How are you all?

AndyMichelle

On 8/7/2020 at 3:49 PM, DamianG said:

We did make a big decision this week in allowing Kyle to go away for 2 nights glamping with our friend’s family including my Goddaughter and her sister who are almost like surrogate cousins to him...

Kyle is now back home with a burnt lip (hot marshmallow from the camp fire), a laceration on his foot (got caught up in a vine), scratches and bruises on his legs and a tale of being sick on the first night. However, he's played in the woods, paddled in the stream, climbed a mini waterfall, had water pistol fights etc. and can't wait for the next time. We've been told that the kids entertained themselves so the grown ups were able to relax too. 

Best of all he's had a complete break from the iPad, Nintendo Switch etc. and played with kids of similar ages. We're relieved it's gone so well and grateful to our friends for taking him with them.

I've already been out and got him a KFC to celebrate his safe return home.

• Like 10

24 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

No, it's not worth skimping but I have seen people caught out with a couple of coffees and cake for about 30 odd quid. 

Then again, we paid 16 Euros for 2 coffees in the square in Brugge, not realising they had a seating fee... 

Andy 

I'm pretty sure these 2 pints cost me NKR180 in the port area in Molde back in 2009!!!

Still, it was a Sunday, not much was open and we'd not spent anything else having been on a lovely walk.

Norway & The North Cape 2009 063.jpg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Kyle is now back home with a burnt lip (hot marshmallow from the camp fire), a laceration on his foot (got caught up in a vine), scratches and bruises on his legs and a tale of being sick on the first night. However, he's played in the woods, paddled in the stream, climbed a mini waterfall, had water pistol fights etc. and can't wait for the next time. We've been told that the kids entertained themselves so the grown ups were able to relax too. 

Best of all he's had a complete break from the iPad, Nintendo Switch etc. and played with kids of similar ages. We're relieved it's gone so well and grateful to our friends for taking him with them.

That's fantastic. Kids can have a good time anywhere.

Own up now. You've missed him like crazy, haven't you?

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Having just read through the posts here, it's very sad to hear of so many illnesses and losses - yours, Bloodaxe, in particular.  I can't even begin to imagine what the death of a child must be like.  I'm so sorry.

With that very much in mind, now's not the time to be whittling on about what are by comparison minor issues here.  Life goes on, it's different, you can't go out, food comes to the door though, and I pine for the days when we could shop at Aldi!  Or buy fish and chips!

Things will improve, we'll all adjust, and the bounce-back, when it comes, will be HUGE!!!  🌞

19 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Well said, Harry. Can you imagine what this would have been like pre-internet? Which for most of us would have been only about 20 years ago.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, happy v said:

That's fantastic. Kids can have a good time anywhere.

Own up now. You've missed him like crazy, haven't you?

Yes, of course we have! The main thing has been wondering what he's been up to as there was no WiFi so the messages from the grown ups have been intermittent. Since coming home he's disappeared up to his bedroom with his iPad, only putting in odd appearances for supplies, so we're back to normal very quickly!

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Cruiserjules said:

Hi Andy et Al - what a great thread.  Like others have said, though not a regular contributor, this forum has been such a lifeline, and I feel as if I know you all.

I always find it difficult on these threads because my job is such a downer to talk about.  After 15 years working in a funeral home, I am now a funeral celebrant in that I speak (used to visit ) with bereaved families, individually write and then deliver funeral services.    I will sum up the whole situation since lockdown as "hellish", and say no more.  Despite all this, I love my job and I hope that I make a difference at a sad time.

But, on the whole, we are fine thank you, and most importantly in good health. I have tried to remain upbeat, although I admit that I have been busy, irritable, extremely tired and no doubt, at times, horrible to live with...sorry Dave.  I have drunk too much, eaten too much, and exercised too little.  These few months have been quite a steep learning curve in many ways, and also a time to reflect and think what we would like to change when things get back to "normal".

We have barely seen our grandchildren as I consider myself too much of a risk, but a couple of weeks ago, we had the most fantastic news when my newest grandson, 11 months old, was given a clean bill of health after a possible brain problem, spotted when my daughter was 20 weeks pregnant,  and we couldn't resist going to see him and his older brother (4), so we carried on the journey and visited our two granddaughters (12 and 8 ) as well.  Can't describe how wonderful it was, and now we've had contact, we can't wait for them to come for sleepovers again.

