Aruba or Curacao

terri-eddie

My husband and I are booked for next March [hopefully we won't get cancelled again!] and I'm trying to decide on one beach day, because we're not big beach fans. I need a beach where the access into the water is level sloped....meaning, no gully underwater about six feet from the beach. I have balance issues, and I have fallen into the water before when I didn't realize there was a gully, I assume caused by wave action. 

Can anyone suggest the best beach for this, between Aruba and Curacao? Those are the two ports of call where we haven't already made other plans. 

3 hours ago, terri-eddie said:

My husband and I are booked for next March [hopefully we won't get cancelled again!] and I'm trying to decide on one beach day, because we're not big beach fans. I need a beach where the access into the water is level sloped....meaning, no gully underwater about six feet from the beach. I have balance issues, and I have fallen into the water before when I didn't realize there was a gully, I assume caused by wave action. 

Can anyone suggest the best beach for this, between Aruba and Curacao? Those are the two ports of call where we haven't already made other plans. 

Aruba-Eagle Beach beautiful white sand beach no drop offs level playing field all the way out.

Best beach on Curacao is at the Santa Barbara Beach and Golf Resort, day pass on Resorts for a Day $125 a pop, best ticket in the Southern Caribbean hands down. 

Hope that helps and have a wonderful vacation. Todd

On 7/31/2020 at 8:31 PM, TTEllis said:

Best beach on Curacao is at the Santa Barbara Beach and Golf Resort, day pass on Resorts for a Day $125 a pop, best ticket in the Southern Caribbean hands down. 

They have suspended operations for a minimum 12 months according to their website

2 hours ago, EatonDoolittle said:

That's a beautiful resort, but I was underwhelmed with the man made beach there. 

IF OP wants a man made Disney beach with no drop off in Curacao, then there is Mambo / Sea Aquarium beach, where the "what's the closest beach?" cruise crowd goes. 

The Santa Barbara is great, love the man made beach and man made boardwalk, snorkeling is great BIG fish crystal clear water. 

No cruise crowd at the Santa Barbara that was kinda the idea, best beach bar in the southern Caribbean and I've done them all . Our group we got crushed, best bloody Mary's anywhere on any island. Trying to get back to this resort between Thanksgiving and Christmas 2021, hoping things get back going again by then. 

If ships are sailing and The Santa Barbara is open I'll be at the resort Dec. 2021. Can't wait to go back. Todd

On 8/3/2020 at 4:52 PM, EatonDoolittle said:

That's a beautiful resort, but I was underwhelmed with the man made beach there. 

IF OP wants a man made Disney beach with no drop off in Curacao, then there is Mambo / Sea Aquarium beach, where the "what's the closest beach?" cruise crowd goes. 

The last time we were at Mambo Beach, we found there to be a noticeable dropoff. I would go with Aruba, Eagle Beach.

Actually, many areas on Eagle Beach often have drop offs that aren't noticeable from the shoreline. They are the types that happen once you are in the water, and come up unexpectedly. I'm in Aruba 2 - 3 weeks every year, and this happens quite often. The sand levels fluctuate with the tides. I think that you will probably experience less drop off along Palm Beach, where the tide is consistently much calmer. Here's hoping that we will all make it to Aruba next year. After being covid free for many weeks, they opened their borders to tourists in July. Even with lots of restrictions, they now have 245 covid cases.

Edited by Hatteras51

On 8/3/2020 at 6:32 PM, TTEllis said:

The Santa Barbara is great, love the man made beach and man made boardwalk, snorkeling is great BIG fish crystal clear water. 

No cruise crowd at the Santa Barbara that was kinda the idea, best beach bar in the southern Caribbean and I've done them all . Our group we got crushed, best bloody Mary's anywhere on any island. Trying to get back to this resort between Thanksgiving and Christmas 2021, hoping things get back going again by then. 

If ships are sailing and The Santa Barbara is open I'll be at the resort Dec. 2021. Can't wait to go back. Todd

Santa Barbara Beach Resort is closed...

NOTIFICATION OF CLOSURE
JUNE 1, 2020

It is with great sadness that we announce  that Santa Barbara Beach & Golf Resort has made the exceptionally difficult  decision to suspend operations until further notice.  At this time the resort is expected to be closed for a minimum of 12 months. During this time period, the Old Quarry Golf Course, Boca 19 and Barbara Beach will remain open to the public.

While this news is deeply saddening to all of us, we are incredibly thankful for the extraordinary support over the last 10 years from our amazing staff, loyal guests, partners, and local community.

For guests who were planning to stay with us in the future, we will automatically cancel reservations. Guests who booked via online travel agents (Expedia, Travelocity, Booking.com, for example) or other third-party travel professionals are advised to contact their booking provider for information on their policies.

If you have questions about the resort closure or an existing reservation, please email reservations@sbrcuracao.com.

We appreciate the overwhelming support from guests like you who we have been fortunate enough to welcome to our slice of paradise. Over the last decade we have collected a lifetime worth of memories and we look forward to seeing you on the island again soon.

Yours sincerely,

Rob de Bekker
General Manager

It's very sad, I'm just glad I made the decision to go to the Santa Barbara when I did. I met Rob at the resort we all did the day we were there. Top shelf staff and resort from start to finish. Actually until the Santa Barbara opens back up I won't be returning to Curacao, in the event it's closure is permanent my visits to Curacao are over. Thanks for the info. Todd

Just booked 20 days on the Enchanted Princess Nov 30th of next year it stops at Willemsted on Dec.7th, I'll be back. 😎 

I certainly hope the resort is back in operation by then🤬😳🤬🙄😉

Who knows?😕

As I recall, Baby Beach in Aruba is pretty shallow for several feet out.  I don't remember a sudden drop off but you could check this out perhaps.  I think this is a popular beach for kids, it is a bit protected, so it may be suitable. 

1 hour ago, cleobella said:

As I recall, Baby Beach in Aruba is pretty shallow for several feet out.  I don't remember a sudden drop off but you could check this out perhaps.  I think this is a popular beach for kids, it is a bit protected, so it may be suitable. 

Baby Beach watch that first step it's a Lu Lu!! 🥴