Holland American pauses cruise operations through Dec. 15

kikimom

Zoinks!

Although Holland America is a smaller operator as a brand, they are still a subsidiary of Carnival Corp, and make the second brand to suspend through mid-Dec (after Princess).

It does make one wonder whether CCL is going to have to double down on their recent announcement and follow suit?

(EDIT: also note that another Carnival Corp brand, P&O, suspended through mid-Nov, announced today.)

Edited by ProgRockCruiser
spelling, add the note.

8 minutes ago, JB Books said:

We just received formal notification from HAL, which is offering two times our deposit as a FCC. While we're going to opt for a refund, what are your all thoughts about the FCC offer?

If I knew I really wanted to cruise again, and I really thought the cruise line would stay solvent, I would use the FCC, unless in dire need of the cashflow.  Although that might also depend on how big a deposit you put down: $50 pp would not be enough to sway me.  But if your deposit was half the cruise price, then heck yeah!

Only you can judge how you feel about such things.

3 hours ago, JB Books said:

We just received formal notification from HAL, which is offering two times our deposit as a FCC. While we're going to opt for a refund, what are your all thoughts about the FCC offer?

From what I've read these FCC's when applied may find the cruise fare much higher to compensate

for the bonus. Cash out and be safe.

7 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

It does make one wonder whether CCL is going to have to double down on their recent announcement and follow suit?

(EDIT: also note that another Carnival Corp brand, P&O, suspended through mid-Nov, announced today.)

At this point I think delaying the cancellation announcements are just a strategy to hold on to as much money for as long as they possibly can.  It's understandable, but annoying. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JB Books said:

For us (we were supposed to do Alaska on Koningsdam) the deposit was only $450 (ish) so the FCC was double that.  Given the economic impact COVID has had there are a lot of people for whom that $450 means a lot right now.  For us the FCC makes sense, if not for 2021 Alaska then 2022.  The 'issue' I see with it is that we have a year to book, and must take the cruise by end of 2022. If things don't restart till next spring (my guess), and we won't book until we have a sense of where things stand, that doesn't leave much time to book, or for that matter cruise.  The longer this goes, the more we wonder about whether they end up extending those timelines.