This virus has taken away life's spontaneity, everything has to be planned in advance, booked etc now, which just isn't "us" , but we're slowly learning to adapt, and I'm looking forward to my big birthday in October and keeping my fingers crossed that  I will be able to spend it with family and friends.

Stay safe and well, and thank you all for keeping our collective spirits up.

Jules x

Hats off to you Jules x

No wonder you have been hitting the bottle having to take on others grief... 

Great news about the little fella, so pleased. 

So glad you and others are sharing their stories, it's therapeutic to offload to virtual strangers and feel the love coming back. 

I think you have earned that drink.. 

Andy 

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

It's heartbreaking Harry. 

My Mum and Dad lost 2 of my Brothers before they passed. 

I could see the heartbreak in their eyes, devastating. 

But what is not fair is I have to wear a mask to go in a shop... 😊

Andy 

That must have been heartbreaking for your mam and dad Andy and for you too losing 2 brothers.

Everyone in church today wore masks until we all got back outside.

• Like 3

We are starting to get used to wearing masks now when inside shops etc. My wife works in the co-op and has been asked lots of questions why some people are not wearing masks however thankfully no abuse yet and seems more and more people are now wearing masks.

Managed to cope fine with lockdown. As a serving member of the RAF for me it was like being away in Iraq or afghan with the restrictions but being able to stay with my family, good TV and internet. Was angry at the way people were selfish and behaved and some still are. 

But apart from that all is ok in our household......How long till kids go back to school......😁

• Like 6

Just now, grapau27 said:

That must have been heartbreaking for your mam and dad Andy and for you too losing 2 brothers.

Everyone in church today wore masks until we all got back outside.

It was sad, but we come from a family of fighters, so just get on with life. 

My Dad went blind when I was a little boy, my Mum fought breast cancer twice and I was taken out of lessons at 11 years old to be told my Dad would not last the day due to stomach cancer. They both lived until their late eighties.. 

Andy 

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, DamianG said:

Sounds like Kyle had fun . 50 odd years ago that would have been me but burning myself on a big spud 

roasted on our camp fire and trying to eat it within seconds of being raked out of the fire .

After chatting all night we would make our way out of the field and back to our houses ,black from the charcoal

from the spud and stinking of the bonfires smoke .

With a big smile on our faces ,expecting our parents to greet us with a bowl of cornflakes ,only to be told ...

"BATH .. NOW."   Back then I'm sure I would be sat in the bath thinking that was great ! No Adults and 

maybe thinking  " Wots a KFC ? :classic_unsure:"

Glad Kyle had a good time though .:classic_biggrin:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, FamilyCruiserUK said:

We are starting to get used to wearing masks now when inside shops etc. My wife works in the co-op and has been asked lots of questions why some people are not wearing masks however thankfully no abuse yet and seems more and more people are now wearing masks.

Managed to cope fine with lockdown. As a serving member of the RAF for me it was like being away in Iraq or afghan with the restrictions but being able to stay with my family, good TV and internet. Was angry at the way people were selfish and behaved and some still are. 

But apart from that all is ok in our household......How long till kids go back to school......😁

Thank you for sharing your story and, more importantly, thank you for helping to keep our liberty. 

Andy 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, kalos said:

Sounds like Kyle had fun . 50 odd years ago that would have been me but burning myself on a big spud 

roasted on our camp fire and trying to eat it within seconds of being raked out of the fire .

After chatting all night we would make our way out of the field and back to our houses ,black from the charcoal

from the spud and stinking of the bonfires smoke .

With a big smile on our faces ,expecting our parents to greet us with a bowl of cornflakes ,only to be told ...

"BATH .. NOW."   Back then I'm sure I would be sat in the bath thinking that was great ! No Adults and 

maybe thinking  " Wots a KFC ? :classic_unsure:"

Glad Kyle had a good time though .:classic_biggrin:

First thing we did when he got in the house? Ran a bath for him of course! 👍

Edited by DamianG
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

It was sad, but we come from a family of fighters, so just get on with life. 

