Flåm Railway

We will be arriving in Flåm at 8am....do you think we could book the 8:50 train to do on our own? Would like to avoid the crowds of the ship if possible and would like time to do or see something else.....we depart at 3:00

thank you!

Edited by macaroni

yes, the station is quite close to the quay, but they depend on whether your ship is docked and whether there are many other ships that day.  
Remember to book tickets as the early departures will be sold out quickly.  
More i formation and booking at Visit Flåm where tickets will be available earlier (6 months) or at vy.no where tickets are available 90 days in advance. 

The train ride takes about three hours sp there will be time for other activities.

Edited by hallasm

If memory serves, the number of advance tickets sold directly from Flåm are limited, and may (will) sell out. Cruise ships claim large blocks of tickets as well. Even if it appears sold out, when the 90-day point arrives, more tickets will likely be made available through vy.no.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We visited on our own via 'Norway in a Nutshell' and had tickets in hand for the morning train after an overnight stay and GLAD we did. There were 3 ships in, one at the pier and two tendering and the line at the ticketing area of the station was insane .... as was the queue area waiting for the train ...... (altho the boarding process was a bit of a madhouse .. they do NOT oversell the train so despite a 'me first' rush ... it was easy to find seats (we even had luggage to stow, on our way to Oslo from Bergen via Flam .... )

In Flam 'proper' there isn't a whole lot more .. a couple of shops and places to eat drink .. a small museum about the railway .... the landing for the 'fast boat' rides out into the fjord 

flam map.jpg

https://www.visitflam.com/information/webcam/

IMG_1155.JPG

Edited by Capt_BJ

• 1 month later...

If the online rail tickets are sold out, still check the ticket office. We had pre-purchased mid-morning tickets and wanted to move our departure time up. The online page indicated seats were sold out (checked from our ship cabin) but several seats were apparently held back by the rail office. If you're up to it, you can rent a mountain bike at the upper station and ride down to town. The first few switchbacks may seem a bit scary and can be walked. Once down from the switchbacks, the ride is beautiful and pretty much an easy downhill ride. You can purchase sandwiches and drinks at the top rail station, where the bikes are available. We had a picnic stop on our bike ride. Bikes are returned in town.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Does it make a difference which side of the train you sit on? We're supposed to be in Flam next July and I've signed up for an excursion that includes the train ride. I'm sure it's beautiful on both sides but I just wondered if we should try to sit on a certain side.

Thanks!

Not the big difference - immediately I would say right side,  however Kjosfossen waterfall is on the left side, but the train stops so it is possible to leave the train or walk over to the other side of the train.
You can get a feel from my video:

• Like 3

• 4 months later...