that TUI cruise.  It is simply a German cruise only for Germans that goes to no ports.  If that is the future of cruising it has no future.   

Hank

Uh no it isnt  --- Anyone can now book if they are allowed into Germany - the list is available on the Schiiff cruises page (use edge to translate)

• Like 1

Just now, ighten said:

Uh no it isnt  --- Anyone can now book if they are allowed into Germany - the list is available on the Schiiff cruises page (use edge to translate)

This is also excellent news! Thanks for sharing. One thing I noticed about TUI is that passengers can not book b2b cruises. I wonder if that will be the same in the USA? Seaside has lots of 3 and 4 day sailings from Port Canaveral. I'd consider these  if I could combine them. Perhaps cruises will start with shorter sailings and work their way back up. So much to anticipate. 

10 hours ago, KennyFla said:

Dominica is anticipating opening its borders to foreign visitors as of Aug. 7, according to Colin Piper, CEO of Discover Dominica.

I am happy to read this news about Dominica.  Dominica is such a beautiful island, but whose infrastructure is so Third World and so many of their citizens (whom I have found to be among the friendliest in the Caribbean) are so poor.  I am happy to know that they have been able to contain Covid.  I wish them well as they re-open to the World!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

This is also excellent news! Thanks for sharing. One thing I noticed about TUI is that passengers can not book b2b cruises. I wonder if that will be the same in the USA? Seaside has lots of 3 and 4 day sailings from Port Canaveral. I'd consider these  if I could combine them. Perhaps cruises will start with shorter sailings and work their way back up. So much to anticipate. 

Not sure though  The German start up(into the blue)  cruises specifically say no back to back allowed..  There's a thread re this cruise with live posts on the Celebrity section pages..

Edited by ighten
  • Like 1

It must be a huge dilemma for those countries relying heavily on tourism from cruise ships. They see companies closing down yet they know that globally the pandemic is far from over. I think the world is holding its breath and praying that an effective vaccine comes available before the end of the year. 

• Like 1

In truth I cannot see Ponant getting inundated with cruise requests [you need to have deep pockets!] -  also folk in France are on the cusp of knowing if there is a second surge [as in Spain] or if it has been nipped in the bud. 

10 minutes ago, Oulton Jim said:

In truth I cannot see Ponant getting inundated with cruise requests [you need to have deep pockets!] -  also folk in France are on the cusp of knowing if there is a second surge [as in Spain] or if it has been nipped in the bud. 

Gotta start somewhere, @Oulton Jim. In all likelihood it'll be the smaller and potentially more expensive lines starting back first. Also, I imagine that Ponant and TUI will be doing port-less cruises at first until the ports allow cruise ships to dock again. But as for me, ANY ships going anywhere is preferable to the current status quo.

Respect to those who have a desire to ship out of port for 4/5 days and then return with no other point of visit in between. I am sure it will be fine with quite a number, as for myself I will wait until we get to make landfall in as many ports of call as is practical. Hopefully not too far into 2021. 

25 minutes ago, Oulton Jim said:

Respect to those who have a desire to ship out of port for 4/5 days and then return with no other point of visit in between. I am sure it will be fine with quite a number, as for myself I will wait until we get to make landfall in as many ports of call as is practical. Hopefully not too far into 2021. 

The cruises have 4 port calls and 2 sea days - sounds perfect to me.

• Like 1

Well that is good!  Sounds OK to me too. 

Nb France reports just short of 1350 new cases. I do hope they get on top of it quickly- so also do I wish this for Spain -the rest of the world and not forgetting the UK! 

While some want to put a positive spin on the restart by TUI the reality is that since the cruises are so short in duration it is not a great test for the spread of COVID.  But we do have an interesting development on another European start up with not such a happy ending.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/covid-outbreak-hurtigruten-norway/

So lets clear the air.  The incubation period (from exposure to symptoms) for COVID ranges from as little as 2 days to about 14 days.  If a 3-4 day cruise has a COVID person aboard who is spreading the virus it is likely that nobody would be the wiser until after the cruise.   Even TUI had an issue in the past couple of weeks where several crew members on the Mein Schiff 1 tested positive for the virus (which delayed a July cruise).  There have been some reports that TUI did not go out of their way to publicize COVID on Mein Schiff 1 and, instead, called it a staffing issue.   Is it safe to resume cruising?  I have no clue...and I suspect neither does TUI.