My Dad went blind when I was a little boy, my Mum fought breast cancer twice and I was taken out of lessons at 11 years old to be told my Dad would not last the day due to stomach cancer. They both lived until their late eighties.. 

Andy 

You have had some tough times Andy and your family have been fighters and your mam and dad living till their late eighties was fantastic but I hope they did not suffer.

My mam died of cancer 2 months after diagnosis aged 81 and my dad gave up and died 4 months later aged 85.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

I know you like to plan, but sometimes an aimless wander around these beautiful towns and maybe a hoho bus or road train is more than enough. 

It is the most beautiful country with amazing scenery that you need to take in. 

Plan your lunches though as I'm sure you know it is very expensive. 

Andy 

no I didn’t know it was expensive. 
all I know is it’s Nok? And I have 300 euros that I can’t currently use. Least they will save. 

my itinerary is 

Stavanger, Norway Olden, Norway
Innvikfjorden (cruise- by),Norway
Nordfjord (cruise-by), Norway
Hellesylt, Norway
Geiranger, Norway
Geirangerfjord, Norway
Sunnylvsfjorden (cruise-by), Norwa
Storfjorden (cruise-by),Norway Haugesund, Norway

not sure I know which ports I’m going to or which I pass

33 minutes ago, AnnieC said:

Well said, Harry. Can you imagine what this would have been like pre-internet? Which for most of us would have been only about 20 years ago.

A while ago Mrs K and I was thinking back to the late seventies .We had a child with a heart defect but had to get to

six moths old to operate on his heart chamber . Nowday's they do the same op whilst the child is within the womb .

Medical science and operations are light years ahead these days .

We shuddered to think if covid had shown up back then . Does not bear thinking about.

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Vampiress88 said:

no I didn’t know it was expensive. 
all I know is it’s Nok? And I have 300 euros that I can’t currently use. Least they will save. 

my itinerary is 

Stavanger, Norway Olden, Norway
Innvikfjorden (cruise- by),Norway
Nordfjord (cruise-by), Norway
Hellesylt, Norway
Geiranger, Norway
Geirangerfjord, Norway
Sunnylvsfjorden (cruise-by), Norwa
Storfjorden (cruise-by),Norway Haugesund, Norway

not sure I know which ports I’m going to or which I pass

Sounds like you have 4 stops. Stavenger, Olden, Hellesylt? and Gerainger.. 

Olden is one of our favourites, but we also like Stavenger for a wander around. 

Wise to have a big breakfast then lunch when you get back.. 

Andy 

You too Andy.  It's good have a thread that is about all of us.  A lot of us have been here for quite a while.  I found myself wondering today why I still post as I can't see us cruising for a year or more.  I would love to meet you one day.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

You too Andy.  It's good have a thread that is about all of us.  A lot of us have been here for quite a while.  I found myself wondering today why I still post as I can't see us cruising for a year or more.  I would love to meet you one day.

I think we keep posting because of the good people here Jean. 

This won't last forever, so I will definitely make the effort to meet as many of you as I can when cruising commences, even if it is just for a coffee before you board. 

Andy 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I think we keep posting because of the good people here Jean. 

This won't last forever, so I will definitely make the effort to meet as many of you as I can when cruising commences, even if it is just for a coffee before you board. 

Andy 

Coffee ...... no it has to be a Pina Colada for us.

Stay safe everyone .. it is and has been a pleasure to be part of this board throughout all of this. Stay safe everyone.  X

• Like 10

34 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Because when I first joined CC the P&O forum was moribund with almost no one posting. It has now become a lovely place for me and, I'm sure, many others, during rather difficult times. And, thank goodness, the mods are leaving off-topic posts alone - once upon a time the Cunard forum was vibrant and interesting, but all the interesting posters have disappeared, so thank goodness for you lot on here.😂

• Like 8

Just now, AndyMichelle said:

We would love that. 

Andy 

Let's all make it happen... it would be so exciting ......... sorry though folks it has to be in school holiday time unless we have retired by then 😅 

• Like 2