A look at the Azura

babs135

12 hours ago, wowzz said:

Poor Babs - I bet she never realised she would face the Spanish Inquistion  when she posted here!

Probably not because ‘Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.’😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Does anyone know if Azura has been to Spain for her refit that was due March/April, seeing that there are no cruises to year end there is plenty of time I suppose

She is in to Southampton 2nd Sept then next in 30th September 

Edited by Officeboy
added text

5 minutes ago, Officeboy said:

Does anyone know if Azura has been to Spain for her refit that was due March/April, seeing that there are no cruises to year end there is plenty of time I suppose

She is in to Southampton 2nd Sept then next in 30th September 

It does seem rather a long time between visits to restock, so you might be onto something.

Maybe Moley will have some proper information for us.

17 hours ago, wowzz said:

Well, there is a split opinion about Mrs Brown,  but in my eyes you definitely pass.

Mind you,  there is still the cream tea test to pass before you can be truly welcomed into these hallowed posts !

You have a lovely warm scone in front of you - you cut it in half. What do you spread on the scone first - clotted cream or jam? 

Just be aware, there is no right or wrong answer to this question, but an explanation as to your decision could ve crucial. 

Also - Radley handbags?  Yes or no?

As I am sure you are aware, we have to be very careful as to  who is allowed to post on this forum! 😀

Sorry to have taken so long in replying but I decided to bake a batch of scones (as in gone) as an experiment in which way I preferred the jam and cream.  Conclusion was jam first and then the cream.  The other way round resulted in a mess as the weight of the jam caused the cream to keep sliding off the scone.  

Re handbags Radley is acceptable but I have a liking for Kipling handbags - probably something to do with liking scones and cakes.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, babs135 said:

Sorry to have taken so long in replying but I decided to bake a batch of scones (as in gone) as an experiment in which way I preferred the jam and cream.  Conclusion was jam first and then the cream.  The other way round resulted in a mess as the weight of the jam caused the cream to keep sliding off the scone.  

Re handbags Radley is acceptable but I have a liking for Kipling handbags - probably something to do with liking scones and cakes.

Welcome to the mad house Babs135 - you seem as nutty as the rest of us so am sure you will love the company ! 

Though I agree re the jam and cream, I am a bit worried as I love my scones (as in bones) and had no idea that a Kipling handbag existed, thinking Kipling was just a type of cake.  (exceedingly good ones I am told) 😞

I may get relegated back to the Ocean Village forum at this rate .......😨

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Presto2 said:

Welcome to the mad house Babs135 - you seem as nutty as the rest of us so am sure you will love the company ! 

Though I agree re the jam and cream, I am a bit worried as I love my scones (as in bones) and had no idea that a Kipling handbag existed, thinking Kipling was just a type of cake.  (exceedingly good ones I am told) 😞

Answering seriously .  Kipling bags are hugely versatile which is useful when cruising .  They even have one bag which with a bit of trickery converts into a backpack .  Not as expensive as some on the market !!

Just now, babs135 said:

Answering seriously .  Kipling bags are hugely versatile which is useful when cruising .  They even have one bag which with a bit of trickery converts into a backpack .  Not as expensive as some on the market !!

Off to investigate ---- hubby may regret this 🙂 Have to say, we should have been on Oceana at this moment in time and keeping on this forum has really cheered me up. Never fails to make me smile.... well, apart from when someone told me that they had sold my ship!) Thanks everyone and continue to stay safe 🙂

• Like 4

4 hours ago, babs135 said:

Conclusion was jam first and then the cream.  The other way round resulted in a mess as the weight of the jam caused the cream to keep sliding off the scone.  

