Free at sea gratuities

bearette

Look a real cruise question!

I've looked up a few cruises and every time it shows gratuities for the third and fourth in a room. As 3rd/4th don't get drinks and dinning, I'm wondering why this is so? In the past it only charged gratuities for the first two. Can anyone enlighten me?

For drinks...

Premium Beverage Package (Open Bar)
Premium Beverage Package is applicable to all qualified sailings excluding Pride of America.
Applicable to guests 1-8 on the reservation. If 3-8 guest is under 21 years of age, Premium Beverage package does not apply and soda package will not be given as a substitution.
Guest 1-2 must be at least 21 years of age at time of sailing to qualify for the Premium Beverage Package. Guests under 21 will receive the soda package.
Eligible guests are entitled to two beverages per person per transaction.

Guest is responsible for 20% gratuities on the retail value of the Premium Beverage Package ($19.80 USD per person per day) and/or Soda Package ($1.59 USD per person per day) prior to cruise.
Retail value of Premium Beverage Package is $99.00 USD per person per day. Package price is subject to change.
Retail value of the Adult Soda Package is $7.95 USD per person per day. Package price is subject to change.

For meals...

Applicable to guests 1-2 on the reservation.
Dining package is applicable to guest ages 2 and older.
Package prices are subject to change.
Guest is responsible for 20% gratuities on the retail value of the Specialty Dining Package prior to cruise.

That's what I figured, but since my kids are not allowed to drink soda it loses the value now.  That is good for adult 3/4 passengers, as I am sure they had issues with people sharing. 

Would I be right in assuming that I cannot opt them out of the package?

Edited by bearette

47 minutes ago, bearette said:

That's what I figured, but since my kids are not allowed to drink soda it loses the value now. 

The children don't get the soda package unless they are guest 1 or 2. If you are being charged for them and they are under 21, the charge should disappear once their age is entered.

"If 3-8 guest is under 21 years of age, Premium Beverage package does not apply and soda package will not be given as a substitution."

47 minutes ago, bearette said:

Would I be right in assuming that I cannot opt them out of the package?

See above.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Two Wheels Only said:

That how it's supposed to work. The website can be a bit...uncooperative at times. 

If the charge doesn't drop off for the minors, you might have to call. 

It works just like you said.  We have a booking with 25 yr and 20 yr olds.  As soon as we put in the DOB in the bookings, the 20yr olds gratuities disappeared. 

• Like 1

Just asking on NCL is there a 15 Drink per day limit? Does coffee and soda count as part of the 15? What happens if you go over? Depending on your condition at the time I’m sure has something to do with wether they cut you off or not? quality of the drinks? Good pours?

thanks for any input.

42 minutes ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

Just asking on NCL is there a 15 Drink per day limit?

No limit.

42 minutes ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

Does coffee and soda count as part of the 15?

Coffee is included in the fare but specialty coffee is not. Specialty coffee isn't included in the PBP.

Soda is included with the PBP and there is no limit.

48 minutes ago, cheeseheads4ever said:

What happens if you go over?

The bartenders will cut you off if you have obviously had too much. If you order a drink over the $15 limit, you pay the difference plus 20% on that difference. 

2 hours ago, Curtzilla said:

Other than some wines, what types of drinks are over the 15 dollar limit?

There's some good info HERE

You can click on the links for the PBP and PPBP menus. The article is intended for people thinking of buying a package. If taking the promo, you can upgrade to the higher package by paying the difference ($29pppd + 20%) but all over 21 in the stateroom would also have to upgrade (or purchase) to the PPBP.