P&O November cruises not available

normansbay

12 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:
6 hours ago, wowzz said:

But what do you do with 3000 pax in the Caribbean if you get a case of CV19 onboard? Having to quarantine the entire ship and then flying everyone home would be a nightmare . 

The entire Caribbean season seems high risk to me.

You seem to have split your half full glass again wowzz, you're beginning to sound like Mercury and KTS's love child.😆

I know I am Mr Doom!

To cheer me up, perhaps someone will tell me how P&O will deal with a CV19 outbreak in the Caribbean?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

I know I am Mr Doom!

To cheer me up, perhaps someone will tell me how P&O will deal with a CV19 outbreak in the Caribbean?

I will cheer you up, P&O know how they will have to deal with a COVID-19 outbreak in the Caribbean. They won't tell us though because we won't go on the cruise if we knew 😈

What the should NOT do is if the situation arises resort to obfuscation.

Other cruise companies have the same problem

3 minutes ago, davecttr said:

I will cheer you up, P&O know how they will have to deal with a COVID-19 outbreak in the Caribbean. They won't tell us though because we won't go on the cruise if we knew 😈

What did cheer me up was your use of the word "obfuscation"! 

A sadly underused word these days.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

I know I am Mr Doom!

Quarantine  everyone in their own private villa on a secluded tropical island. Complete with personal chef, butler,  housekeeper and medical team. Not forgetting the large private infinity pool.🌴😉

Avril 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, davecttr said:

Oh what great use of the word “obfuscation”. I too had to look up the exact meaning and found it to be the perfect description for these times and ambiguous language used.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

I know I am Mr Doom!

With great difficultly I should think.

I’ve just been looking at entry requirements for various islands, and all the ones I’ve looked at require a negative COVID19 test, 72 hours before arrival. P&O would need mass testing facilities on board to cope with that.

Then there’s the admin. Most islands are asking for digital landing cards with health info. The ship’s internet facilities would grind to a halt under the strain.

I’m going out on a limb here, and predicting that P&O’s Caribbean season is not going to happen. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I’ve just been looking at entry requirements for various islands, and all the ones I’ve looked at require a negative COVID19 test, 72 hours before arrival. P&O would need mass testing facilities on board to cope with that.

Then there’s the admin. Most islands are asking for digital landing cards with health info. The ship’s internet facilities would grind to a halt under the strain.

I’m going out on a limb here, and predicting that P&O’s Caribbean season is not going to happen. 

You can be Mrs Doom if you like!

1 hour ago, Dermotsgirl said:

I can't see how it can happen but P& O won't say that while a few thousand optimists are each paying several thousand pounds in balances, amounting to a loan of a lot of millions to keep P&O going.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Sadly I agree, unless the situation improves dramatically before October. I am due to sail on Azura in January and in my own mind I have cut the chances of it going ahead from evens to one in three. And as I have paid only £50 deposit I am not inclined to pay the balance due early October unless I know for certain that she is to sail for Barbados on the 16th

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

Sadly I agree, unless the situation improves dramatically before October. I am due to sail on Azura in January and in my own mind I have cut the chances of it going ahead from evens to one in three. And as I have paid only £50 deposit I am not inclined to pay the balance due early October unless I know for certain that she is to sail for Barbados on the 16th

Our situation exactly, we are booked on Azura in Feb and hoping she sails on Oct 16th but cannot see it happening now. So will leave it until payment day to see if P&O cancel and if not we will and probably just lose the low deposit.

4 hours ago, bee-ess said:

Our situation exactly, we are booked on Azura in Feb and hoping she sails on Oct 16th but cannot see it happening now. So will leave it until payment day to see if P&O cancel and if not we will and probably just lose the low deposit.

I do understand why people are choosing to forfeit their deposits in the current climate.  My concern is for those who were stung with 15pc deposits, where the sum on the table so to speak is higher.  It becomes a difficult choice to feel that they have to pay thousands more (as some would say more in hope than expectation), to avoid losing hundreds, and that applies to many customers with October and early November bookings.

