Trip Insurance

k2

Hey there everyone... What is your opinion of purchasing trip insurance? Is it cheaper through an the booking agent or on my own (generally speaking). Any suggestions on who to steer clear of and who are the "good guys". My biggest concern is weather related delays and or evacuation, but would also like to cover the medical emergency end if neccessary. I have never used the insurance, but we are traveling in Sept. and they are calling for an 'active season'. Any toughts or suggestions???

We have always used them for the premium coverage for their medical policy. Not that we need it as we are in good health, but on long or out of country coverage, evacuation etc, they seemed the best bang for your buck.

Last year, we paid for their premium coverage on a transatlantic sailing, but cancelled the cruise. I didn't research this issue of cancelling, and lost the $300.00+ we paid for the insurance. If we had booked another cruise and informed them of that, berfore cancelling, I believe we could have transferred that policy to the new cruise. Unfortunately, we lost the $$.

We now use the cruiselines coverage, for it leaves a bad tast in my mouth. I have heard whenever people have used Travelguard they have been happy with their policies when they did have to use them.

My hope was being a loyal customer to Travelguard, and we do cruise alot, they would have better customer service, and be able to do this. A lesson learned for not reading the fine print.

Why does not recommend insurance through the cruiseline? Was just curious. As when I got a quote from insuremytrip...it was only a few bucks less for the least expensive and then others running more expensive then the cruiseline's. So am curious why one would not use the cruislines. Thanks!

Why does not recommend insurance through the cruiseline? Was just curious. As when I got a quote from insuremytrip...it was only a few bucks less for the least expensive and then others running more expensive then the cruiseline's. So am curious why one would not use the cruislines. Thanks!

Because the some Cruiseline's insurance provides a refund in the means of cruise credits versus cash. Also air isn't included (it may if you book it through them but not sure).

We have purchased insurance through insuremytrip for our past 3 cruises and have been satisfied with what we got in regards to coverage and price paid.

We have never had to make a claim so I don't know how well that is handled.

We don't buy from the cruise line because we want to be able to add in the cost of our air, hotels, car rentals.

And yes, as far as insuremytrip goes the price does go down as the cruise gets closer, but then of course your taking a chance that something comes up and you need to cancel.

Funcruiser

I have used insuremytrip (.com) several times and recommend it over the cruiseline insurance . Insuremytrip is a broker for several insurance companies so they shop the market and offer an array of policies and prices to choose from. I have always gotten better coverage for less money using insuremytrip with a top rated A.M.Best company .

Because the some Cruiseline's insurance provides a refund in the means of cruise credits versus cash. Also air isn't included (it may if you book it through them but not sure).

That's actually a big plus for many people. All of the cruise line policies refund in cash if you cancel for a covered reason -- illness, etc. But they'll issue a credit toward a future cruise if you cancel for a NON-covered reason. If you cancel for a non-covered reason with most third-party policies you're out of luck.

For example, if a work-related situation might pop up at the last minute and cause you to cancel you have no protection with most third-party plans. But if you have a cruise line plan with the "cancel for any reason and get a future cruise credit" feature you will at least get a portion of your penalties held for future use.

The problem is that some people see the "future cruise credit" benefit and think that applies to all cases. It doesn't. Only to those that would otherwise be rejected for a cash refund.

As a TA, i have to say insurance is a MUST - dont even think about cruising without it. Should you slip and injure yourself requiring a emergency evacuation (and you would be surprised how often this happens) you could be facing a bill of $50,000

We have a very simple policy, customers either take our insurance or provide full details of insurance they have taken elsewhere or we will not permit boarding (We consider it a condition of booking) - it is that essential

As a TA, i have to say insurance is a MUST - dont even think about cruising without it. Should you slip and injure yourself requiring a emergency evacuation (and you would be surprised how often this happens) you could be facing a bill of $50,000

We have a very simple policy, customers either take our insurance or provide full details of insurance they have taken elsewhere or we will not permit boarding (We consider it a condition of booking) - it is that essential

What do you mean you don't permit "boarding"??? Would seem to me that you'd lose a good amount of business by forcing people to take the insurance. That is their choice, regardless of how you feel about it.

I'm traveling with my 3 kids and used insuremytrip.com to find a policy with TRAVELEX. They insure children under 16 at no additional cost, so it only cost $42 to insure our 5 night cruise. This is the Travel Plus policy (there was a cheaper option - Travel Lite for $37) which includes $500,000 medical.

I hope to never have to be able to tell you how they respond to a claim.

We've been on 7 cruises and have bought insurance for all of the trips. We have never had to use it but when we took a 13 other people with us last year on the Rhapsody - the majority being 1st time cruisers, we insisted they purchase the insurance.

