Dining time waitlist

ore-ee-gun

We booked only a month ago for our upcoming Oosterdam cruise - all seatings for dinner were "waitlisted", so we stated our preference and are hoping for the best. It only occurred to me later to wonder why ALL seatings would be waitlisted. Anybody have experience with this?

There may be a date (or even number of pax) beyond which the reservations agents are permitted to guarantee a dining time. The maitre d' is the final arbiter of any dining times, and, even though guaranteed, they can be changed. This is not an unusual event. If you have no table assignment upon boarding (usually in your cabin), see the maitre d' ASAP after boarding. Don't wait until dinner!

Remember that the Oosterdam now has the "leisure Dining". When you get your packet at embarkation, there will be a crd inside stating whether you have early or late seating and it should have a table number on it. Early - you can go anywhere from 5:30 - 6. Main (late) - you can go to the dining room anywhere from 8 - 9 PM.

We had , also, booked late on th Oo and could only get late dining. There was a large group that took over the early dining.

All others were put in late, down at the maitre d''s, we were 134 in line to change, so we opted to eat none of our meals in the DR.

Lido was fantastic - now I'm spoiled and don't want to eat in the DR.

Much more relaxed, no big wait for each course, etc.

One night we ate in the Pinnacle, too.

We dressed as we would for a casual night in the DR (long pants) so we would fit in the rest of the night, formal night, we dressed and ate in Pinnacle.

Is it possible that this cruise includes a large group which will be accommodated first??

Dang, I hope not. I've always taken care of my dining with the Maitre d' the day of the cruise. Can anything be accomplished by calling HAL?

Dan

On Amsterdam recently there were 4 seatings, 5.45 on the upper tier, 6.15 lower tier , then 8.15 upper and 8.30 lower

This made a mess of trying to get seats in the show room if you were on the 6.15 dining.

As for seeing Maitre D on boarding, he was so besieged they locked the doors of the room he was in and told people to come back next day!

By the way I heard (and was among the) many who objected to HAL arbritarily adding $10 per day each day to the bill. I have always paid those who gave me service more than the suggested amount. I checked on this cruise, to see how much went to the staff I normally tip. Guess what

Cabin steward got $1.50 per day Dining steward 1.50 and his assistant $1.5O so who got the rest? I bet HAL skimmed the gratuities pool first and formost

Adding to your bill this way is a "rip off" on part of HAL.

..... I bet HAL skimmed the gratuities pool first and formost

Before you start accusing the cruiseline of 'skimming' and 'rip offs', Jimsgirl, you might have asked questions of the proper staff on your ship as to where the entire $10/day goes and you would have been told. Who did you ask on the ship and when they only accounted for $4.50 did you not ask about the remaining $5.50/day, before saying HAL is skimming the tips? It is not a secret, in fact, the distribution is posted many times right here on CC. That is not to say all pax like the current tipping system, but it is no secret as to who gets the gratuities.

This is something your TA should have told you when you booked since it apparently is new since your last HAL cruise, or this may be your first HAL cruise. Most disaffections with policies comes from the fact that so many TAs don't do their jobs and give their clients pertinent information so that they will 'know before they go'.

We booked only a month ago for our upcoming Oosterdam cruise - all seatings for dinner were "waitlisted", so we stated our preference and are hoping for the best. It only occurred to me later to wonder why ALL seatings would be waitlisted. Anybody have experience with this?

I have seen this often. I have no idea why they do. Try booking a cruise a month out and you will probably see "waitlisted" for all seating. this is pure speculation but maybe the number of pax hit a certain limit, then they automatically do this.

Early usually goes first. I don't know what you booked but yes, you can hope for the best. :)

If you want a different dining time check the HAL website everyday. Everything was waitlisted except the 8:30 when we booked last week so our TA gave us that. Several days later I was on the HAL website and noticed that the 8:00 was open (first choice) so the TA was able to confirm the earlier seating.

I have seen this often. I have no idea why they do. Try booking a cruise a month out and you will probably see "waitlisted" for all seating. this is pure speculation but maybe the number of pax hit a certain limit, then they automatically do this.

Early usually goes first. I don't know what you booked but yes, you can hope for the best. :)

Thanks for the encouraging words... We requested main upper, but since we know they're tweaking the dining room schedule, we'll be OK with either upper or lower. Matter of fact, the closer we get to sailing, early seating sounds great too! :p

On Amsterdam recently there were 4 seatings, 5.45 on the upper tier, 6.15 lower tier , then 8.15 upper and 8.30 lower

This made a mess of trying to get seats in the show room if you were on the 6.15 dining.

As for seeing Maitre D on boarding, he was so besieged they locked the doors of the room he was in and told people to come back next day!

By the way I heard (and was among the) many who objected to HAL arbritarily adding $10 per day each day to the bill. I have always paid those who gave me service more than the suggested amount. I checked on this cruise, to see how much went to the staff I normally tip. Guess what

Cabin steward got $1.50 per day Dining steward 1.50 and his assistant $1.5O so who got the rest? I bet HAL skimmed the gratuities pool first and formost

I agree with you 100%! Take a look at the cost of a can of Soda Pop....$2.02/can including tax.....I can buy Soda Pop at the local Market....four 12 packs for $10 + tax......48 cans x $2.02 = $96.96....PRETTY GOOD PROFIT I WOULD SAY!

we booked a couple weeks ago & are sailing with you on 3/4/06...we are also wait listed for main seating - were told nothing available.

how can we find out if a large group is also booked on the cruise? We sailed with a large group 8 or 9 years ago, and it was NOT FUN. Shape rite or something like that, they were constantly cornering passengers & trying to sell stuff. Everything was geared around them, and it put a damper on things for my family & friend's family.

how can we find out if a large group is also booked on the cruise?

I asked this very question on another thread and was told about this site that lists group cruises:

http://www.geocities.com/cruise_trubey/

Nothing listed for our sailing, but I guess that doesn't necessarily mean there won't be one. :o

Thanks!

Just saw my guarantee cabin posted on immigration form...not a happy camper. Category & deck is fine, handicapped cabin not. I am not a shower person, must have a tub...and hear the layout is strange because of the wheelchair access. I hope I can get this changed before sailing...dh & I are celebrating our 31st anniversary at sea...just hit 50 and am nowhere near in need of handicapped conveniences...

I will stay positive and it will all work out...

Archived