Glad you agree, jam first. When I tried cream first the jam slid off and straight down my top. Welcome to the Barmy Brigade 

Avril 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, babs135 said:

16 minutes ago, Adawn47 said:

Glad you agree, jam first. When I tried cream first the jam slid off and straight down my top. Welcome to the Barmy Brigade 

Avril 

Avril, Babs, Welcome to the sensible side of the debate, its much easier, and far less messy, to spoon a blob of cream onto a thickly spread jammy scone, than t'other way round, and the spread jam makes a far better adhesive for the cream as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Avril, Babs, Welcome to the sensible side of the debate, its much easier, and far less messy, to spoon a blob of cream onto a thickly spread jammy scone, than t'other way round, and the spread jam makes a far better adhesive for the cream as well.

So do you put your butter on top of your filling in a sarnie? 

The cream is the butter, you spread it not dollop it... 

I give up with you lot😊

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, AndyMichelle said:

I give up with you lot😊

Andy 

Ah, that's where you're going wrong.

You don't spread it on in genteel fashion; you ladle it on. I always take my own trowel to afternoon tea.😊

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I give up with you lot😊

Andy 

Andy, but cornish or Devon clotted cream is presumably intended to be enjoyed in the round, not spread thinly onto the scone so you can hardly taste it, and if you leave it thickly spread, when you spread the jam on, you end up with a messy ripple effect.😇

• Like 3

3 hours ago, AndyMichelle said:

I give up with you lot😊

Andy 

No it’s not

It’s cream.

That’s the thing

It’s luscious, thick, clotted cream.
You dollop it on, so you taste it and feel its unctiousness in your mouth

That makes it a cream scone, not a scone with butter and jam, or a scone where a skimpy layer or cream replaces butter

• Like 4

So what happens if you put your jam on first, then cream ,then scone top to finish .

For those who like cream first, simply turn the scone upside down :classic_smile:

Now you have an upside down scone served the Devon way and anyone from Cornwall

walks by you ,simply turn the scone right way up and smile at them .Sorted :classic_wink:

Ps I'm putting weight on just reading this thread :classic_unsure:

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, kalos said:

So what happens if you put your jam on first, then cream ,then scone top to finish .

For those who like cream first, simply turn the scone upside down :classic_smile:

walks by you ,simply turn the scone right way up and smile at them .Sorted :classic_wink:

Then when you bite into it you have a messy goo of cream and jam squelch out from it.  No way, a clotted cream scone is to be enjoyed eaten in open halves so you can enjoy the taste of the thick cream and jam as it swirls into your mouth in a large dollop, (that's the cream and jam version of dollop, not Andy)🤭

Edited by terrierjohn
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Then when you bite into it you have a messy goo of cream and jam squelch out from it.  No way, a clotted cream scone is to be enjoyed eaten in open halves so you can enjoy the taste of the thick cream and jam as it swirls into your mouth in large dollop, (that's the cream and jam version of dollop, not Andy)🤭

My diabetic nurse says ... Noooo  !   :classic_ohmy:    :classic_wink::classic_smile:

Not to worry you can have mine as well John :classic_biggrin:

15 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Then when you bite into it you have a messy goo of cream and jam squelch out from it.  No way, a clotted cream scone is to be enjoyed eaten in open halves so you can enjoy the taste of the thick cream and jam as it swirls into your mouth in a large dollop, (that's the cream and jam version of dollop, not Andy)🤭

You'll do for me John. The cleanest and deliciously correct way to eat a Yorkshire cream scone(stone)😋

Avril

18 hours ago, Presto2 said:

I like mine laying down ( as in prone😁). I like jam first, then butter, then cream followed by more butter ( As in James Martin). I prefer handbags left at home ( as in my credit cards as well).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kalos said:

This subject is of extreme importance in deciding, do I wear a white , or red top?. Or do I take it off whilst partaking in  the scone eating experience. 

2 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

Andy, but cornish or Devon clotted cream is presumably intended to be enjoyed in the round, not spread thinly onto the scone so you can hardly taste it, and if you leave it thickly spread, when you spread the jam on, you end up with a messy ripple effect.😇

If you have a cream tea, cream first.

In a jam tea you can put jam on first.😁