I am glad we did because one the wife half of one of the couples spent 3 days confined to her cabin ill. The medical bill on the ship was close to $3,000. What her regular insurance didn't cover, the insurance we purchased through the cruise line did.

Never think that you don't need the insurance because it can't happen to me - it can.

Happy cruising - Mindy

I guess I will never be a client of yours. And I will never be facing a bill of $50,000.

At least in America, many people are already covered by insurance from where they work. When I am out of the country, I have the same coverage as when I am at home. This even covers medical evacuation when necessary. Just about everyone I know already has similar coverage. One exception is for people with Medicare only. They will not cover you out of the country, and insurance is a must in that situation.

My point is that people should at least check if they are already covered before taking additional insurance.

We generally purchase the cruise line's insurance because of the credit if we have to cancel for a non-covered reason. If you compare all of the policies on insuremytrip.com, only Travelsafe offers that option, for an additional cost. That is the most likely reason we would cancel - work emergency, sick pet, sick or dead relative from pre-existing condition, etc

As Lou said, many people (including us) already have medical insurance that cover us overseas, including the cost of a medevac. DH researched our coverage thoroughly in that regard. I wish we could customize our coverage and eliminate the medical portion.

Another issue is WHEN to purchase the insurance. Some companies will cover pre-existing conditions if you buy the insurance within 15 days of making your initial payment on the cruise. We don't purchase it until final payment, since we can cancel at any time before then without any penalty. So we're really only carrying insurance for 2-3 months, and it's awfully pricey when you think about it. So I won't!:D

Good Point Lou.... I will call my Medical Insurance for verification first, but I am still concerned about the 'busy' hurricane season. Are there a lot of loop holes for coverage that is storm related?

K2,

If there's a hurricane, then the cruiseline just reschedules your cruise, or give you a refund. No insurance needed. Same with airfare, chances are that if you don't have ships sail'in out, you don't have planes fly'in in either.

I wouldn't dream of not having insurance. Too many things can happen. I had to use it only once. There was a death in the family less than a week prior to sailing. Without insurance, would have been out the cost of cruise and airfare for entire family. Too many things in life happen that can't be predicted.

I guess I will never be a client of yours. And I will never be facing a bill of $50,000.

At least in America, many people are already covered by insurance from where they work. When I am out of the country, I have the same coverage as when I am at home. This even covers medical evacuation when necessary. Just about everyone I know already has similar coverage. One exception is for people with Medicare only. They will not cover you out of the country, and insurance is a must in that situation.

My point is that people should at least check if they are already covered before taking additional insurance.

Like with generalities there are exceptions.

1. Most large employers insurance cover medical outside the US. Its very complicated to collect. Requires a lot of paperwork.

2. Most small employers insurance and directly written policies do not cover outside the US.

3. Cruise line insurance is one price for all no matter your age, as you age it becomes relativeky less expensive vs the private insurance. In some cases because of the no fault cancellation policy the cruise line insurance covers more than the private ones although the private one have this available as well for a price. There is always an issue of the bankrutcy insurance you get if the cruise line folds, but in my experience if the cruiseline is in trouble, private insurers will exclude this coverage anyway(loses like this are actually a whole other discussion anyway).

4. Insuremy trip is a good way to see pricing from different sources.

5. Even when your health insurance covers outside the US, they will give you a hard time on evacuation costs back to the US(they will say you can be treated where you are). The cost of the ticket back if you are treated and released ok will be yours not the health insurance company and any cost of the companion with you will not be covered under your health insurance policy.

6. I don't know where the person who says they require cover is from but in the UK I have heard that almost all the TA's pretty much require that you buy it. In the cost conscious US, they would have a hard time.

7. Airfare coverage through the cruise line's insurance is only available if you buy the airfare through them.

So I agree you should check and see what your insurance covers but for the most part when you buy travel insurance you are buying it for reasons and coverage that are much more extensive than your health coverage alone. That being said I only buy the insurance about 1/2 the time...I don't buy it from close in cruises out of the US. I do buy it when traveling a far. Some risks I am willing to insure my self....

Merion Mom is the Poster Girl for BUY THE INSURANCE. Click on the link in my signature next to "Jewel of the Seas - the cruise we DIDN'T get to take"

...your links...which brings up another question about insurance. You said they wouldn't let you board in Key West because it is a US port. For our upcoming cruise they gave us lousy flights and we were scared of missing the ship. We finally paid to rebook our air. But before we did that they kept saying if you take the insurance it will pay for your catch up transportation to the next port, which since our first port is Cococay they said we would catch up in St. Thomas since you can't fly into Cococay. How could we do that if St. Thomas is a US port too?

Archived