From my own take, I'm leaning towards paying my Christmas cruise in late September if needs be, mainly because I am so fed up with P&O that I refuse to countenance letting them achieve any financial gain from their poor communication, customer service and general incompetence, howsoever modest. 

I might change my mind, but not on another FCC - where to be honest they could give me 225%, free internet, and premium drinks and they could still do one 😉

I know that it has been said that P&O will be very reluctant to cancel these cruises in particular, let's see.  Makes me think though that I will be asked to pay up before any firm inclination is given one way or the other (by P&O that is, not common sense).

I must admit I’m getting cross with P&O (Carnival) with their stance on not changing the balance due dates to a shorter period before sailing date, coupled with not announcing the next batch of cancellations in a timely way.

It’s leading to this weird situation where people feel they have to pay their balance on cruises their know won’t proceed, in order to get a full refund, probably months later.  

My next cruise is on Iona in March. It’s a relatively low priced cruise and I only paid 5% deposit, a total sum of £146. If necessary, I’m willing to lose that deposit. In my mind it’s less stressful to lose that relatively small amount, than wait a long time to get a larger amount back.

My cruise after that is on Queen Victoria in October 2021. It’s a more expensive cruise for a special occasion, and we paid a 15% deposit. I don’t know how I’d feel about writing off the amount of that larger deposit.  I hope I never have to make that decision. I don’t think they can just keep piecemeal cancelling a few weeks cruises at a time. By next summer when my balance payment is due, I think there’ll have to be some sort of clarity. 

However, currently it’s not good that passengers are being forced to make these sorts of decisions 

Edited by Dermotsgirl
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Dermotsgirl said:

Please understand, cruise passengers don’t follow standard immigration procedures - it’s already dealt with en mass.

P&O are actively talking to their destination ports and authorities. I believe that bubbles are expected to be important here and some destinations may restrict visitors to cruise ship only tours.

This is so rapidly changing. With the ability to process tests en mass in 90 minutes, it’s not beyond the possibility of a test just before airport check in and then only allowed to fly if negative. Second test carried out at ship embarkation before sailing. Processed on board. Am expecting on board medical team to increase 3-4 fold. Think 200+ cabins set aside for isolation.

Before anyone queries cost, even with extra cost, it’s more profitable than not sailing.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Please understand, cruise passengers don’t follow standard immigration procedures - it’s already dealt with en mass.

P&O are actively talking to their destination ports and authorities. I believe that bubbles are expected to be important here and some destinations may restrict visitors to cruise ship only tours.

This is so rapidly changing. With the ability to process tests en mass in 90 minutes, it’s not beyond the possibility of a test just before airport check in and then only allowed to fly if negative. Second test carried out at ship embarkation before sailing. Processed on board. Am expecting on board medical team to increase 3-4 fold. Think 200+ cabins set aside for isolation.

Before anyone queries cost, even with extra cost, it’s more profitable than not sailing.

It might have been en masse before COVID19, but as you say everything is rapidly changing. We can’t be sure what the requirements will be and they could change at any time, depending on the progress of the pandemic. 

I have to say, what you describe sounds more like an ordeal than a holiday. I’ve loved cruising, but I couldn’t entertain getting on a ship if it meant constant testing, worrying about the result of the tests and whether I was going to be put in the isolation unit. Not to mention the idea of bubbles and only going ashore if I was part of a tour.

i think I have done my last cruise for several years 😔

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

So, if someone at embarkation tests positive, I assume that everyone on the flight will also be denied boarding?

What do P&O then do with those 300 odd pax?

I also don't understand why you only quarantine 400 people in 200 cabins. Surely you quarantine the whole ship?

As to profitability- shutting down an entire cruise ship will destroy P&O,  and Carnival.

• Like 1