Hank

19 hours ago, Hlitner said:

There have been some reports that TUI did not go out of their way to publicize COVID on Mein Schiff 1 and, instead, called it a staffing issue.   Is it safe to resume cruising?  I have no clue...and I suspect neither does TUI.

I believe you are correct, sir!  Going on a cruise currently would be a crap shoot.

I hate to keep updating this thread with more bad news, but now it looks like you can add Costa to the list of cruise lines that have crew testing positive. I know we are just learning, but this continued news of covid aboard ships (even with current precautions) is getting depressing. You may need to translate:  

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2020/08/articles/disease/three-costa-crew-members-test-positive-for-covid-19-raising-number-of-infected-crew-members-in-europe-to-54/

"Three Costa Cruise seafarers tested positive for COVID-19, according to the Italian press today. In the last two weeks, over four dozen other crew members employed by AIDA, TUI and Hurtigruten have tested positive."

Update on the Ponant owned cruise line Paul Gauguin. Hopefully most of the passengers will have balcony cabins since the ship was sailing at low capacity. I believe this was first of the line to sail with international passengers. 

"Passengers aboard Paul Gauguin have been told to stay in their cabins after a case of COVID-19 was detected Saturday evening by the ship's doctor"

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/covid-19-case-paul-gauguin-french-polynesia

I still maintain that once the virus is under control, the image of being quarantined to a cabin is going to be a large hurdle for the industry to overcome.  

To put a positive spin on the news, we are still in the 'beginning to the end' because in all likelihood mistakes were going to be made initially. This is all part of the learning curve. 

On 8/2/2020 at 6:12 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

To put a positive spin on the news, we are still in the 'beginning to the end' because in all likelihood mistakes were going to be made initially. This is all part of the learning curve. 

What's the old cliche?  "Try and try again?"  The downside of that cliche is that some may loose their lives just because they took a cruise.  Or, worked on a cruise ship.  

11 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

What's the old cliche?  "Try and try again?"  The downside of that cliche is that some may loose their lives just because they took a cruise.  Or, worked on a cruise ship.  

This is pretty dishonest.  You can get infected anywhere.  One thing we are learning in Florida, a pretty good percent of the population already has it.

If you are in an at risk group, more precautions should be taken.  Maybe those over 70 should hold off cruising for a while.

Edited by KennyFla
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, KennyFla said:

This is pretty dishonest.  You can get infected anywhere.  One thing we are learning in Florida, a pretty good percent of the population already has it.

If you are in an at risk group, more precautions should be taken.  Maybe those over 70 should hold off cruising for a while.

Yes, absolutely you can. I agree that people in higher risk groups should consider holding off on cruising for now. The other side of that coin is that it's often those over 70 who do the most cruising. What to do? 🤷‍♂️

As of today, Florida is starting to replace the drive up testing with the rapid test, results in 15 minutes.  I don't know if the accuracy of these has improved, but this would be a viable option.  Have a embarkation time and get a rapid test last thing before you walk on the ship.

Something would have to be worked out for ports.

1 hour ago, KennyFla said:

As of today, Florida is starting to replace the drive up testing with the rapid test, results in 15 minutes.  I don't know if the accuracy of these has improved, but this would be a viable option.  Have a embarkation time and get a rapid test last thing before you walk on the ship.

Something would have to be worked out for ports.

Testing is included as part of protocols , it's on the update on MSC cruises. Com website. Also any high risk countries will have to show proof of clear Covid test within 72 hours of embarkation.

5 minutes ago, cruiser man 60 said:

Also any high risk countries will have to show proof of clear Covid test within 72 hours of embarkation.

You could go to a nightclub the night before you get on the ship.  Testing, in my opinion is worthless unless you control the environment the person is in from that moment on.