Mt McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge shuttle

Masumigr

We plan on doing an independent tour in Talkeetna. Has anyone experienced problems getting on the shuttle they wanted/needed from the lodge to Talkeetna?  I understand Princess excursions take priority getting on the shuttle. Any insight would be appreciated.

I see you’re new to Cruise Critic with 7 posts.  Welcome Masumigr (Russ & Cindy)from Wisconsin.

This thread (Princess Cruises) will certainly provide comments to your concerns.  I would also use the “Port of Call” for Alaska forum which will provide a more robust functionality for your questions, comments and/or suggestions.

John

17 hours ago, Masumigr said:

We plan on doing an independent tour in Talkeetna. Has anyone experienced problems getting on the shuttle they wanted/needed from the lodge to Talkeetna?  I understand Princess excursions take priority getting on the shuttle. Any insight would be appreciated.

There should not be any problem. Just be sure to allow enough time to get to your tour. It takes about an hour from the lodge to Talkeetna and you may want to take an earlier shuttle in case the schedule is delayed.

The shuttle only runs about once an hour.  When we have been there Princess tours used different buses.  While the lodge has a great view of the south face of the mountain when it is out it is totally isolated from anything else.  Our least favorite lodge.

• Like 1

We stayed at the McKinley lodge and hoped to take the shuttle to Talkeetna. I'm told the word Talkeetna means something like where two rivers meet. They do. The town was washed out and we couldn't go.  The railroad tracks were also washed out and we took a bus for the entire inland Cruisetour portion instead of the railroad.  You asked for insight?  Here it is: Be prepared to go with alternatives. Even in summer, Alaska's extreme climate can put a dent in your best plans.

Edited by mtnesterz

On 8/22/2020 at 9:27 AM, LeeW said:

The shuttle only runs about once an hour.  When we have been there Princess tours used different buses.  While the lodge has a great view of the south face of the mountain when it is out it is totally isolated from anything else.  Our least favorite lodge.

How many of the Princess lodges have you visited?

Have you been to the Copper River Lodge? It's pretty dang isolated as well. If you want to take the fjord cruise from there it's a 2 hour drive to Valdez. The closest "towns" are extremely small - population 190 or so. At least Talkeetna has the Denali Brew Pub. We've visited the pub each time we've been to Talkeetna. The Denali Brewing Company has their brewery about 12 miles outside of town. We visited there while on a 7 week camping trip. Excellent beer. I wish I could get their Chuli Stout where  I live. 😎

Kenai Lodge may well be our favorite and it is pretty dang isolated as well. It's an hour drive to Seward. Great fjord excursion there (absolutely loved it). Seward has a brewpub which we discovered on our camping trip. The only Princess lodge that isn't isolated is Denali Lodge. (We don't really count the hotel in Fairbanks.) These lodges are listed as "Wilderness Lodges" for a reason. Yes, Denali is listed as a "wilderness lodge" too but it's really right "in town" with business right there.

Thrak-I know your question above was addressed to LeeW  but did want to add we appreciate “remote” as we live on a lake in far northern Wisconsin.
I also wanted to add that we aren’t  trading in one lodge experience for another as we are excited to be visiting all 5 lodges on our cruise tour. I guess we will know our favorite after that. Going a day early so will end up being 3 nights with Princess at Fairbanks and 2 nights each at Denali, McKinley, Copper River and Kenai. To ship will be motor coach to Valdez, then several hour catamaran through Princess William Sound to cruise ship.

In case this is our only trip to Alaska , wanted to see as much as we can. Hopefully 2 nights at each one will help alleviate some long days of travel between lodges.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Masumigr said:

Thrak-I know your question above was addressed to LeeW  but did want to add we appreciate “remote” as we live on a lake in far northern Wisconsin.
I also wanted to add that we aren’t  trading in one lodge experience for another as we are excited to be visiting all 5 lodges on our cruise tour. I guess we will know our favorite after that. Going a day early so will end up being 3 nights with Princess at Fairbanks and 2 nights each at Denali, McKinley, Copper River and Kenai. To ship will be motor coach to Valdez, then several hour catamaran through Princess William Sound to cruise ship.

In case this is our only trip to Alaska , wanted to see as much as we can. Hopefully 2 nights at each one will help alleviate some long days of travel between lodges.

Sounds like a fabulous trip. You’ll fall in love with Alaska.

5 hours ago, Masumigr said:

I would love to be going back. We're booked for Alaska next September but it's a cruise only. If the cruise actually sails we'll get to visit two ports that are new to us - Icy Strait Point and Sitka - but we really do love the land trips. If you like beer there is a great brew pub - 49th State Brewing Company - across the street from the Denali lodge and, in Talkeetna, there is the Denali Brew Pub. I wish our cruise tours had included the catamaran in Prince William Sound to the ship. It sounds much cooler than the bus to Whittier.

I'm guessing you will absolutely love your trip. Enjoy!

25 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I would love to be going back. We're booked for Alaska next September but it's a cruise only. If the cruise actually sails we'll get to visit two ports that are new to us - Icy Strait Point and Sitka - but we really do love the land trips. If you like beer there is a great brew pub - 49th State Brewing Company - across the street from the Denali lodge and, in Talkeetna, there is the Denali Brew Pub. I wish our cruise tours had included the catamaran in Prince William Sound to the ship. It sounds much cooler than the bus to Whittier.

I'm guessing you will absolutely love your trip. Enjoy!

That sounds like the one we have booked for next year, the Sapphire on September 15? We've not been on the Sapphire so the ship will be new to us. Icy Strait Point and Sitka were what attracted us to this sailing. Can't wait! 

1 hour ago, cruzluvr2 said:

That sounds like the one we have booked for next year, the Sapphire on September 15? We've not been on the Sapphire so the ship will be new to us. Icy Strait Point and Sitka were what attracted us to this sailing. Can't wait! 

Yes, Sapphire on September 15. We sailed Sapphire on a 12 day to Norway out of Southampton in 2019. The roll call for the Alaska cruise is located here: