Cunard QE forward facing balconies - how windy?

max344

Looking at booking a forward facing cabin on the QE e.g. 4141, 5143, 6151, 7991 for an Alaska cruise (whenever we can start cruising again...). I know they will be windier than others when sailing at full speed so wondering if it is as windy as saying being up on the top deck or is it much more sheltered? I like the idea of the bit extra space inside and out and the nice forward view but not sure if a 4052/3 is a better option with same inside space but smaller balcony (but do they have metal front)?

Hi, I've not stayed in any of these cabins so this is just based on my experience of the ship.

I'd avoid 4141, and probably 5143 (and their portside equivalents). On deck 4 you won't be able to see ahead due to the lifeboat directly forward of your balcony.  From deck 5 you'll be looking over the lifeboat and tenders but they'll still take up a large part of the view.

The downside of a better view OUT is that it's easier to see IN. These balconies are much less private than others. The outer half of them is in clear sight of not only other balconies ahead of you on your own deck but also the decks above you, and to those leaning on the rail on the top deck. So again a higher deck might be better than a low one. (I assume you meant 7119 not 7991?)

Not sure about the wind. But remember, in the scenic areas you won't be sailing at full speed.

The cabins further forward that you mentioned do not have metal fronts. Those stop at 4041/2. On my deck plans 4053/4 appear to have slightly larger balconies, not smaller, but I have absolutely no confidence in the accuracy of that level of detail.

I hope that is of some help until someone with experience of some of these cabins comes along.

We sailed in a forward facing cabin once and it was beautiful and included a wrap around.   We admired it from inside the cabin while we sailed as it was too windy to enjoy.   In Glacier Bay we did use the balcony as the ship was at a full stop or very slowly sailing.    It’s a beautiful view but not usable when you are sailing.

Thanks for the info. I've booked 5148 as there were already none left of deck 6 or 7 so hopefully the view won't be blocked too much by the lifeboats below. Glad to hear you can the view from inside, otherwise I might spend a lot of time with a very windswept look :D

Last year on an Alaska cruise we had the equivalent of cabin 4141 - 4146 on the port side. It was an upgrade from a regular  balcony cabin.

It wasn't particularly windy but we had a lot of rain over the 10 days (except in port) so didn't use the balcony a lot. As has been pointed out, the forward view is blocked by lifeboats but being a larger balcony we didn't mind. If I was to book one of those I would prefer a higher deck. 

The interior of the cabin is larger than regular cabins. The extra space is angled, i.e. one bulkhead is longer than the other.

Edited by david,Mississauga
Typo